What will happen when Logitech decides it doesn't want to keep paying for the domain?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Superkikim
    • Apr 2008

What will happen when Logitech decides it doesn't want to keep paying for the domain?

Hi all,

I'm a SB owner and lover. I love the open source solution, and I know the community is huge and active, which is tremendous.

However, now Logitech has stopped all production and sale around these product, they might well decide to give up on the slimdevices domain, and probably stop the mysqueezebox service... What would happen to all the content of this forum then ?
  • Jimini
    • Mar 2015

Well, we are not just Squeezebox customers, we are (most of us) Logitech customers too, and that hasn't changed. I very much doubt this site would shut down while it is so active. It costs Logitech very little to keep it, and Logitech has no incentive to harm its customers just because the devices they bought are no longer sold. Plus it sorta promotes Logitech to show dedication to customers who bought their (expensive) devices. About the server though, I don't know. The right thing to do is to keep it since there are still many users. But I have no idea how much it costs Logitech. Shutting it down is not without cost, though.
    Devices: Squeezebox Duet (x2), Transporter (x1), iPeng.
    Ripping with dBPoweramp (beta for Mac).

Comment

• DJanGo
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Superkikim
      However, now Logitech has stopped all production and sale around these product,
      depends wats "now" early 2011?
      they might well decide to give up on the slimdevices domain, and probably stop the mysqueezebox service...
      mysqueezebox is huge and if they want to stop something expensive they would start with that.

What would happen to all the content of this forum then ?
      its the internet - all contents are archived many times on some places already.

I dont use radiostreams over mysqb, i am fine with 7.9 even when newer versions are a huge thing.
      What to do?
      nothing other than help the comunity and use your stuff till the end.

Comment

• garym
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Jimini
        Well, we are not just Squeezebox customers, we are (most of us) Logitech customers too, and that hasn't changed. I very much doubt this site would shut down while it is so active. It costs Logitech very little to keep it, and Logitech has no incentive to harm its customers just because the devices they bought are no longer sold. Plus it sorta promotes Logitech to show dedication to customers who bought their (expensive) devices. About the server though, I don't know. The right thing to do is to keep it since there are still many users. But I have no idea how much it costs Logitech. Shutting it down is not without cost, though.
        I wish you were right. Maybe you are. But I suspect the reason that this forum site still exists is that no one is paying attention rather than Logitech is trying to show us dedication. I can tell you that the official logitech forums related to squeezeboxes and networked music players/speakers just went under a major renovation. The changes make it essentially unusable (and it wasn't fantastic before the change). See:

Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
        Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
        Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
        The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
        Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
        Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Fizbin
          • Jan 2013

We'll see what happens in 2019, when it expires.

Comment

• garym
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Fizbin
            We'll see what happens in 2019, when it expires.
            when what expires?
            Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
            Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
            Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Fizbin
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by garym
              when what expires?
              Domain Name: mysqueezebox.com
              Registry Domain ID: 144563919_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
              Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
              Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
              Updated Date: 2015-12-18T04:00:17-0800
              Creation Date: 2005-03-01T11:04:39-0800
              Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-03-01T11:04:39-0800

Comment

• epoch1970
                • Apr 2008

Well slimdevices.com was renewed mid 2016 for one year.
                Since it is the defacto support touch point for SB users I don't see why it wouldn't be renewed yearly until SB.com is finally put out to pasture.
                Which doesn't mean the forum software can't go away, but then again I can't see the advantage in doing this.
                2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• snoopy86
                  • Sep 2015

How are we affected if the sb.com domain is dropped or service stoped? As i understand the community is releasing new version of the sw. Why would logitech actions be relevant?

I could see a problem only if you still use official radio apps and others that rely on the service but all of this has been replaced with better 3 party solutions anyway.

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by snoopy86
                    How are we affected if the sb.com domain is dropped or service stoped? As i understand the community is releasing new version of the sw. Why would logitech actions be relevant?

I could see a problem only if you still use official radio apps and others that rely on the service but all of this has been replaced with better 3 party solutions anyway.
                    Some services wouldn't work because there's not a 3rd party solution. For example, Pandora would no longer work without mysqueezebox.com.

Comment

• Mnyb
                      • Feb 2006

The third party Spotify solution is not up to date and probably never will be again and you loose the other radio services and indexing , with LMS only its back to your locally stored music and radio bookmarks .
                      You can connect the icKstream service to LMS and have apps that way , tidal for example .

However I think LMS 7.9 has a built in rudimentary fallback to TuneIn for radio if no LMS exists , so 7.9 should still present some radio menus ?

But ofcourse you will always need your local LMS without mysqueezebox.com
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                      Bedroom/Office: Boom
                      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• mherger
                        Babelfish's Best Boy
                        • Apr 2005

What will happen when Logitech decides it doesn't wantto keep paying for the domain?

> However I think LMS 7.9 has a built in rudimentary fallback to TuneIn
                        > for radio if no LMS exists , so 7.9 should still present some radio
                        > menus ?

Yes, LMS 7.9 should provide the Radios menu even without mysb.com.

--

Michael
                        Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                        (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• snoopy86
                          • Sep 2015

Ok, so the radio is the most effected in this case.

It would be interesting to see how many LMS users also have subscription to one of those stream engines (spotify, pandora,...). I have a hunch that it is lower than 10%. I personally use free spotify account and play it trough iphone to LMS devices and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• garym
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by snoopy86
                            Ok, so the radio is the most effected in this case.
                            Why do you say that? Radio can connect to lms just like the other players.

Comment

• Mnyb
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by garym
                              Why do you say that? Radio can connect to lms just like the other players.
                              All squeezeboxes has almost the same abilities regarding using services and radio even more so if you use LMS ?
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                              Bedroom/Office: Boom
                              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Working...