PDA

View Full Version : Does a Squeezbox degrade over time?

eschurr
2016-08-10, 15:26
i recently moved into a new house with a new network and a full blown Sonos system (nine rooms). It's all great, BUT my Squeezebox is not working properly. When playing music from my PC it "struggles" -- songs fade out and "stumble" (this is hard to describe).

I had some network experts here today that say it's my Squeezebox -- they say it is making buffering requests (or something like that) and it can't "keep up." I find this hard to believe because it worked great two months ago in my old house.

Have you heard of a SB that degrades over time and becomes unusable? Is there anything i can do to get it working properly? I have thousands of songs in iTunes and i love my AB because i use the iTunes plugin to tell iTunes when the song was last played (i generated iTunes Smart Playlists based on date last played).

Mnyb
2016-08-10, 15:30
Yes everything degrades over time it's called "entropy" :)

But you just have a typical network issue that's not uncommon around here , go check out a lots of treads that already exists on the topic .

The wifi has never been particularly top notch in any squeezebox at the same time as streaming can be somewhat demanding .

And have you changed the network layout and components since moving ?

eschurr
2016-08-10, 15:59
Yes everything degrades over time it's called "entropy" :)

But you just have a typical network issue that's not uncommon around here , go check out a lots of treads that already exists on the topic .

The wifi has never been particularly top notch in any squeezebox at the same time as streaming can be somewhat demanding .

And have you changed the network layout and components since moving ?

thanks.

1. My SB has never worked right since i moved in here. that's part of the reason the guys were here today. I think it's a networking issue, but they say it's not because they used Sonos to play music over WiFi from my PC where my music is stored with no problem. So they contend it is the SB that can't "keep up."
2. My SB is hardwired, which i thought would've made it run well. :(

Mnyb
2016-08-10, 21:45
Wait what have Sonos to do with it ? Do you have a Sonos system ?

PC that runs LMS should if possible be wired ? The server is not wireless ?

Can you simply describe your system , server and OS and your network components .

cliveb
2016-08-10, 22:45
thanks.

1. My SB has never worked right since i moved in here. that's part of the reason the guys were here today. I think it's a networking issue, but they say it's not because they used Sonos to play music over WiFi from my PC where my music is stored with no problem. So they contend it is the SB that can't "keep up."
2. My SB is hardwired, which i thought would've made it run well. :(
I think the Sonos is a red herring. Unless something has changed since I last read about it, Sonos uses a proprietary mesh network that is specifically designed to work well for music streaming. So the fact that the Sonos system is working provides no real evidence that your core network is healthy.

Can you stream stuff from the net in a browser (eg. video clips on a news site)? If you can, that would suggest your network is ok, and in that case since your SB isn't working even hard wired, my guess is that the LMS server is not operating correctly. That's where I would start looking.

DJanGo
2016-08-11, 01:37
Hi,

"network experts" "rebuffering" *roflol*

proof of concept:

shut down all your Sonos devices.
try again with your squeezebox.

You had to understand some facts:

Wlan is a common used technic - when moving from house to house you come to another zone where more or less of your neighbours using Wlan with "your" wlan channel.
You'll need to know if some of your Neighbours / your Sonos is using these channels.
Download some scanner eg this one (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/).

Install it and take a look whats used unused.
Start your Sonos devices
Take a new look into the scanner.

If you find something - change channels.
Try again.

But thats only a snapshot - you'll never know which Neighbour changes adds his own stuff - so Ethernet (cable) is the short path to solve things.

IMHO some older squeezeboxes tends to need new Networks Adapters - depends on your device what you have to change (eg the squeezebox V3 uses mini-PCI card) a common std. Adapter back in the days.

cliveb
2016-08-11, 11:13
But thats only a snapshot - you'll never know which Neighbour changes adds his own stuff - so Ethernet (cable) is the short path to solve things.
But the OP has already stated that his SB is hard wired. So in this case, it's not a WiFi issue.

The obvious first thing to do is disconnect all network devices except the LMS machine and the SB and see if it works. If it does, there's a contention problem on the network caused by other devices. If it doesn't, chances are the problem is in the LMS server - although I suppose the ethenet port in the SB *might* happen to have died when he moved house.

eschurr
2016-08-13, 15:56
thanks to everyone for their input. Here are some things to note:

the SB is hard wired to my network (my device does not seem to have wireless capability, anyway) and its output is going directly to a Sonos connect device so it can be played throughout my Sonos grid. That's why i can't test it without the Sonos system. I have nine Sonos connectors in my house, each powering a set of speakers in a different location.

LMS is running on a Surface Book with running 64bit Windows 10 with an i7 2.6GH processor and 16 GB of memory with a 1TB hard drive. It's a pretty rockin' machine as far as laptops go. And it's a much faster processor with more memory than the last PC i had LMS running on.

I sure would love some clever way to figure out if its LMS, the SB, or my network.

garym
2016-08-13, 17:01
thanks to everyone for their input. Here are some things to note:

the SB is hard wired to my network (my device does not seem to have wireless capability, anyway) and its output is going directly to a Sonos connect device so it can be played throughout my Sonos grid. That's why i can't test it without the Sonos system. I have nine Sonos connectors in my house, each powering a set of speakers in a different location.

LMS is running on a Surface Book with running 64bit Windows 10 with an i7 2.6GH processor and 16 GB of memory with a 1TB hard drive. It's a pretty rockin' machine as far as laptops go. And it's a much faster processor with more memory than the last PC i had LMS running on.

I sure would love some clever way to figure out if its LMS, the SB, or my network.

Is the laptop running LMS wired or wireless? (the powerful laptop is good, but none of that overcomes a networking problem).
And none of my business, but with 9 SONOS units, why are you interested in continuing to run a single sqeezebox player?

DJanGo
2016-08-14, 00:51
..and its output is going directly to a Sonos connect device so it can be played throughout my Sonos grid. That's why i can't test it without the Sonos system.

a chain is only that strong as the weakest member
If you want to find the weakest member - you'll have to re-arrange /shorten the chain.

eschurr
2016-08-14, 06:10
Is the laptop running LMS wired or wireless? (the powerful laptop is good, but none of that overcomes a networking problem).
And none of my business, but with 9 SONOS units, why are you interested in continuing to run a single sqeezebox player?

the laptop is wireless.

I use the SB to stream my music library and the Sonos units allow me to play it all in any room I want. of course I also use the Sonos to play Spotify, Amason, Pandora, etc.

garym
2016-08-14, 06:14
the laptop is wireless.

I use the SB to stream my music library and the Sonos units allow me to play it all in any room I want. of course I also use the Sonos to play Spotify, Amason, Pandora, etc.

1. Try a test by wiring the laptop with ethernet. Seems like currently you have two or more wifi hops. One from LMS on laptop and others when one SONOS unit connects with other SONOS units (this could be wifi or Sonos Mesh wifi net).

2. Any reason you don't simply use the SONOS system to stream your own music? (Or do you have more than about 60,000 files, or use hi-res files (24/96 or 24/192)? As that would limit SONOS. Otherwise, SONOS can stream your own music library.

EDIT: another potential issue. I think (but i'm not sure) that anything going in the Audio Input of a SONOS (to then be rebroadcast to other SONOS units) will be converted to PCM (a large file). There are (I recall) some settings in SONOS to tell it to use some sort of data compression here. So you should look for that option in Sonos and test that.

Edit2: And ultimately, to really test your Squeezebox player, I'd test it independent of the SONOS system. Can't you connect a cheap selfpowered computer speaker to it, just to confirm that the squeezebox player itself works. Bottom line, there are a lot of moving parts here and you need to isolate and test the components.