PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] iPeng 9.1 with Today Widget for iOS 9

pippin
2016-08-05, 19:43
iPeng Widgetry

As the summer vacation has officially started and will hopefully bring you a lot of hot and sunny days on the beach, iPeng comes with a brand new feature that makes it even easier to cool down and relax with your music at home: a so called “Today Widget”, an extension that allows you to place iPeng in the Notification Center on your lock screen, thus enabling an even faster and easier way to control some of your iPeng functions.

What does it do?
The main idea behind the widget is to let you quickly control your players without having to unlock the screen of your iOS device, so the main focus is on displaying information about the current track and giving you player controls.
You can switch between two sizes for the widget: a compact format that only shows information for the current track and a bigger format giving you controls for play/pause, volume and skipping between tracks and within a track (+/- 30s).

This way, you will have easy access to your basic iPeng functions and won’t have to waste any more time on unlocking the screen. And if you need more features, you can quickly launch the full iPeng app by tapping the title information in the widget.

If you want more information and screen shots you can find it in the iPeng Blog: http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2016/08/06/ipeng-widgetry/
Or directly on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipeng-7/id767266886?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l56j

So, that’s iPeng’s new Today Widget. Enjoy even faster control of your music and have fun!

MikeSlim
2016-08-05, 23:47
Very nice widget. It makes operating the iPeng even faster and more convenient. Thanks for the great work. Michael

d6jg
2016-08-06, 03:24
Like it 👍

Juggler
2016-08-06, 04:16
Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epoch1970
2016-08-06, 05:22
It's great! Thanks, Pippin.

ademathews
2016-08-06, 10:20
This is a fantastic addition to a fantastic app - thanks very much indeed! Great work.

MrC
2016-08-06, 11:37
Just purchased version 9. I think we had a very old version, and have been using Squeezepad for ages, and thought I'd venture into the iPeng waters again.

When I launched the app, the welcome screen says Welcome to iPeng 8! Probably time to update some artwork.

pippin
2016-08-06, 11:40
Just purchased version 9. I think we had a very old version, and have been using Squeezepad for ages, and thought I'd venture into the iPeng waters again.

When I launched the app, the welcome screen says Welcome to iPeng 8! Probably time to update some artwork.

Oh, which device and OS is this? iOS 7? Language?

MrC
2016-08-06, 11:48
Oh, which device and OS is this? iOS 7? Language?

iPad Air 2, iOS 9.3.4, English.

Tutorial:

pippin
2016-08-06, 11:51
Ah, found it, thanks. It's not artwork, it's some language files not being updated. Will fix that.

d6jg
2016-08-07, 14:42
Is there a wee bug in 9.1? I add an album and say Play Next. It adds one after the now playing track. I delete the one in the middle and it seems I delete the now playing track.

9.1 on on iPhone 6s fully up dated iOS wise.

pippin
2016-08-07, 14:44
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. You are deleting a track from the current playlist and it deletes a different one? By swiping left? Or what do you do?
I don't think there have been any changes around this in 9.1

d6jg
2016-08-07, 15:14
I mean I add an album as Play Next and it adds as Play Next plus 1.
So I delete the track between and it deletes the track now playing!?
I didn't experience before upgrading AFAIK

Deletion is by swipe left or via Edit and Trash

pippin
2016-08-07, 15:17
Does it also show the wrong track as playing? There's a server bug that the server is sometimes a track behind or ahead (forgot which one).
Adding the album one track too far isn't iPeng's fault, there's no command to add something at a certain index, it's the server's responsibility to place it but deleting a track should delete the correct one.

Do you maybe use some automatic playlist handling like random mix or dstm?

d6jg
2016-08-07, 15:19
Does it also show the wrong track as playing? There's a server bug that the server is sometimes a track behind or ahead (forgot which one).
Adding the album one track too far isn't iPeng's fault, there's no command to add something at a certain index, it's the server's responsibility to place it but deleting a track should delete the correct one.

Do you maybe use some automatic playlist handling like random mix or dstm?

Yes sometimes but not always. And yes this is an Play Next in a middle of DSTM

pippin
2016-08-07, 15:21
Probably a DSTM-bug :)

d6jg
2016-08-07, 15:35
Fair point. That is also "new".

Nautilus
2016-08-08, 02:07
Hi,

I'm running iPhone 6 with latest iOS and it seems that no matter what I try to push on the today widget, nothing happens. E.g. trying to turn on/off a player, trying to play / pause player etc. Has anyone else experienced something like this? A very nice and eagerly awaited feature, hopefully can get it working somehow...:)

pippin
2016-08-08, 03:27
Hi,

I'm running iPhone 6 with latest iOS and it seems that no matter what I try to push on the today widget, nothing happens. E.g. trying to turn on/off a player, trying to play / pause player etc. Has anyone else experienced something like this? A very nice and eagerly awaited feature, hopefully can get it working somehow...:)

Does your server have username/password enabled?
I'm investigating an issue around that, the credentials don't seem to always get transferred to the widget if you had the server already configured when updating the App.
Could you try to switch to another server (e.g. MySqueezebox.com) or uninstall and reinstall the App?

Nautilus
2016-08-09, 01:07
Does your server have username/password enabled?
I'm investigating an issue around that, the credentials don't seem to always get transferred to the widget if you had the server already configured when updating the App.
Could you try to switch to another server (e.g. MySqueezebox.com) or uninstall and reinstall the App?

Yes I have authentication enabled. Tried switching to mysqueezebox.com but it did not help. I'd like to avoid reinstalling the app as I would need to take note of all the app settings to restore them (I guess). But if it is the only way, then I just need to go ahead and do it...:)

pippin
2016-08-09, 03:07
Yes I have authentication enabled. Tried switching to mysqueezebox.com but it did not help. I'd like to avoid reinstalling the app as I would need to take note of all the app settings to restore them (I guess). But if it is the only way, then I just need to go ahead and do it...:)

OK, then please don't, someone else has tried it, too, without success.
It's a problem with the password sync through the keychain and I have to find out what exactly it is, I think often the credentials don't get stored because iOS handles the authentication automatically in the App which it doesn't for the widgets.
Widgets are a real nuisance to implement....

Sorry, for now you probably have to turn off username/password to use the widget.

One more question: when you switched to MySqueezebox.com, did you incidentally have a player connected there and did it work (after you re-enter your credentials for it in the App as it tells you to)?

Nautilus
2016-08-09, 15:17
OK, then please don't, someone else has tried it, too, without success.
It's a problem with the password sync through the keychain and I have to find out what exactly it is, I think often the credentials don't get stored because iOS handles the authentication automatically in the App which it doesn't for the widgets.
Widgets are a real nuisance to implement....

Sorry, for now you probably have to turn off username/password to use the widget.

One more question: when you switched to MySqueezebox.com, did you incidentally have a player connected there and did it work (after you re-enter your credentials for it in the App as it tells you to)?

I did not do any testing with mysqueezebox.com, but afterwards I added the server manually and it started working! Then I removed the server and it kept working also by using the auto-discovery. But there is still a slight issue that I cannot control the players' on / off status separately from the widget - it seems to only control the whole group even though in the sync settings I have specified to power on / off separately (and the volume controls as well). Is this currently a limitation in the widget or is there still something funny going on with my specific setup?

===========
edit:
I may have spoken too soon. It now seems not to be working anymore - at least in any other way than showing the current state / what is playing. Also, I'm afraid removing the authentication is not an option for me in the short term at least, so I'll just keep hoping you can overcome the hurdles that Apple has set for widgets...:)

Nautilus
2016-08-15, 12:48
Come to think of it, I have another application ("Pilot" - for home control) that has a working today widget which also requires authentication to be able to function. With this app the credentials are stored in the app settings, but I have no clue about any of the technical details on how the widget is able to use those...

And yes, also the Logitech Harmony widget works with authentication :)

pippin
2016-08-24, 13:10

Do you still have authentication enabled and having issues?
Could you please send me a mail (or another one in case you already did)? I could use a beta tester for a potential fix.
The mail address is coolio att penguinlovesmusic dott com

Nautilus
2016-08-27, 14:30
Do you still have authentication enabled and having issues?
Could you please send me a mail (or another one in case you already did)? I could use a beta tester for a potential fix.
The mail address is coolio att penguinlovesmusic dott com

Sure thing, just sent you an email...:)

Nautilus
2016-09-01, 22:28
Sure thing, just sent you an email...:)

Seems that everything will be fixed in the next release, good job! :D

pippin
2016-09-04, 05:39
iPeng 9.1.1 is now available on the App Store.
It fixes the problems with authenticating LMS servers for the widget and makes the widget respect the "Group Controls" setting in iPeng. It also fixes the Genres menu with LMS 7.9 and a single artist list.

On the feature side the sharing functionality now also adds links for Deezer and TIDAL and can also play these links (e.g. from facebook).

Have fun!