PDA

View Full Version : Controller: possible to scroll down more quickly?

Atlantic
2016-07-29, 05:11
Lucky us. Finally managed to install our new Duets, and using the Controller for the first few times. Very handy and, of course, the sound from the Receivers is great.

We've been using another Receiver on its own, before this, controlling it from the web panel or from the official Android app and, though we can do the same for these new installs, the Controller is a little easier for some family members to use. We have a fairly large repository of music, very many short pieces, and so we have something over 3,000 artists. So far, we prefer to scroll through the 'Artists' to find the music but this takes us a while using the scroll wheel. None of us has used a scroll wheel previously, and I wondered whether there was any way we should be using the wheel or the buttons that would make the scroll through faster. (On the official Android app, the initial letter of the Artists can be selected and so we get there fairly quickly.) I noticed that the Controller screen shows a scroll bar at the right-hand side, but the screen isn't touch sensitive, so I wasn't sure if that scroll bar could be used for scrolling, or not.

I also searched various earlier posts looking for a Controller user guide but most posts I found explained that its use was pretty much intuitive - which it is - so I just wondered whether, never having had a scroll wheel before, there is any trick to help scroll through so many entries?

Grateful for any advice, or any tips for new users,

regards, Atlantic

CloudAtlas
2016-07-29, 05:24
Lucky us. Finally managed to install our new Duets, and using the Controller for the first few times. Very handy and, of course, the sound from the Receivers is great.

We've been using another Receiver on its own, before this, controlling it from the web panel or from the official Android app and, though we can do the same for these new installs, the Controller is a little easier for some family members to use. We have a fairly large repository of music, very many short pieces, and so we have something over 3,000 artists. So far, we prefer to scroll through the 'Artists' to find the music but this takes us a while using the scroll wheel. None of us has used a scroll wheel previously, and I wondered whether there was any way we should be using the wheel or the buttons that would make the scroll through faster. (On the official Android app, the initial letter of the Artists can be selected and so we get there fairly quickly.) I noticed that the Controller screen shows a scroll bar at the right-hand side, but the screen isn't touch sensitive, so I wasn't sure if that scroll bar could be used for scrolling, or not.

I also searched various earlier posts looking for a Controller user guide but most posts I found explained that its use was pretty much intuitive - which it is - so I just wondered whether, never having had a scroll wheel before, there is any trick to help scroll through so many entries?

regards, Atlantic
If you scroll the wheel very fast, it accelerates through the list highlighting the letter of the alphabet you are currently passing through. Have play and you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Man in a van
2016-07-29, 05:25

regards, Atlantic

How about storing your "Artist" in alphabetical sub folders?

kidstypike
2016-07-29, 06:39
You can scroll anticlockwise too, for those artists beginning with Z, Y, X, W ... etc..

Atlantic
2016-07-30, 02:54
Thanks, very helpful. I'd seen (sometimes) the letters come up and wasn't sure why they only came up sometimes; we'll practice using the wheel faster, forward and backward.

The idea of re-arranging the library is quite a good one. I guess the idea is that the search would be:
- Select the music folders
- Select the folder A ... Z (whatever)
- Within that folder, select the artist
That's a neat idea.

Thanks ever so much for the advice,

Atlantic

RonM
2016-07-30, 05:57
I was a long time Controller stalwart, even after I had compatible smartphones (post-Blackberry devices). Then I tried the various Android apps, and have almost never used the Controllers since (I have two in active use and one in storage). Only time I use them is to check some functionality when a question arises in the forum, or if my phone has completely run out of juice.

So, if you have an Android or iDevice, check it out. They are much faster than the Controller, and some functionality is superior.

R.