PDA

View Full Version : Turn off all devices

RonM
2016-07-18, 18:25
You know what would be a useful LMS feature or app? Something that would turn off all Squeezeboxen at a fixed time.

I often get up in the morning to find I've left the Transporter and/or other devices on overnight, drawing power and using up their finite operating hours. Or that the Radio and Touch have exercised their tendency to turn themselves on. Be great if I could program something to turn off specified devices at a specified time. I'd have them all turn off at, say, 2am. If a popup could be created as a reminder of imminent power-down, appearing on control screens, that would be excellent. Undoubtedly possible only for smartphone apps, this latter, but I'd think the basic concept would be an easy LMS tweak.

R.

JJZolx
2016-07-18, 19:14
There's very little difference between on and off with these devices. The best you can do is blank the display.

Fizbin
2016-07-18, 20:12
Yeah, these units are technically always on, even when off. And that actually bothers me a bit because they always run warm. It would be nice (in an off state) if there was less power coursing through the components.

DJanGo
2016-07-18, 22:56
Yeah, these units are technically always on, even when off. And that actually bothers me a bit because they always run warm. It would be nice (in an off state) if there was less power coursing through the components.

There is NO way to solve this - other than buying an device like this (https://www.amazon.de/EnerGenie-EG-PM2-LAN-programmierbare-IP-Steckdosenleiste-LAN-Schnittstelle/dp/B00AACIHPS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1468907697&sr=8-18) - but even these devices need power all the time.

Mnyb
2016-07-19, 00:45
The radio has a "more off state" if you press the button it actually shuts down the OS and screen and idles in some kind of low power mode ?
Wonder how that works if it's like linux computer you issue a shutdown command and boot with the button ? The Power supply wil still run ofcourse .

Radio is then not accessible before you push the button and lit it boot .

Touch cant do this it can only rebbot , it semms to load the OS as soon as it sees power .

Yes they are not realy of its just a screen saver .

To make this happen in a new generation of players (the current ones just cant not the SB3 or Transporter or Boom ) . One needs to design some kind of WOL capacity that can boot them and also the even rarer WOL over wifi (which hardly exists ) and even then they would not be really off.
And the startup time would be quite long then not just a matter of seconds untill music is flowing

Apesbrain
2016-07-19, 06:44
PowerSave plugin will put each player into standby after a set time of inactivity. Or, using Netcat you can run a batch file at the recurring time of your choice:

@echo off

::adapt the following set statements
set netcat=C:\Progra~1\Netcat\nc.exe
set lmsip=127.0.0.1
set lmsport=9090

::send the commands via netcat using a timeout of 1 second
echo PL:AY:ER:IP power 0 | "%netcat%" -w1 -vv %lmsip% %lmsport%
timeout /t 1
timeout /t 1
timeout /t 1
timeout /t 1
timeout /t 1
timeout /t 1

Where "PL:AY:ER:IP" is the IP address for each of your players in succession. I didn't write this but found it somewhere I can't remember; it does work.

Using one of these plus "Screen off" screensaver will help a bit. Triode's "Display off" screensaver is also an option for Radio/Touch:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95084-Display-Off-screensaver

SlimChances
2016-07-19, 07:03
This is obviously not what you are looking for as it is a manual system. My players are connected via surge bars which I turn off at night. How many players do you have?

sternenjaeger
2016-07-19, 08:40
The radio has a "more off state" if you press the button it actually shuts down the OS and screen and idles in some kind of low power mode ?
Wonder how that works if it's like linux computer you issue a shutdown command and boot with the button ?

Years ago i wrote a small bash script for a bedside Radio to do exactly this (to reduce power consumption, wifi radiation and primarily to avoid angry screams from the other half of the bed in case this radio is accidentally selected as a player late in the evening...). The scripts asks the Squeezeserver every couple of minutes if this radio is present. If it is turned on and does not play anything for a couple of minutes, it connects to the radio via ssh and issues a "poweroff" command.
The radio is then completely turned off. Of course this is only useful if you never need it as an alarm clock.
The downside is that, after turning it on again with the power button, you need to wait the app. 20s until it has booted before you can use it.

For the older players (Receivers and Boom) i simply use switches. The receivers are powered with the same switch that controls the power to the equipment they are connected to. In many cases things like amplifiers etc. (especially if you have a vintage A/B amp) use much more standby power than the smallish 3W of the receiver anyway.

Dogberry2
2016-07-19, 10:54
I wouldn't worry about power consumption on one of these devices. In their quiescent state the draw is minuscule, and the difference between paused and "off" is a small fraction of minuscule. You'll save more power by making one less pot of coffee a month than by setting an SB to the off state every night. Do you unplug your TV and microwave and kitchen range every night? I guarantee they're each drawing more than the SB devices do.

Mnyb
2016-07-19, 14:01
Years ago i wrote a small bash script for a bedside Radio to do exactly this (to reduce power consumption, wifi radiation and primarily to avoid angry screams from the other half of the bed in case this radio is accidentally selected as a player late in the evening...). The scripts asks the Squeezeserver every couple of minutes if this radio is present. If it is turned on and does not play anything for a couple of minutes, it connects to the radio via ssh and issues a "poweroff" command.
The radio is then completely turned off. Of course this is only useful if you never need it as an alarm clock.
The downside is that, after turning it on again with the power button, you need to wait the app. 20s until it has booted before you can use it.

For the older players (Receivers and Boom) i simply use switches. The receivers are powered with the same switch that controls the power to the equipment they are connected to. In many cases things like amplifiers etc. (especially if you have a vintage A/B amp) use much more standby power than the smallish 3W of the receiver anyway.

Good thing alarm should work anyway , I think ? alarm can start the player from cold ,afiak from the battery use case ? But it will only remeber the next alarm like the boom , so if its power off it will power on 5 minutes before next alarm

drmatt
2016-09-09, 02:21
PowerSave plugin will put each player into standby after a set time of inactivity. Or, using Netcat you can run a batch file at the recurring time of your choice..
[...]
Using one of these plus "Screen off" screensaver will help a bit. Triode's "Display off" screensaver is also an option for Radio/Touch:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95084-Display-Off-screensaver
I also wrote a similar script that does an "all stop" function, and embedded it in a big red button on an intranet web page so I can hit it using my phone as I leave the building..

I'm ok with leaving the devices booted, however. I guess the only downside is PSU and regulator components lifetime, and certainly screen backlight lifetime if you don't select a totally off screen screensaver (I'm also guilty of using my SBTs as handy clocks!)..

Apesbrain
2016-09-09, 05:59
(I'm also guilty of using my SBTs as handy clocks!)
I use mine as weather stations.

reinholdk
2016-09-10, 13:17
I also wrote a similar script that does an "all stop" function, and embedded it in a big red button on an intranet web page so I can hit it using my phone as I leave the building..

This would also be a nice task for an Amazon Dash button that you could stick near your front door. These cheap buttons are currently 'misused' for all kinds of control tasks (look for amazon dash hack).

drmatt
2016-09-10, 14:03
This would also be a nice task for an Amazon Dash button that you could stick near your front door.

Great idea! But.. I have kids. It needs to be password protected.. :)