PDA

View Full Version : Music Downloads Could Disappear by 3020

norderney
2016-07-17, 16:17
Interesting article.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/music-downloads-could-be-no-more-2020?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews%20bulletins&utm_content=WHIF%20ENews%20Bulletin_noextras%20(13 .07.2016)::article_53_read_more&utm_source=20160713

Nielsen, an American global information and measurement company, has reported that download sales in the US have fallen by 42 per cent and with the rate they’re falling, could be a thing of the past by 2020.

Nielsen’s figures are for single-track download sales and confirm that purchases of songs have fallen 24 per cent, or 127.3 million, in the first half of 2016 (year-on-year).

Figures also show how much track downloads have plummeted since their peak in 2012. US download sales in the first half of 2016 were 404.3 million, compared to the 2012 peak of 698 million sales.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/music-downloads-could-be-no-more-2020#8tXU6qFhwvJQMPbF.99

d6jg
2016-07-17, 16:41
I suspect this is due to streaming services such as Spotify and not a resurgence in CD sales.

d6jg
2016-07-17, 16:41
If I am still alive in 3020 I doubt I will care anyway

Mnyb
2016-07-17, 22:33

If any of us are alive we be heavily augmented by nanotech and software :D I will have everything downloads already and can replay songs I heard .

( unless you opted for the free nanotech augmentation and had >1000 years of adds in your head and now want to kill you're self but you can't because your immortal and its agianst the contract .. )

Pascal Hibon
2016-07-17, 22:59
If any of us are alive we be heavily augmented by nanotech and software :D I will have everything downloads already and can replay songs I heard .

( unless you opted for the free nanotech augmentation and had >1000 years of adds in your head and now want to kill you're self but you can't because your immortal and its agianst the contract .. )

To much telly ? :D

All kiding aside, history has shown us that we need to be very careful with such "announcements". Some people told us that vinyl would be dead soon after the CD was born. Same goes for the cassette... If anything, CD's might be the thing of that future again :D

Mnyb
2016-07-18, 00:56
To much telly ? :D

All kiding aside, history has shown us that we need to be very careful with such "announcements". Some people told us that vinyl would be dead soon after the CD was born. Same goes for the cassette... If anything, CD's might be the thing of that future again :D

To much dystopian sci-fi .

CD has it drawbacks as you have to order the stuff and wait (just like any other physical media) .

The rub with all the dowloads you have is the naggin thing about a good backup scheme , never found a fit and forget type ogf solution to that , you old CD's are all there (until there is no CD drives anymore :/ )

And the streaming ,well your fav service could be gone tomorrow and so all your !"saved" palylist and albums , and you don't really get what you want either sanitised radio versions or not at all .
Some artist wont be on these services and there is always the the constant risk of censorship .

And the idea of having a really private music collection not accounted for by big data :)

Wombat
2016-07-18, 07:03
I more or less stopped buying album downloads. With older releases you never know what version you exactly get. The used CD market is gigantic here meanwhile and cheap. I own the media and not some strange merciful allowance to listen. I completely try to ignore everything sold online that is UMG related due to their watermark strategy.
The most recent albums come handy on streaming and if i really like it i buy it one day and maybe even the HiBitrate version of it.
Edit: From small labels i buy downloads directly even online or when bandcamp offers the CD only as limited expensive version. The cd and delivery takes long and is often expensive.

RonM
2016-07-18, 10:06
If *all* recorded music becomes available from streaming services at reasonable prices and at high bitrates (e.g. CD quality), there is no reason why one would need to buy downloaded material. I'm sure there will be ways of capturing the stream or grabbing it upstream at faster than play time, and who will object if you can stream it anytime anyway? And that's only if you want a digital copy, which may not be the case for very many.

This vision is predicated on a couple of things:

Pretty much everyone has access to high-enough speed internet
Everyone has access to data maximums that allow a great deal of streaming data
Ways of fairly compensating artists are found (not currently the case, and if no one is getting paid fairly they won't be performing)

I don't think these are intractable problems, although I don't qualify on the first bullet at this point even though I live just 10 miles outside of Toronto on a country road.

Ron

d6jg
2016-07-18, 11:00
I have had some further thoughts about this.

First. I still buy CDs for the same reasons as given and in the main secondhand.

Second. The current streaming services market is dominated by Spotify due I think to their longevity and perhaps pricing policy BUT I woul still like a CD quality alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg,

BUT the big problem IMHO with streaming services is choice. Not too little but too much of it. Having your own library is I feel the best start point for finding new music. Michael's Smart Mix is sorely missed in this regard. If I didn't have any library I really don't know quite how I would manage.

Arniceous
2016-12-29, 03:28
I have had some further thoughts about this.

First. I still buy CDs for the same reasons as given and in the main secondhand.

Second. The current streaming services market is dominated by Spotify due I think to their longevity and perhaps pricing policy BUT I woul still like a CD quality alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg,

BUT the big problem IMHO with streaming services is choice. Not too little but too much of it. Having your own library is I feel the best start point for finding new music. Michael's Smart Mix is sorely missed in this regard. If I didn't have any library I really don't know quite how I would manage.

no doubt Library is key and spotify cant even get close to my library lmao what a joke these streaming services are but hell I've been working on my library for 20 yrs now and my thoughts on CD & CD+G they aren't going anywhere however better materials used to make them improving length of lifespan on media would be fantastic.

bernt
2016-12-29, 04:04
I think it's the bad sound quality in pop\rock recordings. Why would I pay for a album that sounds so bad that I don't want to SIT down in front of a REAL stereo and LISTEN to it again. It's still ok to stream it to a small bluetooth speaker in the kitchen or whatever.

Arniceous
2016-12-29, 21:47
I think it's the bad sound quality in pop\rock recordings. Why would I pay for a album that sounds so bad that I don't want to SIT down in front of a REAL stereo and LISTEN to it again. It's still ok to stream it to a small bluetooth speaker in the kitchen or whatever.

Bernt your listening ear is better than mine I'm happy with CDA even mp3@320 acoustically speaking analog is always the preferred choice I am really happy to have my library on LMS :D

iPhone
2017-04-12, 22:24

I think that is part of it, but in my mind it is more the fact that today's Artists aren't really making music worth listening to so why bother downloading it! The reason music downloads are down is many fold, but I suspect it is for a few simple reasons. First, those of us that are older are buying vinyl and CDs plus think most of the "New" music isn't music, example Taylor Swift repeating the same word 5 times then repeating a different word 5 times with a chorus consisting of three words repeated 5 times isn't a song muchness music. Kids today don't dance the way we used to, it's mostly electronic or techno so there is no "That was our song" that needs downloaded. Our recorded journey was sound and music, today its Video, they don't have time for music with video and tweeter and Fakebook.

I worry about what my children are going to have for memories because of how when I hear certain music or a song which takes me back to a specific time and place memory. At least I have the 70's and 80's oldies stations to listen to on FM in a pinch. I just don't see there ever being Rap and Hip-Hop oldies stations/channels in 20 years.

Speaking of Oldies Radio, I was listening to Classic Rewind on XM back in January when the DJ said that "Today" in 1967 the debut album from The Doors was released FIFTY (50) years ago today. I heard myself actually say that's not possible because I can't be that old. Looking back on 1967 that was one hell of a year for Rock releases. The Doors "The Doors" of course, The Beatles released both "Sgt Pepper's" and "Magical Mystery Tour", The Youngbloods "The Youngbloods", Donovan with two releases, Ten Years After "Ten Years After", Rollings Stones had three releases with "Their Satanic Majestics Request" being a jab at "Sgt Pepper's", The Who "Happy Jack", Procol Harum "Procol Harum", Cream with their debut "Free Cream" followed by "Disraeli Gears", and of course Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced"! 1967 sure had its share of great debut albums!

emalvick
2017-09-11, 15:55
I think that is part of it, but in my mind it is more the fact that today's Artists aren't really making music worth listening to so why bother downloading it! The reason music downloads are down is many fold, but I suspect it is for a few simple reasons. First, those of us that are older are buying vinyl and CDs plus think most of the "New" music isn't music, example Taylor Swift repeating the same word 5 times then repeating a different word 5 times with a chorus consisting of three words repeated 5 times isn't a song muchness music. Kids today don't dance the way we used to, it's mostly electronic or techno so there is no "That was our song" that needs downloaded. Our recorded journey was sound and music, today its Video, they don't have time for music with video and tweeter and Fakebook.

I worry about what my children are going to have for memories because of how when I hear certain music or a song which takes me back to a specific time and place memory. At least I have the 70's and 80's oldies stations to listen to on FM in a pinch. I just don't see there ever being Rap and Hip-Hop oldies stations/channels in 20 years.

Speaking of Oldies Radio, I was listening to Classic Rewind on XM back in January when the DJ said that "Today" in 1967 the debut album from The Doors was released FIFTY (50) years ago today. I heard myself actually say that's not possible because I can't be that old. Looking back on 1967 that was one hell of a year for Rock releases. The Doors "The Doors" of course, The Beatles released both "Sgt Pepper's" and "Magical Mystery Tour", The Youngbloods "The Youngbloods", Donovan with two releases, Ten Years After "Ten Years After", Rollings Stones had three releases with "Their Satanic Majestics Request" being a jab at "Sgt Pepper's", The Who "Happy Jack", Procol Harum "Procol Harum", Cream with their debut "Free Cream" followed by "Disraeli Gears", and of course Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced"! 1967 sure had its share of great debut albums!

I know this is getting to be an old thread, but I agree with a lot it and especially this post.

I've got an 18-month old daughter. I just love how much she likes to dance to older music, some even older than me; 1986 and 87 were the 1967 of my generation, and I completely identify with the ability of music to take one back. And, I think 1967 was one of the best years ever for music, and so does my daughter. She really loves to dance to the Magical Mystery Tour (song).

castalla
2017-09-11, 16:20
By 3020 there's likely to f* all of anything left given the rate at which the world is trashing everything, environmentally, socially, politically and culturally ...

By 2020? - just even more musical dross accelerating the current trend.

iPhone
2017-09-11, 16:52
I also think part of it all is the new technology driving everything. Music was ruined by 96Kbps MP3s so it could fit on a small player being listened to over headphones or ear buds, that quality again could care less. So if the playback HAD no quality, who cared if the download had any quality, in my opinion, they just wanted to listen to the song in general, not for the enjoyment of realism. So wireless speakers, blue tooth speakers, and go anyway players streaming low quality music to low quality playback devices became the norm for many Generation X and Y'ers.

Lastly the streaming services don't have it figured out yet. Out of all the years Spotify has been up and running, there are 4.5 Million of the songs they have available that have NEVER even been played once! I will buy new and used CDs ripping them until I leave this world and pass my servers onto my Son, Daughter, and grandchildren. But that is just me.

castalla
2017-09-11, 16:58
I also think part of it all is the new technology driving everything. Music was ruined by 96Kbps MP3s so it could fit on a small player being listened to over headphones or ear buds, that quality again could care less. So if the playback HAD no quality, who cared if the download had any quality, in my opinion, they just wanted to listen to the song in general, not for the enjoyment of realism. So wireless speakers, blue tooth speakers, and go anyway players streaming low quality music to low quality playback devices became the norm for many Generation X and Y'ers.

Lastly the streaming services don't have it figured out yet. Out of all the years Spotify has been up and running, there are 4.5 Million of the songs they have available that have NEVER even been played once! I will buy new and used CDs ripping them until I leave this world and pass my servers onto my Son, Daughter, and grandchildren. But that is just me.

Wot? No gramophone included in your bequests ....???

JJZolx
2017-09-11, 17:36

I already don't care.

iPhone
2017-09-12, 05:18
Wot? No gramophone included in your bequests ....???
No, just the HiFi equipment in my signature line. My grandmother left me her Gramophone in her Will with the stipulation that I must be buried with it, so now I can't leave it to my children or grandchildren nor can I be cremated.