PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Transporter. Have a couple of questions...

Fizbin
2016-07-13, 05:02
Sometimes (not always) I'd like to have the display turned OFF during playback...except if a new track is being played, it would turn on for a few seconds and then go off again. Is there a plugin that can do this? I doubt it but I figure what the heck, I'll ask.

Over night I tend to turn my PC OFF (with LMS). I notice the Transporter, even when turned off says "can't connect to server" "ethernet appears disconnected". The message seems to go away after 30 seconds or so. I'm assuming once the message is gone that it will permanently stay off? (As long as the unit is off) Hopefully it's not a message that comes and goes.

d6jg
2016-07-13, 06:12
Sometimes (not always) I'd like to have the display turned OFF during playback...except if a new track is being played, it would turn on for a few seconds and then go off again. Is there a plugin that can do this? I doubt it but I figure what the heck, I'll ask.

Over night I tend to turn my PC OFF (with LMS). I notice the Transporter, even when turned off says "can't connect to server" "ethernet appears disconnected". The message seems to go away after 30 seconds or so. I'm assuming once the message is gone that it will permanently stay off? (As long as the unit is off) Hopefully it's not a message that comes and goes.

go to LMS, then Player (choose your Transporter) and then experiment with the Now Playing Screensaver options. You may find something that will do what you want e.g. Date & Time after a short delay.

d6jg
2016-07-13, 06:16
go to LMS, then Player (choose your Transporter) and then experiment with the Now Playing Screensaver options. You may find something that will do what you want e.g. Date & Time after a short delay.

There is also a BlankScreensaver plugin IIRC

garym
2016-07-13, 09:51

yes, the "can't connect" message will go away and stay off.

Fizbin
2016-07-13, 15:43
Ok, thanks! I will do some experimenting. And yes, that "can't connect" message does only appear once. It also appears once when I turn my PC is booting. Funny how these machines are never truly off when they are powered down. Interestingly, the Transporter runs cooler than the Touch.

garym
2016-07-13, 15:52
Ok, thanks! I will do some experimenting. And yes, that "can't connect" message does only appear once. It also appears once when I turn my PC is booting. Funny how these machines are never truly off when they are powered down. Interestingly, the Transporter runs cooler than the Touch.

I use the "blanksaver" plugin so that my transporter displays are OFF when I'm not playing something. When playing I use the "music information screen" plugin to manage showing what I want on the left display (it cycles through** album name and artist name as well as showing track name, time remaining, type of file (flac, mp3, m4a) and bitrate. My right display is always showing VU meters (except when off of course)

**you'll need the titleswitcher plugin for that.

epoch1970
2016-07-14, 08:51
You can also use "saverswitcher" to do that. It's pretty simple to use.

Fizbin
2016-07-15, 17:26
Very nitpicky observation and question... On BOTH displays on my new Transporter the first row of VFD's are very slightly darker than the rest. I can only notice this in lower brightness modes like Brightness 3 and 4. Not the brighter modes. Just curious if anyone else sees this on their Transporters? My guess is since both displays are affected, the ribbon card is not 100% seated correctly inside the unit.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal. It's more a curiosity.

Below is an "artist conception" done on photoshop...not from my actual unit. In this case it only affects the large letter "F".

Edit... Sorry, that should be ribbon CABLE not card.

callesoroe
2016-07-16, 10:15
Very nitpicky observation and question... On BOTH displays on my new Transporter the first row of VFD's are very slightly darker than the rest. I can only notice this in lower brightness modes like Brightness 3 and 4. Not the brighter modes. Just curious if anyone else sees this on their Transporters? My guess is since both displays are affected, the ribbon card is not 100% seated correctly inside the unit.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal. It's more a curiosity.

Below is an "artist conception" done on photoshop...not from my actual unit. In this case it only affects the large letter "F".

use the display button on the remote or use the "display" option in the player settings.

Fizbin
2016-07-16, 16:11
I don't think that's going to help a few darker "pixels" but thanks. One day when I feel adventurous, I may open the unit and give the ribbon cable a little wiggle.

norderney
2016-07-18, 02:23
Was it a secondhand Transporter you bought? They have been out of production for a very long time now. But I still love using my Transporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fizbin
2016-07-18, 03:11
No, it's not used. There is a vendor on ebay (hotdogtec) selling new old stock SE's and other Logtiech gear.

Fizbin
2016-07-24, 04:41
Can anyone tell me if the Transporter can process any rate from 24/96 down? Even obscure rates like 24/44? I know there was a time, many years ago, where it could only handle 16/44 and 24/96. Then later on 24/88 was added. As for 24/44 (I have a few needledrops with this) I can only assume that if it can do 16/44 then it can also do 24/44.

chipdiving
2016-07-25, 12:38
No, it's not used. There is a vendor on ebay (hotdogtec) selling new old stock SE's and other Logtiech gear.

Hello, I have wanted a transporter for going on 10 years, and have found the new in box ones on eBay countless times. They're American stock, and I am in Australia.

Does anyone know if they have variable voltage support, or were there two versions (120V and 240V), and what is the power cable itself like? Is it removable and replaceable, i assume the transformer is inside the unit and not a separate power brick?

Failing that, anyone know someone in Australia wanting to sell a Transporter ;)

garym
2016-07-25, 13:21
Hello, I have wanted a transporter for going on 10 years, and have found the new in box ones on eBay countless times. They're American stock, and I am in Australia.

Does anyone know if they have variable voltage support, or were there two versions (120V and 240V), and what is the power cable itself like? Is it removable and replaceable, i assume the transformer is inside the unit and not a separate power brick?

Failing that, anyone know someone in Australia wanting to sell a Transporter ;)

the power supply is built into the unit. I don't recall there ever bing a 120v vs 240v version, so I suspect it can work with either. The cord is a typical 3 recepticle cord that plugs into the transporter, so this could be replaced with almost any sort of cord.

Fizbin
2016-07-25, 15:42
There is a sticker on the back of the unit that says 120 to 240v. So all you need it the proper cord/adapter. It's possible the seller has adapters. You can always contact him.

garym
2016-07-25, 15:43
There is a sticker on the back of the unit that says 120 to 240v. So all you need it the proper cord/adapter. It's possible the seller has adapters. You can always contact him.

I don't even think you need an adapter. Just a cord with the correct endpoint to plug in to you your local country outlet.

Fizbin
2016-07-25, 16:05
Can anyone tell me if the Transporter can process any rate from 24/96 down? Even obscure rates like 24/44? I know there was a time, many years ago, where it could only handle 16/44 and 24/96. Then later on 24/88 was added. As for 24/44 (I have a few needledrops with this) I can only assume that if it can do 16/44 then it can also do 24/44.

To reply to my own post, the Transporter handles sample rates of: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz. (Maybe it can do other rates in between?) And of course bit rates of 16 and 24. So no reason it can't do 24/44.

Fizbin
2016-07-25, 16:07
I don't even think you need an adapter. Just a cord with the correct endpoint to plug in to you your local country outlet.

You can use an adapter if you already have one and don't want to get another cord. That being said, I replaced the cord on my Transporter with a beefier $3.00 14AWG cord from Monoprice. Does it sound better? NO! But what can I say, I don't like those skinny stock cords that come with most A/V gear...and I have no idea why. :)

chipdiving
2016-07-26, 03:43
You can use an adapter if you already have one and don't want to get another cord. That being said, I replaced the cord on my Transporter with a beefier $3.00 14AWG cord from Monoprice. Does it sound better? NO! But what can I say, I don't like those skinny stock cords that come with most A/V gear...and I have no idea why. :)

Thanks for the voltage confirmation ... i think it's finally time to do this... :)

SamS
2016-07-26, 14:05

Crazy how many this fellow has! Either he doesn't sell many, or bought 100+ (last stock?) from Logitech at some point.

Fizbin
2016-07-26, 15:39
I think he is affiliated with Logitech. Logitech can't directly sell these units because they used all their potential spare parts to make SE's, rather than stockpile them for warranty repair. Plus this guy lives very close to Logitech's California headquarters.

Fizbin
2016-08-01, 02:14
Tonight I noticed (and maybe it's always been there) on the far right of the right display (last row) that all or most of that rows pixels are always lit up. It' s very faint. They appear on any brightness level but go away when the display is off. Anything that displays on that row appears fine.

Just curious if anyone else has this. I notice two other threads discussing this...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?73136-New-Squeezebox-Classic-screen-problem

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?13467-Squeezebox-2-display-problem

Fizbin
2016-08-02, 15:56
In case anyone is wondering what the heck I'm talking about, here is a photo here:

Interestingly, this is not my Transporter. I found a photo of someone else's Transporter online and I could clearly see it. I blew up the photo and this is exactly what I see on mine.

garym
2016-08-03, 04:13
In case anyone is wondering what the heck I'm talking about, here is a photo here:

Interestingly, this is not my Transporter. I found a photo of someone else's Transporter online and I could clearly see it. I blew up the photo and this is exactly what I see on mine.

checked mine out lasts night. I see the same thing. Never noticed it the last 7 years. I have to look very, very close and had to have the lights off in the room (it was night time). It is not clearly visible under normal circumstances, looking at the display from 4 feet away.

p.s. I assume that these displays are the same as the SB3 and Boom displays. If so, they are certainly prone to losing pixels, dimming over time, etc. I have no interest in the displays being perfect. I only care about needing the display during setup, etc. I do no controlling of the transporter from the unit itself. I do control the boom at my bedside with its controls. For all these reasons, I use blanksaver plugin to have my display OFF when nothing is playing. I do this to extend the life of the displays.

Fizbin
2016-08-03, 04:30
Yeah, I just found another photo and can see the same thing when I zoom in. This is totally something that I would home in on. LOL! But I can see others never noticing it. Perhaps it's not the same on all units either. Anyway, yeah, it's not a big deal, especially knowing it's not exclusive to my unit.

Thanks for checking.