PDA

View Full Version : iPlayer won't stream on Duet (but works on Radio)

FLACforever
2016-07-05, 06:11
Had an ongoing problem for some time now when streaming BBC iPlayer.

My Radio ... works fine, all the time, every time.

My Duet ... will play around 10 seconds of radio and then cuts off. The display on the Web Control shows the time ticking over but no sound comes out.

My network ... shouldn't be the problem because music will stream flawlessly to Duet and Radio (and we use the same wifi router for streaming video but NOT when Duet is on).

My internet connection ... is only 2.5Mb because we live in the sticks ... but this works just fine for streaming to the Radio.

My setup is ...

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1464986354 @ Sat Jun 4 04:05:31 CUT 2016
Hostname: OfficePC
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.68
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Windows 10 - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 8664
Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
Audio::Scan: 0.95
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 4

KitchenRadio
Player Model: Squeezebox Radio
Player Type: baby
Firmware: 7.7.3-r16676
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.80
Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:26:73:a6
Wireless Signal Strength: 100%

Lounge
Player Model: Squeezebox Receiver
Player Type: receiver
Firmware: 77
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.73
Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:16:33:c5
Wireless Signal Strength: 36%

I have the same problem when I use a homeplug so it seems to be a streaming+duet problem.

Any ideas anyone?

bpa
2016-07-05, 07:39
This seems not to be a BBC Iplayer issue but a AAC transcoding one.
As a test - try to play the following stream - it is 32kbit AAC which means network connection will use very small bandwidth but for SBReceiver it will have to be transcoded into Flac which require about 750kbit/sec on local LAN.
http://www.somafm.com/illstreet32.pls

Does it play properly on both Receiver and Radio ?

The only difference between Receiver and Radio is that Receiver requires transcoding of AAC to Flac. So your problem is probably either not enough bandwidth on local LAN or not enough CPU to do transcoding (unlikely on a Windows system unless it is very old and a low powered CPU)

You can test this by disabling AAC-AAC (I.e. change from native to disabled) under WebUI Setting/Advanced/FileType. Then Radio will be treated same as Receiver.

FLACforever
2016-07-05, 08:38
Thanks for trying to help ... I thought you were on to something from your description but your file plays just fine...

bpa
2016-07-05, 08:41
Thanks for trying to help ... I thought you were on to something from your description but your file plays just fine...

How about disabling native AAC ?

Are the players synced when the problem happens ?

FLACforever
2016-07-05, 08:58
How about disabling native AAC ?

Are the players synced when the problem happens ?

I didn't try disabling native AAC because your file played and the players are not synced.

--------------

I am narrowing it down though ... I've just found out I'm NOT playing the same thing on the two devices!

BBC Radio 4 - "Preset" on the Radio is "AAC LC" (works fine) - "Favorite" on the Duet is "aac" (stops).
BBC Radio 2 - "Preset" on the Radio is "AAC LC" (works fine) - "Favorite" on the Duet IS ALSO "AAC LC" (and works fine).
So it seems I need to make sure I'm using "AAC LC" across the board...

bpa
2016-07-05, 09:44
I didn't try disabling native AAC because your file played and the players are not synced.

--------------

I am narrowing it down though ... I've just found out I'm NOT playing the same thing on the two devices!

BBC Radio 4 - "Preset" on the Radio is "AAC LC" (works fine) - "Favorite" on the Duet is "aac" (stops).
BBC Radio 2 - "Preset" on the Radio is "AAC LC" (works fine) - "Favorite" on the Duet IS ALSO "AAC LC" (and works fine).
So it seems I need to make sure I'm using "AAC LC" across the board...

What are the URLs you are playing i.e. what are the settings on the presets/Favorites or use the More menu to show the playing URL?
What version of BBCiPlayer are yopu playing.

FLACforever
2016-07-05, 09:57
What are the URLs you are playing i.e. what are the settings on the presets/Favorites or use the More menu to show the playing URL?
What version of BBCiPlayer are yopu playing.

All fixed. Many thanks. My Favorites were out of date. I have redone them all and they all work fine.

I didn't save the old ones but they were very different URLs.

I will delete this thread when you have seen this response - as the problem was NOT the one I described. Unless you think it will help others?

bpa
2016-07-05, 11:27
Leave the thread because the explanation you gave abouu "out of date" doesn't really make sense. Out of date URLs won't play at all and if the URLs were from an older verison of the plugin you'd get other errors - however without the URLs to test I cannot determine what the real problem was.

FLACforever
2016-07-05, 17:20
Leave the thread because the explanation you gave abouu "out of date" doesn't really make sense. Out of date URLs won't play at all and if the URLs were from an older verison of the plugin you'd get other errors - however without the URLs to test I cannot determine what the real problem was.

Okay, I will keep this thread because my "out of date" explanation is the best there is, so far.

The "bad" URLs played - then stalled - I got no other errors (ever).

I have worked in IT for most of my life. I cut-and-pasted the URLs into Notepad which is how I solved the problem.

But I didn't keep the "bad" URLs. Which was a big mistake. For fundamental "root cause" analysis. My bad.

Thanks again for your help.