PDA

View Full Version : I wish to change my 'server pc' to a new one and need assistance....

jeff52807
2016-06-20, 09:25
I currently am running Microsoft Vista and want to get a new PC with Windows 8 or 10 and am concerned that I will foul things up if in the process.

Is anyone willing to assist me? I am willing to compensate you for your time.

I live in Davenport, Iowa. Is there anyone local? Please PM me if you can help or have advice.

I set up the system myself initially 7 years ago and have added to it, including lots of my own music. I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Apesbrain
2016-06-20, 09:59
Is your concern only about getting LMS running again or will the machine be used for other purposes?

jeff52807
2016-06-20, 10:32
Is your concern only about getting LMS running again or will the machine be used for other purposes?

I plan to use it almost exclusively for my Squeezebox system. It will not be my main PC.

reinholdk
2016-06-20, 13:16
You can keep your old pc running until the new one is set up to your liking and running fine. So the risk to screw things up is low, I'd say.

If you've got the new pc running, you can start by copying just a few folders of your existing library to it and see how it goes.
If you install SqueezePlay to the new pc, you can even try it without switching any existing player to your new LMS server, so that you don't disturb your existing setup before you're confident that the new will work.

How big is your music library and is it stored on internal disk or external usb or network?

carrera
2016-06-20, 13:18
In that case i would highly recomend a NAS.

I was in the same situation some years ago, and switched to a Synology NAS. I'm absolutely happy with the solution and a NAS has additional features

jeff52807
2016-06-20, 15:16
You can keep your old pc running until the new one is set up to your liking and running fine. So the risk to screw things up is low, I'd say.

If you've got the new pc running, you can start by copying just a few folders of your existing library to it and see how it goes.
If you install SqueezePlay to the new pc, you can even try it without switching any existing player to your new LMS server, so that you don't disturb your existing setup before you're confident that the new will work.

How big is your music library and is it stored on internal disk or external usb or network?

Music Library 150 gb on PC internal disk with external backup.

jeff52807
2016-06-20, 15:18
In that case i would highly recomend a NAS.

I was in the same situation some years ago, and switched to a Synology NAS. I'm absolutely happy with the solution and a NAS has additional features

That sounds like the way to go as I really don't need another PC.

alverus
2016-06-20, 22:11
whatch out which cpu-architecture is used in the model you like to use. I have a DS213+ which has some typ of MIPS-cpu. In the first place, this seemed no problem with the lms, but some of the plug-ins may not be available for this type of cpu.

The latest generation, the 216+ (I would always choose the +-version due bigger RAM) is an Intel Celeron N3050 64-Bit-cpu, which is nice. Seems a good choice.

Another option is to build a own device based an a RaspberryPi-like singleboard computer.

Alverus

JJZolx
2016-06-20, 22:25
What's the reason you want to replace the old server? If I were to run a desktop version of Windows on a new server, I'd go with Windows 7 Professional, as licenses are still available. If you're just looking to upgrade the OS, maybe that's all you'd need to do - install a new OS.

jeff52807
2016-06-21, 10:58
What's the reason you want to replace the old server? If I were to run a desktop version of Windows on a new server, I'd go with Windows 7 Professional, as licenses are still available. If you're just looking to upgrade the OS, maybe that's all you'd need to do - install a new OS.

The PC I'm using is 7 or 8 years old and is running Windows Vista. Original hard drive. I fear it's nearing the end of its life and Vista is nearing obsolescence.

doctor_big
2016-06-22, 02:35
Why not buy a NAS anyway and repurpose the old pc as a vortexbox?

toby10
2016-06-22, 03:20
Buy a used laptop (or use your current PC) to be used as solely an LMS host. Vista/WinXP obsolescence is irrelevant if only being used to host LMS.
Obviously you will want a good backup for your music. :)

adamdea
2016-07-04, 01:17
I had an old vista pc which was running really badly. I put debian on it and it now runs fine as an lms server and rdp client for the main pc.

cathcam
2016-07-04, 09:10
I'd also support moving to a NAS, you can set it up separately copying your music over cleaning up tags and duplicates and then making the switch.

I'd also recommend getting a NAS with at least 2 drives. I have a netgear readynas nvx and put 4x 2tb drives in it. After 4 years one of the drives started failing, I replaced and the NAS rebuilt with missing a beat.

d6jg
2016-07-04, 15:23
I would recommend a NAS (2 drive in Raid 1) for storage and a Raspberry Pi3 (wired) for LMS.
Run piCorePlayer or max2play on the Pi and point LMS at the NAS

vanye
2016-07-07, 14:24
I would recommend Daphile. You can easily use your old PC for that. However, I personally do not like the noise of fans in my network player, so you can also buy a small barebone for the purpose.

One of the great features of Daphile is that you can boot it from a USB stick. So you can try it out without having to install anything.

Another alternative would be a Rasperry Pi with PiCorePlayer.

pkfox
2016-07-09, 03:10
I currently am running Microsoft Vista and want to get a new PC with Windows 8 or 10 and am concerned that I will foul things up if in the process.

Is anyone willing to assist me? I am willing to compensate you for your time.

I live in Davenport, Iowa. Is there anyone local? Please PM me if you can help or have advice.

I set up the system myself initially 7 years ago and have added to it, including lots of my own music. I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Why not get a Raspberry pi and use an external drive for your library ? I've had mine setup for a couple of years now and it has been very stable not to mention cheap.