PDA

View Full Version : BT Home Hub 5 - LMS 7.9 - not working - buffering - intermittent

wimsnijders@onetel.com
2016-05-24, 15:01
Hi,
New to the forum but an avid Duet user.
Installed LMS 7.9 on both PC and WD MYBook.
All working well with old router.
Upgraded router to BT HUB 5 and now cannot play music.
Sound is pretty random, two minutes on few minutes off. Sometimes remote shows rebuffering.
Webcontrol sometimes starts the song and after few seconds back to the beginning.
Anyone any ideas or similar issues.
Thanks

Swiftie
2016-05-24, 21:15
In the Server Settings (which I find at http://127.0.0.1:9000/settings/index.html), the "Player" tab has useful information on the Player and Controller network performance.
I get stuff like this:

Player Model: Squeezebox Receiver
Firmware: 77
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Player MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Wireless Signal Strength: 100%

What do you get?

d6jg
2016-05-25, 06:08
Hi,
Sound is pretty random, two minutes on few minutes off. Sometimes remote shows rebuffering.
Webcontrol sometimes starts the song and after few seconds back to the beginning.
Thanks

Is this when connected wirelessly ? Have you tried a wired connection for testing purposes ?

Jeff07971
2016-05-25, 06:41
Is this when connected wirelessly ? Have you tried a wired connection for testing purposes ?

As d6jg says this is a good place to start, every consumer grade wireless I've ever come across has been a piece of crap.
And when BT says "our best wireless connection ever" the "OUR" doesn't change my opinion very much, If they give it away its cheap, if its cheap its likely not any good !

What Squeezebox are you using ? Some have built in network tests so you can stress test.

Man in a van
2016-05-25, 12:01
Hi,
Thanks

You only really need one LMS, if using the one on the MyBook make sure the PC one is not running.

d6jg
2016-05-25, 12:16
You only really need one LMS, if using the one on the MyBook make sure the PC one is not running.

Why? I often have 3 or more running and always have 2.

You do have to be careful admittedly but it is perfectly possible to run more than one instance without issue.

Man in a van
2016-05-25, 12:55
Why? I often have 3 or more running and always have 2.

You do have to be careful admittedly but it is perfectly possible to run more than one instance without issue.

I did not suggest that it isn't.

I sometimes run more than one myself.

The suggestion was offered to the OP in the spirit of "less is more" when trying to resolve a problem.

d6jg
2016-05-25, 13:07
I did not suggest that it isn't.

I sometimes run more than one myself.

The suggestion was offered to the OP in the spirit of "less is more" when trying to resolve a problem.

I do agree with that but I think this is a networking issue. Probably a wireless issue caused by the Home Hub being a stupid piece of junk as Jeff suggests but we shouldn't pre judge.

Certainly I would start off with one LMS and a fully wired environment and work from there.

wimsnijders@onetel.com
2016-05-25, 13:32
In the Server Settings (which I find at http://127.0.0.1:9000/settings/index.html), the "Player" tab has useful information on the Player and Controller network performance.
I get stuff like this:

Player IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Wireless Signal Strength: 100%

What do you get?

I get this:

Player IP Address: 192.168.1.131

Wireless Signal Strength: 41%

d6jg
2016-05-25, 13:50
I get this:

Player IP Address: 192.168.1.131

Wireless Signal Strength: 41%

Almost certainly wireless interference of some sort unless your Receiver is a long way from the Router. The BT Home Hubs really are very poor.

Whatever is running LMS really should be wired directly to the router in any event.

kidstypike
2016-05-25, 14:13
The BT Home Hubs really are very poor.

That's a bit harsh...

I use a BT Home Hub5, have 4 instances of LMS (not all running at the same time), 7 players always on and connected, a PC, 2 laptops, (mine and wifes) 2 phones (mine and wifes) a tablet, a printer, various home plugs, and a wifi extender in the garage/workshop. The BT Home Hub5 handles all this without the slightest problem.

wimsnijders@onetel.com
2016-05-25, 14:17
Almost certainly wireless interference of some sort unless your Receiver is a long way from the Router. The BT Home Hubs really are very poor.

Whatever is running LMS really should be wired directly to the router in any event.

Thanks. I refreshed the smart wireless on the router and it seems to work. Hopefully I don't need to do that every time.

d6jg
2016-05-25, 14:21
That's a bit harsh...

I use a BT Home Hub5, have 4 instances of LMS (not all running at the same time), 7 players always on and connected, a PC, 2 laptops, (mine and wifes) 2 phones (mine and wifes) a tablet, a printer, various home plugs, and a wifi extender in the garage/workshop. The BT Home Hub5 handles all this without the slightest problem.

You have been lucky. My son had one that played havoc with anything wireless and constantly needed resetting. Wired was ok but the wireless became unusable. He had done all the usual stuff like stopping auto channel selection and checking the channels operated by his neighbours. In the end he switched off the wireless on the Hub and used an old Netgear router as a downstream Access Point. That completely solved the problems.

Mnyb
2016-05-25, 20:54
FYI there are old treads about other variants of the by home hub ?
I've never used one naturally as BT is not an ISP where I live.

I've learned over the years to bring my own router and not rely on what's given by an ISP ...

41% is not good , but it's not the whole story ,but it not good .

"Smart wireless " what's that ?

IMHO any fancy non standard stuff can by a problem ,like automatic channel shifting etc , use g and n wifi and wpa2 .

I've put my iPad and phones etc at the 5Ghz band and my wifi squeezeboxes at the 2,4gHz wifi .