PDA

View Full Version : Support Going forward.

scoob101
2016-05-23, 04:31
I recently abandoned a doomed experiment with sonos and have come home to Squeezebox (far superior for me :D ) - so much so, that I`ve now added a transporter to my collection.

Im interested (and amazed) and the current level of support the community enjoys. Its abundantly clear that this product is alive and kicking!

Which leads me to my question::

Presumably Logitech is spending money on certain services to keep thinks like spotify and tunein radio functions alive.

Presumably one day Logitech may (quite understandably) stop spending that money, and we would lose these internet services as a consequence, and we are then forced to run standalone LMS servers without any supporting services.

Is there any indication at all when this may happen? When it does, will direct internet radio playback still work?

garym
2016-05-23, 04:39
Is there any indication at all when this may happen? When it does, will direct internet radio playback still work?

no one knows the timing. when it does, direct internet radio playback will still work. Even some services. For example, with ickstream one can get spotify, tidal.

buffettck
2016-05-24, 07:03
Anyone get iHeart radio stations to work on the Squeezebox Radio?

garym
2016-05-24, 07:04
Anyone get iHeart radio stations to work on the Squeezebox Radio?

you're more likely to get responses to this question if you find another thread about iHeart radio stations or start a new thread with that as a subject line.

buffettck
2016-05-24, 07:08
you're more likely to get responses to this question if you find another thread about iHeart radio stations or start a new thread with that as a subject line.

I did start a new thread in the SBR section.

scoob101
2016-05-26, 04:53
no one knows the timing. when it does, direct internet radio playback will still work. Even some services. For example, with ickstream one can get spotify, tidal.

I have to say that it mystifies me that Logitech would continue to put budget into maintaining Mysqueezebox.com when they get no revenue for it.

amey01
2016-06-02, 20:25
I have to say that it mystifies me that Logitech would continue to put budget into maintaining Mysqueezebox.com when they get no revenue for it.

It mystifies you? Really? That they would sell (and take money from, and make profit from) a product dependent on this service, then stop the service?

That would be unethical and unscrupulous.

There is no way that you could support the ethical abhorrence in this scenario, and in most jurisdictions this would also be illegal.

bpa
2016-06-03, 00:41
In 2001 Turtle beach produced a simple streamer called the Audiotron and it required an Turtle Beach website to run and give radio station direcotry.
In 2004 Turtle Beach stopped production.
In 2007 Turtle Beach shut down the website. They did provide a last firmware update workaround so that an alternative 3rd party website could be used.

scoob101
2016-06-03, 01:39
It mystifies you? Really? That they would sell (and take money from, and make profit from) a product dependent on this service, then stop the service?

That would be unethical and unscrupulous.

There is no way that you could support the ethical abhorrence in this scenario, and in most jurisdictions this would also be illegal.

Pragmatism will do you much better than Ranting :cool:

We are where we are. LMS isn't going anywhere. Mysqueezebox.com is going to die - its simply a matter of timing. Better to admit that, understand what services will be affected, and plan for it.

toby10
2016-06-03, 03:07
.... and in most jurisdictions this would also be illegal.

Nothing illegal about it. All SB players are long past their warranty/support period. The TOS we all agreed to on MySB.com says any services can end at any time for any reason and without notice. I'm equally shocked as I am happy they kept MySB.com running this long. :)

Paul Webster
2016-06-03, 03:56
In 2001 Turtle beach produced a simple streamer called the Audiotron and it required an Turtle Beach website to run and give radio station direcotry.
In 2004 Turtle Beach stopped production.
In 2007 Turtle Beach shut down the website. They did provide a last firmware update workaround so that an alternative 3rd party website could be used.

and in 2010 I persuaded them to repoint their DNS to a replacement server that emulated their Internet radio station directory ... and it is still running now.