PDA

View Full Version : In car solution - Chromecast Audio

Giza2020
2016-05-09, 04:57
Hi all

Just one for anyone interested.

There are posts on here advising that the CCA is available for 15 and I thought I'd share an in car solution I got working.

I put my phone in hotspot mode
I set up my CCA linking it to the phone hot spot
I put the CCA in my car and connect to aux
I re connected to phone

I now have a digital in car music system

Only useful if you have an old analogue FM radio and no bluetooth connections (like me)

But for 15 this means I can listen to BBC6 music and Five Live in HD quality..... and all other digital radio and streaming services and my local music via Google Music (free)

ModelCitizen
2016-05-09, 05:25
I put my phone in hotspot mode
I set up my CCA linking it to the phone hot spot
I put the CCA in my car and connect to aux
I re connected to phone

I just know this is a stupid question but why don't you connect the phone's headphone out to the aux in on the head unit?

Giza2020
2016-05-09, 05:38
Not a stupid question... the aux jack is in a box between the driver and passenger seat
My phone is normally in a holder on the screen
the Aux cable would be very long and hang over gear stick etc to reach from the box to the phone on the screen.

So, having the CCA in the box, connected and the box closed (the USB is in there too) ... it means my phone is connected wirelessly and also wife, passengers etc can all operate the music with their devices.

Also, I use Waze on my phone to navigate and I'm not sure if that sound would play over the speakers if it was plugged in.. also notification noises etc - would they come through??.... I think this is also an issue with bluetooth... actually that's another reason.. I have an old parrot bluetooth handsfree kit in the car (won't play music) so having this solution as a wifi solution means phone calls are not effected.. basically it's nice to have the phone seperate from the music and just being a phone (and sat nav).

I did have an old ipod touch which I thought about putting in the box instead but 15 bit of kit without a screen to scratch etc was my preferred method.