PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeBox Android Remote App disconnects from MySqueezeBox.Com SqueezeBox Touch ...

nyceyes
2016-04-25, 15:22
Hello Friends:

I'm very familiar with SqueezeBox (Duet and Touch) having used them for years. After selling all of my SqueezeBox equipment (players and remotes), I recently decided to re-buy SB Touch. :)

I, of course, called Logitech Tech Support to have the purchased device transferred to my personal MySqueezeBox.Com account. I gave them the email address associated with my account, and the MAC address of the player.

I then set the player up and it works nicely. No pauses or gaps.

THE PROBLEM:
I have two Android SqueezeBox remote apps which I have authenticated to my mySqueezeBox.Com account (username & password). The problem is that they connect for about 20 seconds, and then disconnect with a message indicating that there is no (Player) device connected to my SqueezeBox account; and yet there is!.... The SqueezeBox Touch player never stops playing and never disconnects.

I never had problems with Andriod-based remotes in the past.

So, is it possible that something associated with the MAC address wasn't cleared out? Something residual, lingering with either the MAC or with my account?

Thank you!

nyceyes
2016-04-25, 15:55
Hello Friends:

I'm very familiar with SqueezeBox (Duet and Touch) having used them for years. After selling all of my SqueezeBox equipment (players and remotes), I recently decided to re-buy SB Touch. :)

I, of course, called Logitech Tech Support to have the purchased device transferred to my personal MySqueezeBox.Com account. I gave them the email address associated with my account, and the MAC address of the player.

I then set the player up and it works nicely. No pauses or gaps.

THE PROBLEM:
I have two Android SqueezeBox remote apps which I have authenticated to my mySqueezeBox.Com account (username & password). The problem is that they connect for about 20 seconds, and then disconnect with a message indicating that there is no (Player) device connected to my SqueezeBox account; and yet there is!.... The SqueezeBox Touch player never stops playing and never disconnects.

I never had problems with Andriod-based remotes in the past.

So, is it possible that something associated with the MAC address wasn't cleared out? Something residual, lingering with either the MAC or with my account?

Thank you!

P.S. I also notice that the app-remotes -- while connected (before it disconnects) -- never show up in the PLAYER section of my MySqueezeBox.Com account. I forget whether remotes devices are listed there once registered, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

I think something is happening where the app remotes are disconnecting from my account for some odd reason. I have to keep killing those app remotes and re-entering my username and password. And, again, this is happening with two completely different app remotes. It never happened before (they were 100% reliable), so it may be related to the new device on my account. Maybe something wasn't reset properly by tech support.

pippin
2016-04-25, 15:59
Which App? Logitech's?
And no, controllers are not shown in the account

nyceyes
2016-04-25, 16:23
Which App? Logitech's?
And no, controllers are not shown in the account

Hello:

Okay,... roger that on controllers not being listed in the mySqueezeBox account (thank you for the reminder).

The apps:
(1) Orange Squeeze (the purchased version).
(2) Squeeze Commander

In the past, when I wasn't using my Duet (tactile) remote to control my SqueezeBox Touch, I reliably used either of these apps before.

P.S. My personal wired/wireless network is solid. I have everything locked down; DHCP assigned; etc. I document everything. =:).

Thanks in advance for you help.

pippin
2016-04-25, 16:24
Have you tried to restart the router?

nyceyes
2016-04-25, 16:33
Have you tried to restart the router?

Yes, I did (waiting 30 seconds). And hard rebooting the SB Touch, too (pull the cord).

I should highlight that I didn't add the SB Touch to my account myself. They did. I was happy to have them simply clear the MAC from it's previous
owner and then I'd perform a factory reset and enter my credentials. But it didn't happen that way. They actually inserted the device into my account
(which was already ethernet wired to the network, before I called them).

I mention this because perhaps when they manually added it they forgot to reset something. Just mentioning this scenario.

Maybe the MAC wasn't completely purged from other of their databases.

nyceyes
2016-04-25, 21:13
Yes, I did (waiting 30 seconds). And hard rebooting the SB Touch, too (pull the cord).

I should highlight that I didn't add the SB Touch to my account myself. They did. I was happy to have them simply clear the MAC from it's previous
owner and then I'd perform a factory reset and enter my credentials. But it didn't happen that way. They actually inserted the device into my account
(which was already ethernet wired to the network, before I called them).

I mention this because perhaps when they manually added it they forgot to reset something. Just mentioning this scenario.

Maybe the MAC wasn't completely purged from other of their databases.

@pippin ... I figured out what the issue was. The thought occurred to me to try the same APPS on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 Tablet,
and neither APP experienced the issue. So the issue appears to be only on my Nexus-6 (with Marshmallow; possibly other
devices, too). So I'll investigate that with the Applications developers.

The good news is that this has an answer, and that there is no weirdness with the SqueezeBox account.

Thank you for your help @pippin! :)

quadronado
2016-04-25, 21:40
THE PROBLEM:

I've always had this problem with my radio & touch and orange squeeze & squeeze commander. I always thought that this was an issue of the apps. And unfortunately none of these app is further developed. But when you haven't had this problem before, there might by an other issue.

Edit: Ups, didn't see your last post. So there's no solution for Nexus-User.

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 05:53
I've always had this problem with my radio & touch and orange squeeze & squeeze commander. I always thought that this was an issue of the apps. And unfortunately none of these app is further developed. But when you haven't had this problem before, there might by an other issue.

Edit: Ups, didn't see your last post. So there's no solution for Nexus-User.

@quadronado thanks for the feedback and telling me your experience with both apps. Actually, I spoke to soon. :( The problem does happen on the Tablet, too! It just took a little longer to occur. To be honest, maybe in the past I didn't just use either app long enough to notice the issue because I always had physical remotes from Logitech to use.

In your case @quadronado, how long did the apps stay connected before disconnecting? (Roughly).

quadronado
2016-04-26, 06:17
I haven't tried for some time but I think it looses the connection as soon as I turn on the screensaver or as soon as I use another app. The connection will mostly be lost when I return to OrangeSqueeze or Squeeze Commander. It takes not more than a few minutes or less.

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 06:30
I haven't tried for some time but I think it looses the connection as soon as I turn on the screensaver or as soon as I use another app. The connection will mostly be lost when I return to OrangeSqueeze or Squeeze Commander. It takes not more than a few minutes or less.

Thank you. What a bummer. I just purchased a used TOUCH that didn't come with a remote, so my only ability to remotely control the unit is through the Apps; which I always thought just worked, but now that I'm using them heavily appear not to work reliably. :(

I should never have sold my DUET remotes and SB TOUCH's. I probably now need to find a DUET remote.

pippin
2016-04-26, 06:56
Or an iThingy :)

pippin
2016-04-26, 06:57
That said: while I don't use Android too often I've never seen such issues. But then I usually use LMS for my testing of Android so it might be different with MySB although I really don't understand what should cause these issues

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 07:01
Or an iThingy :)

:D Haha! I'd use a wired remote running across the living room floor before buying an iThingy. LOL But thank you! :)

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 07:08
That said: while I don't use Android too often I've never seen such issues. But then I usually use LMS for my testing of Android so it might be different with MySB although I really don't understand what should cause these issues

I agree! It almost seems like a MAC address conflict, but on the server side. Like when they moved the device to my account, perhaps the MAC is still lingering somewhere else. Annd when the client (app) connects, although it's via IP, an ARP must happen at the other end to find the physical device. And if there were a conflict (a double entry of the MAC somewhere), then I could see how this scenario could happen. But you're right. It seems so simple ... I can't understand it either, other than faulty reprovisioning.

I've been trying to get Logitech (yesterday) to check the log files for connects / disconnects of my clients. But it's not easy. They will get back to me today, hopefully.

pippin
2016-04-26, 07:14
There's no ARP involved, the App tells MySB about the MAC of the controller in the header. That said I'm not even 100% it's only the MAC and not also a UUID (would have to look that up).
If three Apps are involved I'd also say it's unlikely that an App issue is involved, looks rather like a problem with Android to me since I've never heard about such issues on iOS.

Either Android somehow inhibits the use of permanent http streams (but I don't even know whether all three Apps use these) or it changes some other properties in the background without the Apps being prepared for that. Maybe the Apps use the device MAC and the OS changes that dynamically?

quadronado
2016-04-26, 07:37
If three Apps are involved...
Three apps? OrangeSqueeze and Squeeze Commander. Which one is the third?

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 07:42
There's no ARP involved, the App tells MySB about the MAC of the controller in the header. That said I'm not even 100% it's only the MAC and not also a UUID (would have to look that up).
If three Apps are involved I'd also say it's unlikely that an App issue is involved, looks rather like a problem with Android to me since I've never heard about such issues on iOS.

Either Android somehow inhibits the use of permanent http streams (but I don't even know whether all three Apps use these) or it changes some other properties in the background without the Apps being prepared for that. Maybe the Apps use the device MAC and the OS changes that dynamically?

Ah, okay. Good information. Actually, I meant ARPs against the player (TOUCH) on their end. If the player's MAC were to be associated with two accounts (again due to, say, a re-provisioning bug ... or maybe admin/polit error who moved it), then the device could cluctuate between accounts (as ARP requests were made), giving rise to the sudden "No player found on mySqueezeBox.Com" in my account. The drawback to my ARP hypothesis is that the TOUCH itself never disconnects (no pauses or gaps in the music).

Regarding your thoughts about Andriod doing something fishy -- and btw, a reviewer on the Google Play App Store complained about the same APP issue starting with Andriod Marshmallow O/S -- I guess I could sniff the traffic (tcpdump), but would have to find time to do that. Btw, the phone runs Android Marshmallow and the tablet runs Android Lollipop, but both have the issue (although the tablet takes longer to fail). Maybe an easier route to test the Andriod-being-the-problem possibility, is to boot my PC into Windows 10 (I run Fedora Linux) and try this App (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/squeeze-remote/9wzdncrdmktn). (Bad reviews and it's not free). :(

Not that I'm expecting you to do anything with all of this information @pippin. We're just trading notes (which I appreciate). :D

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 07:49
Three apps? OrangeSqueeze and Squeeze Commander. Which one is the third?

Hi @quadronado
There was no third app, yet. Although now that you mentioned it, I did quickly try this Squeeze Ctrl App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.angrygoat.android.squeezectrl&hl=en) for $6.00, but when it appeared to have the same issue (I couldn't
tell for sure), I quickly got a refund.

Since that app seems to be still maintained, I'm going to write the developer about what I quickly noticed and see if he is willing to
engage. If you're up for spending $6.00, it doesn't look too bad. Maybe it will work for you.

nyceyes
2016-04-26, 18:35
Hi @quadronado
There was no third app, yet. Although now that you mentioned it, I did quickly try this Squeeze Ctrl App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.angrygoat.android.squeezectrl&hl=en) for $6.00, but when it appeared to have the same issue (I couldn't
tell for sure), I quickly got a refund.

Since that app seems to be still maintained, I'm going to write the developer about what I quickly noticed and see if he is willing to
engage. If you're up for spending $6.00, it doesn't look too bad. Maybe it will work for you.

Hi again @quadronado @Pippin ..

So it turns out that Squeeze Ctrl app works: It reliably connects and stay connected reliably, too.

Last night when I tried it, I did so too fast b/c I was trying to avoid paying $6.00 for a third app that might not work (I already paid for
Orange Squeeze). But tonight I decided to try it again (even if saddled with the fee). And boy I'm am I glad. Not only does it stay connected,
but has every feature you need to completely control the Player, as well as every possible setting to configure it (as if you were standing in front
of the player and doing it natively). It also has a ton of other features (that you have to get used to).

I've been corresponding with the developer today, and he's pretty cool. So @quadronado if you're still looking for an app that connects
and works, you might want to try Squeeze Ctrl.

quadronado
2016-04-26, 22:23
Thanks for the hint. Seems like android user have to buy a new app every two years.