PDA

View Full Version : About to throw my duets out the window. Are there suggestions for something similar?

eellerto
2016-04-24, 14:03
I am SOOOO tired of my duets. When they work, they are the best thing ever, but then they just stop. I spend hours tinkering with every possible thing from updating all packages on my Synology NAS, rebooting it, rebooting the duets, updating/removing/adding back in third party plug-ins....it's always something different and without fail decides to stop working before a party or on a "relaxing" Sunday when I want to kick back and relax. I just spent the last two hours doing this, finally got one duet to work, but for how long?

I quit.

Funny thing is the squeezebox radio always works. If there is something wrong with my NAS connection, I can just connect to mysqueezebox.com and it works, even spotify (on the duet I get "can not play type of file" through the spotify app. But, of course, the sound quality is crap on the radio.

I really need to rant, so thanks for listening. So, now, is there anything else out there that can use spotify and similar apps, get to my music on my NAS and, most importantly, use my own hifi system!

Any advice would be great. I want to throw it all out the window at this point.

drmatt
2016-04-24, 14:33
Go wired, set static IPs for the SB devices on your router, and never, ever, patch anything, ever... ;)

philippe_44
2016-04-24, 20:02
The 2 Antenna inside the duet are misplaced and cause pour sensitivity. I've done that on 3 duet that were exactly like that, causing a ton of random problems and were driving me nuts. Open the duets, carefully remove the antenna that sits on the wifi card conector (!) using a thin blade or something similar as it is glued with double face tape, re glue it on the frame of box. You can do that as well with the other antenna, but it might be less of an issue (but at that point, once you have opened the box, you should do that). After that, the signal strength and stability of the connection should be massively improved.

Swiftie
2016-04-24, 23:12
If going wired/static-IP is more than you can cope with (I've never converted my player to Ethernet despite having an Ethernet switch next to the player) then here are a couple of suggestions:

If it's a WiFi connectivity problem, then place a WiFi Access point close to your Duet system. I used a couple of long Ethernet cables and a pair of Powerline adapters to achieve this. So, my Duet show >90% signal.

If you want a "fixed" IP address for controller/player then you can probably allocate them a manually assigned IP address in your router. With this, your devices still use DHCP, but the router always allocates the same IP address(es).

If your problems relate to the NAS, then I have nothing to say; I've purchased a NAS (which contains its' own WiFi Access Point) and plan to use it for my "Spare" DUET system, but I've not yet started this project (it scares me, just a little)

Mnyb
2016-04-24, 23:19
The nas is wired yes ?

Man in a van
2016-04-25, 01:42
So, now, is there anything else out there that can use spotify and similar apps, get to my music on my NAS and, most importantly, use my own hifi system!

Take LMS off the NAS and put it on a raspberry pi.

If you still experience problems, then try the fix suggested by philippe_44 on one of the duets.

atb

Ronnie

eellerto
2016-04-25, 11:07
The nas is wired yes ?

Yes, it is.

DJanGo
2016-04-25, 11:11
did you checked the ip settings on the nas and the duets?
can you ping the nas and the duets when they are in the throw out of the window mode?

eellerto
2016-04-25, 11:13
The 2 Antenna inside the duet are misplaced and cause pour sensitivity. I've done that on 3 duet that were exactly like that, causing a ton of random problems and were driving me nuts. Open the duets, carefully remove the antenna that sits on the wifi card conector (!) using a thin blade or something similar as it is glued with double face tape, re glue it on the frame of box. You can do that as well with the other antenna, but it might be less of an issue (but at that point, once you have opened the box, you should do that). After that, the signal strength and stability of the connection should be massively improved.

Alright, I have done this with one of them. I have noticed that I usually only get about 68% on my wifi reception, never >90%!
I had a hell of a time trying to get it open, then found a video. There are 4 hex screws under the rubber mat!

*Just checked after moving both antennas, it is at 95%!!!!!!!! Let's see if this works!

**edit- I realized later that wifi signal strength on the remote is not telling me what the wifi strength is for the receiver, just what it is for the remote. I figured they were the same...So, now, after finding the supposedly correct readings under settings on the server web page, there is little difference between the duet where I moved the antennas and the one I didn't. So, looks like I may have to try something else.

One other question, do any of you know why Spotify works fine with its native app when connected to mysqueezebox.com on the squeezebox radio, but if I connect to mysqueezebox.com on my duet and use the native Spotify app, I get that "can not play file type" message for every song? This seems odd to me.

Thanks to all of you for the ideas!!!! I may love this this system again!

Elaine

Mnyb
2016-04-25, 11:22
I think I might try this first, since I do have two duets and rarely use the second one (Logitech sent it to me as a mistake eons ago, cough). I do notice that i am only getting about 68% on my wifi reception, never >90%! This may be worth a shot. Static IPs may be the next thing!

One other question, do any of you know why Spotify works fine with its native app when connected to mysqueezebox.com on the squeezebox radio, but if I connect to mysqueezebox.com on my duet and use the native Spotify app, I get that "can not play file type" message for every song? This seems odd to me.

Thanks to all of you for the ideas!!!! I may love this this system again!

Elaine

Because the oficial Spotify app is only supported on Touch or Radio , if you use your local LMS server you can get Spotify trough the 3rd party solutions on this forum . The reciever part of duet is basically a squeezebox 2 and that CPU and memory is to tiny to fit the Spotify stuff .

eellerto
2016-04-25, 11:50
did you checked the ip settings on the nas and the duets?
can you ping the nas and the duets when they are in the throw out of the window mode?

Haven't tried that.

eellerto
2016-04-25, 14:53
Because the oficial Spotify app is only supported on Touch or Radio , if you use your local LMS server you can get Spotify trough the 3rd party solutions on this forum . The reciever part of duet is basically a squeezebox 2 and that CPU and memory is to tiny to fit the Spotify stuff .

Got it! Thanks.

eellerto
2016-04-28, 13:56
Go wired, set static IPs for the SB devices on your router, and never, ever, patch anything, ever... ;)

Out of curiosity, how are you able to control you SB if on ethernet. The controller won't work, I guess the web interface would, but will an app on my android be able to access it if it is plugged in via ethernet?

eellerto
2016-04-28, 14:01
Well, moving antennas didn't help. It is back to taking FOREVER to load and I can't find it on my android app. Exactly what I was experiencing when I started this thread. It is actually playing right now, but it takes about 5 minutes to load the web interface to change a song.

I am going to have to try ethernet. Before I do, does anyone know if you can still use an android app to control the duet, because that is something I don't want to give up!

Thanks!

eellerto
2016-04-28, 14:21
My network health was fine so I dove more into the NAS connection. I activated the beta channel and found LMS 7.9.0, updated, and now it can find the NAS! Hooray! Of course this will only be temporary as another problem will certainly come along, even if it as minor as the microwave shutting everything down. Ethernet still seems the way, as long as I can use my android to control it! I'm hoping someone can answer that question before I go for it.

garym
2016-04-28, 14:33
Well, moving antennas didn't help. It is back to taking FOREVER to load and I can't find it on my android app. Exactly what I was experiencing when I started this thread. It is actually playing right now, but it takes about 5 minutes to load the web interface to change a song.

I am going to have to try ethernet. Before I do, does anyone know if you can still use an android app to control the duet, because that is something I don't want to give up!

Thanks!

I use my iphone app to control my squeezeboxes and LMS even though SBs and LMS are connected via ethernet but the iphone is connected via WIFI. The ethernet and WIFI are still the same network (unless you've specifcally NOT set it up that way).

tcutting
2016-04-28, 15:17
Out of curiosity, how are you able to control you SB if on ethernet. The controller won't work, I guess the web interface would, but will an app on my android be able to access it if it is plugged in via ethernet?

You can have your Receiver half of Duet on wired ethernet, and still use the wireless controller (via wifi) to control (assuming the wifi and ethernet are part of same network). Same holds true for iPeng and/or Android based control solutions. I run a mix of wired and wireless players, and control with combination of LMS Web interface, Controller, OrangeSqueeze (android app), iPeng, and IR Remote (SB3, Touch).

drmatt
2016-04-28, 16:26
The SB controller uses a custom WiFi link to do initial configuration on the receiver, but from the point it is configured onto your primary network the two components speak IP over that network alone, so wired, WiFi, or both. It's one network.

Mnyb
2016-04-28, 21:18

The controller iitselfs stays on wifi or you use your phone .

It all goes trough the server so the controll wether its a phone or a duet controller talks to the server and the server talks tomthe player nd the web is on the server to .

Swiftie
2016-04-28, 23:21
does anyone know if you can still use an android app to control the duet
I use Squeeze Commander on both my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and TAB S2 tablet.
I'd be interested in opinions of other (Android) apps, but let's not start an app war here!

I recently discovered that if you schedule rescans in LMS then you have to "clear cache" in Squeeze Commander's settings after every rescan (presumably just those that update something).
Without the "Clear Cache", you can navigate through to albums in Squeeze Commander but when you display the album, it shows no tracks. This meant that the one thing I couldn't do with Squeeze Commander was play any tracks which rendered it pretty useless until I discovered the cache thing.

bomboloni
2016-04-29, 10:15
I'd be interested in opinions of other (Android) apps, but let's not start an app war here!

I recommend Orange Squeeze, or Squeezer.

My main app (used on a Nexus 5x and Nexus 7) is Orange Squeeze. Orange Squeeze allows use of the Music and Artist Information plugin, which I use a lot, and I can't find a way to use that plugin with Squeezer. However, Squeezer seems to load up faster than Orange Squeeze and it is better if you are looking for basic functionality.

eellerto
2016-04-29, 11:54

I recently discovered that if you schedule rescans in LMS then you have to "clear cache" in Squeeze Commander's settings after every rescan (presumably just those that update something).
Without the "Clear Cache", you can navigate through to albums in Squeeze Commander but when you display the album, it shows no tracks. This meant that the one thing I couldn't do with Squeeze Commander was play any tracks which rendered it pretty useless until I discovered the cache thing.

Huh. Weird. I use Squeeze Commander on my HTC m8 and when I had a galaxy 4 and I don't think I ever had to clear the cache and my LMS is set to rescan often. That's a bummer!

eellerto
2016-04-29, 11:56
Thanks for the clarification on whether I can use my android app and SB remote after hard-wiring the Duet. I was not thinking that deeply about it, they are on the same network!

Thanks, all!

Swiftie
2016-04-29, 22:10
I use Squeeze Commander on my HTC m8 and when I had a galaxy 4 and I don't think I ever had to clear the cache and my LMS is set to rescan often.
I had LMS running "Clear Library and rescan everything" every night. Perhaps this is why Squeeze Commander wasn't showing any tracks without the Clear Cache?

Using "Look for new and changed media files", it doesn't remove albums/tracks that have been deleted. My LMS contained a lot of duplicates which took me several months to eradicate. "Clear Library" was just easier, and there was never any reason to change this until I started using Squeeze Commander.

The actual Logitech Controller showed somewhat related behaviour. After a "Clear Library", if I'd left the controller showing Albums or Artists, then I had problems until I'd gone back to the Home display.

Now I'm back to "Look for new and changed media files", it will be interesting to see what aspects the rescan doesn't cope with.

eellerto
2016-04-30, 08:38
I had LMS running "Clear Library and rescan everything" every night. Perhaps this is why Squeeze Commander wasn't showing any tracks without the Clear Cache?

Using "Look for new and changed media files", it doesn't remove albums/tracks that have been deleted. My LMS contained a lot of duplicates which took me several months to eradicate. "Clear Library" was just easier, and there was never any reason to change this until I started using Squeeze Commander.

I rarely clear library and rescan, I have it set to "Look for new and changed media files". Maybe you are giving it too much busy work :)

eellerto
2016-04-30, 08:47
As we figure out how to get the ethernet port next to the duet active (Comcast set up the modem in the wrong place, naturally), I put on some kids tunes this morning while making pancakes. All good. Then the kids went downstairs to watch tv, which is connected to our 5g network. As soon as they turned it on, Duet is back to its old behaviour, cutting in and out nonstop, no access to it on android app or web app, and I can't turn the bloody thing off! At least it's kid music by They Might be Giants, so it's not too painful.

This does seem odd to me. I am streaming from our NAS (it's not connecting to spotify or anything like that, and its using our regular 2.4ghz network, but when the 5G is being used, I can no longer use the 2.4 ghz channel for the duet. My understanding is that these shouldn't interfere. Obviously I am wrong! The network health option on the remote says the network is fine, BTW. This damn thing is so vexing!

alfista
2016-04-30, 12:40
There's been problems in the past with DLNA clients (your TV may be one) overloading the LMS server. If you have any DLNA plugins in LMS try disabling them.

eellerto
2016-04-30, 15:43
There's been problems in the past with DLNA clients (your TV may be one) overloading the LMS server. If you have any DLNA plugins in LMS try disabling them.

Good to know.

OF course, now the TV is off, has been for hours, and now it won't work at all. Just a few bits of music for 2 seconds, and then nothing for 5-10 minutes.

And now, the duet has switched off and I can't seem to turn it on at all. Web app, remote, nothing. Unplugging, holding the middle button down. Nada. Awesome.

This is the perfect day to check if ethernet will solve all my woes, but I need a connector.

CloudAtlas
2016-05-01, 10:59
I recommend Orange Squeeze, or Squeezer.

My main app (used on a Nexus 5x and Nexus 7) is Orange Squeeze. Orange Squeeze allows use of the Music and Artist Information plugin, which I use a lot, and I can't find a way to use that plugin with Squeezer. However, Squeezer seems to load up faster than Orange Squeeze and it is better if you are looking for basic functionality.
Been using Squeezer for a while on a Duet and Rpi1 with Picoreplayer, with no problems and since it's free it makes it even better.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Ron Olsen
2016-05-02, 03:28
Good to know.

OF course, now the TV is off, has been for hours, and now it won't work at all. Just a few bits of music for 2 seconds, and then nothing for 5-10 minutes.

And now, the duet has switched off and I can't seem to turn it on at all. Web app, remote, nothing. Unplugging, holding the middle button down. Nada. Awesome.

This is the perfect day to check if ethernet will solve all my woes, but I need a connector.

If it's not convenient to run Ethernet cable to your Duet, try using Powerline adapters, such as http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA8010P-KIT-Pass-through-Powerline/dp/B00Y3QPG1A/

eellerto
2016-05-02, 13:30
If it's not convenient to run Ethernet cable to your Duet, try using Powerline adapters, such as http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA8010P-KIT-Pass-through-Powerline/dp/B00Y3QPG1A/

I just learned about these "HomePlugs" the other day. Super cool. But, now that I have found a ethernet port nearby, I want to try to activate that first. But, even RadioShack does't have an ethernet coupler! I just ordered one.

Someone mentioned disabling any DLNA plug-ins on LMS. I didn't think there was any but I found a "UPnP/DLNA media interface" plug in by Andy Grundman that was installed. I have no idea if disabling it will help with the TV interference or not, although preliminary evidence seems to be positive. However, who knows with Duet. I am hesitant that it fixed anything because, as we all know here, it is just as likely to stop working later today, or this week again.

eellerto
2016-05-11, 14:39
Well, I have had zero problems with my Duet since I disabled that plug-in, a plug-in that I never abled in the first place. It has been so good in fact, that I just bought a Boom for our patio. Thanks to everyone that helped me to love my Squeezebox again!

2016-06-18, 06:42
I was in the same boat as the OP. Every so often, my SB decides not to work. The last time the receiver's red LED was on steady. I'm running the software server on a Windows Home Server (WHS) 2011 box, with the receiver in an equipment room next to my router. I had it connected via Ethernet.

When I looked at clients on my router I saw the controller but not the receiver. No players were found on either the controller or the server software. Doing a receiver reboot/reset made no difference.

I took the philippe_44 advice here and relocated the wireless antennas inside the receiver (BTW the screws are Torx T10). Rebooted the receiver and it connected wirelessly according to my router.

Since I prefer a wired setup, I kicked it out of the wireless clients on my router and swapped in a new Ethernet cable. While it does not show up as a wired client, it had a reserved IP, as does my WHS box.

While I was at it, I downloaded v. 7.90 and installed it on the WHS box. I also disabled the DLNA plugin as per the prior post.

I found that I then had lost access to the receiver again. I removed the Ethernet cable and rebooted the router to restore the IP I had kicked out earlier. Now the router no longer lists things such as my WHS box by name, but I recognize the IP. The controller is listed as a wireless client, but the receiver is MIA. Rebooting/resetting with or without the Ethernet cable makes no difference.

I'm back to flashing red LED. Apparently the receiver cannot be found by the network. This is some really touchy crap. I wish there was an alternative.

I'll note that the Android app (SqueezeConfig) and UDAP software fixes mentioned on this board appear to be vaporware as of today. I could not find either, all links are dead. I have a request in to a member for the SqueezeConfig APK. If I get it and it works, I'll update here and try to find a permanent host for the file.

2016-06-18, 06:57
In the process of rebooting everything, I had the option come up on the controller to chose a wired or wireless network. I chose wired, and then subsequently got the chance to update the controller's software from 7.7.3 to 7.8.0. I did so, and after it installed the red light transitioned to green then blue, then out.

The receiver shows up by Mac address on the router's client list as a wireless client. I guess it can't be recognized via Ethernet.

I now have access to my music again. :)