PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet question plus...

daleyb
2016-04-03, 11:46
Hi Folks, Thinking of buying my first S.B.Touch got a few simple (i think) questions...

1.Got my Main Computer downstairs.With ripped files on Internal HD. I want to send my tunes upstairs to my Main Hifi upstairs.I have a main telephone line mains upstairs next to my hifi. (i dont use it as a phone line-but it works) Can I therefore just plug in a Ethernet Connection to my phone line to my S.B.T....? or will I need to add a filter to split phone/modem.. like downstairs(this one goes/splits to phone & Router).

2.Do I have to create a NEW ACCESS point/Network for the S.B.T...?

3. Is Support for S.B.T. going to Continue ..? (Hope so dont like the Sonos route..)

4. Seeing as Iam not a Apple fan which is the Best app on Anroid for S.B.T....? ive downloaded the Contoller (free but are the paid ones better..?)

5.Can Anyone drop me a link to make the server on Computer work (on win.7 /64) ...and how does this server work is it via the web (It opens in Browser) and scans your hard drive...So why does it have to access the web-if its using my HD..? Maybe Ive missed something here...

...so theres 6 basic questions from a S.B.T beginner.By the way Iam In U.K. Using fibre optic

Jeff07971
2016-04-03, 12:02
Hi Folks, Thinking of buying my first S.B.Touch got a few simple (i think) questions...

1.Got my Main Computer downstairs.With ripped files on Internal HD. I want to send my tunes upstairs to my Main Hifi upstairs.I have a main telephone line mains upstairs next to my hifi. (i dont use it as a phone line-but it works) Can I therefore just plug in a Ethernet Connection to my phone line to my S.B.T....? or will I need to add a filter to split phone/modem.. like downstairs(this one goes/splits to phone & Router).

3. Is Support for S.B.T. going to Continue ..? (Hope so dont like the Sonos route..)

4. Seeing as Iam not a Apple fan which is the Best app on Anroid for S.B.T....? ive downloaded the Contoller (free but are the paid ones better..?)

5.Can Anyone drop me a link to make the server on Computer work (on win.7 /64) ...and how does this server work is it via the web (It opens in Browser) and scans your hard drive...So why does it have to access the web-if its using my HD..? Maybe Ive missed something here...

...so theres 6 basic questions from a S.B.T beginner.By the way Iam In U.K. Using fibre optic

1. Do you mean you're trying to use the cable to try and make an ethernet connection ? If it is a 2 pair cable and not connected to the phone line you probably can (100M ethernet only uses 2 pairs and over a short didstance should be OK). If it is connected to your phone line the answer is no (without getting very complex). My advice would be (best to worst) Ethernet CAT5E cable and connectors, Powerline networking, Wireless (WiFi)

2. If your Touch can recieve your WiFi network all should be OK anyway, no need to create another network.

3. SBT has been obsolete for many years now but there is plenty of support here.

4. I like orangesqueeze on android myself it works well for me.

5. dowload link for latest server(s) is here http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/
I use linux myself but again theres plenty of people on here that use LMS on Windows. The server serves "music" to the SBT it also has a web interface which can be accessed via a browser and is also how the android apps connect.

Jeff

castalla
2016-04-03, 13:39

1. This will NOT work -do not try!

2. Touch has wifi to connect to your existing network - straightforward.

3. Install LMS on your PC - point music library at the PC music folder - scans once - music available on Touch.

Man in a van
2016-04-03, 13:59

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Perhaps someone local can help with the set-up.

atb

Ronnie.

Oh, and welcome:p

garym
2016-04-03, 14:15
1. This will NOT work -do not try!

I'm the one that recommended a TOUCH/LMS setup to daleyb on another forum. I'm not 100% clear about it, but what he calls a "telephone" jack downstairs near his stereo he described in more detail and it sounds like he has ADSL and could connect a switch there for connecting his Touch via ethernet. I was confused initially by his "telephone" reference, but in other correspondence it seems he has had internet connection via that port in the past that worked.

castalla
2016-04-03, 14:26
I'm the one that recommended a TOUCH/LMS setup to daleyb on another forum. I'm not 100% clear about it, but what he calls a "telephone" jack downstairs near his stereo he described in more detail and it sounds like he has ADSL and could connect a switch there for connecting his Touch via ethernet. I was confused initially by his "telephone" reference, but in other correspondence it seems he has had internet connection via that port in the past that worked.

But why complicate matters? If he lives in a typical UK house it'll be made of cardboard walls and wooden floors - and most likely quite small !!!! Wifi is the way to go.

Jeff07971
2016-04-03, 14:29
But why complicate matters? If he lives in a typical UK house it'll be made of cardboard walls and wooden floors - and most likely quite small !!!! Wifi is the way to go.

Or if he lives in a brick mansion, Powerline networking

garym
2016-04-03, 14:38

he'll have to chime in, but I recall he has terrible wifi connection on his lower level (router and main computer that will run LMS is on an upper floor).

castalla
2016-04-03, 14:41
he'll have to chime in, but I recall he has terrible wifi connection on his lower level (router and main computer that will run LMS is on an upper floor).

Is fibre optic ADSL?

Jeff07971
2016-04-03, 14:44
Is fibre optic ADSL?

Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)(sold as fibre) is VDSL, but comes onto the premis in the same way as ADSL.

If its Virgin "Fibre" it comes into the premis as a coax

Jeff07971
2016-04-03, 14:47
I think we may be confusing the OP.

It boils down to as you say, If wifi works thats the way to go, leave the cables alone.
If Wifi dosent work or is not reliable go Powerline.

castalla
2016-04-03, 15:01
I think we may be confusing the OP.

It boils down to as you say, If wifi works thats the way to go, leave the cables alone.
If Wifi dosent work or is not reliable go Powerline.

Agreed

garym
2016-04-03, 15:04
No offense meant daleyb!, but daleyb is a newbie when it comes to networks and network streaming. We met with back and forth discussions on the dbpoweramp forum discussing issues on ripping CDs and converting. I was trying to keep him from being sucked into the world of overpriced networked streamers that use DLNA (e.g., NAIM and LINN) that would do way less than a squeezbox setup for a LOT more money. As some point in our discussion, I suggested coming over here and learning more about how to setup LMS on his main computer and stream to something next to his computer. I suggested a TOUCH as easy, given that his computer knowledge was not yet up to a Pi running squeezelite, etc.

Hopefully we can talk him through his required setup to get his music playing from his computer upstairs (which he can run LMS on) to his stereo downstairs. He's interested in a phone/tablet app to control all this as well. anyhow, time for him to chime in with more info on this "connection" in the music room.

Man in a van
2016-04-03, 16:34
Hopefully we can talk him through his required setup to get his music playing from his computer upstairs (which he can run LMS on) to his stereo downstairs. He's interested in a phone/tablet app to control all this as well. anyhow, time for him to chime in with more info on this "connection" in the music room.

If he's within a reasonable distance I'll send the boys round to sort him out:cool::cool:

daleyb
2016-04-04, 03:27
If he's within a reasonable distance I'll send the boys round to sort him out:cool::cool:

Your welcome to send the Boys round (Iam based In Leicester )So any help always welcome.!!!

Just a Few points to clarify....My Computers/router Downstairs, My main Hifis upstairs.So I just need a nice simple (but stable) way of Getting the flac files from my Computer up to the Touch (when I get one).

My House is NOT small (its not a mansion either) But it is Detached.So no Cardboard walls here.. hi Garym (so we meet again..) think you may be getting me mixed up with some one else...My Wifi here is really good (even without boosting via TP link.) If I cannot use my telephone Line ADSL / FILTER box-like the one downstairs that splits to phone & modem -upstairs, then Cant I just use a Tplink plu socket using ethernet to hard wire my S.B.T..? ( I dont like the idea of just using wifi alone (I dont know how good S.B.T are at wifi -but Surely Nothing beats a Hard wired connection...)

Got LMS running on Computer-No probs scanned in tunes-but cannot make them play. (Iam running Foobar-so not that bothered-but is there no way I can get LMS TO PLAY without having a Squeeze player..??

Keep it Simple folks (Its not called a Beginners thread for nowt!)...But Many thanks all for Helping a S.B.T. virgin.

Jeff07971
2016-04-04, 03:39
Your welcome to send the Boys round (Iam based In Leicester )So any help always welcome.!!!

Just a Few points to clarify....My Computers/router Downstairs, My main Hifis upstairs.So I just need a nice simple (but stable) way of Getting the flac files from my Computer up to the Touch (when I get one).

My House is NOT small (its not a mansion either) But it is Detached.So no Cardboard walls here.. hi Garym (so we meet again..) think you may be getting me mixed up with some one else...My Wifi here is really good (even without boosting via TP link.) If I cannot use my telephone Line ADSL / FILTER box-like the one downstairs that splits to phone & modem -upstairs, then Cant I just use a Tplink plu socket using ethernet to hard wire my S.B.T..? ( I dont like the idea of just using wifi alone (I dont know how good S.B.T are at wifi -but Surely Nothing beats a Hard wired connection...)

Got LMS running on Computer-No probs scanned in tunes-but cannot make them play. (Iam running Foobar-so not that bothered-but is there no way I can get LMS TO PLAY without having a Squeeze player..??

Keep it Simple folks (Its not called a Beginners thread for nowt!)...But Many thanks all for Helping a S.B.T. virgin.

OK so you've got LMS running, good.
LMS is a server it has no playing functionality, as you have correctly found "squeeze player" is a software player (I'm assuming you mean the software player on the windows machine rather than a hardware player (SB3,SBT etc) ?).
For the time being you can get your control app on your phone or tablet and try them out, these should be able to control the squeeze player.

As you have said there is nothing better than a proper hard wired connection but it must be on the correct type of cable, connectors etc and not used for anything else. Second would be powerline networking(I'm assuming this is the TPlink plugs), third would be wifi. It is certainly worth trying wifi first it maybe fine (a lot of people find it so)

Jeff

castalla
2016-04-04, 03:57
OK so you've got LMS running, good.
LMS is a server it has no playing functionality, as you have correctly found "squeeze player" is a software player (I'm assuming you mean the software player on the windows machine rather than a hardware player (SB3,SBT etc) ?).
For the time being you can get your control app on your phone or tablet and try them out, these should be able to control the squeeze player.

As you have said there is nothing better than a proper hard wired connection but it must be on the correct type of cable, connectors etc and not used for anything else. Second would be powerline networking(I'm assuming this is the TPlink plugs), third would be wifi. It is certainly worth trying wifi first it maybe fine (a lot of people find it so)

Jeff

Our house is stone and concrete (including floors). The Touch is at 14m from router on upper floor separated by at least 3 intervening walls. Wifi on Touch reports as 70% - performance is perfect.

Man in a van
2016-04-04, 04:05

We'll talk about the boys later!

Try this for now to use you computer and LMS

Assuming you have a Windows PC.
Open the Settings page on LMS (bottom right on the web gui)
Left click on the Plugins Tab.
Scroll down to the Local Player Plugin and tick the Box.
Restart LMS.
Return to the Plugins page and locate Local Player and complete the Settings (start player with Server).
Restart LMS.
Go to the web gui and select Squeezelite from the drop down box in the top right corner.
Select something to play and the computer default output should oblige.

Hope I got those details correct.

got to do lunch now, Bakson!

Ronnie

DJanGo
2016-04-04, 04:07
Our house is stone and concrete (including floors). The Touch is at 14m from router on upper floor separated by at least 3 intervening walls. Wifi on Touch reports as 70% - performance is perfect.

Hi,

Since we moved into a new House - my Wifi (the same that i hate in the old House) now works perfect.
Reson is simple - in the new Location there are two other Wlan Spots all are very low and no one is using "my" Channels".

So WIFI works over xyz Meters/Feets/inches over abc thick Walls is a "hint" not a Tipp!

It all depends on too many Variables - most of them are out of your own todo list.

If you cant get LAN to your Location - maybe you move the System with lms next to your Player.
If you wont move that System - get Power over Lan - easy Plugin and they run right from the Start.
You also add the Localplayer Plugin to your LMS Server and if that System is some fanless system - move that into your Livingroom.

Jeff07971
2016-04-04, 04:13
If you wont move that System - get Power over Lan - easy Plugin and they run right from the Start.

I think you mean LAN over Power (powerline networking), not Power over LAN which would probably be POE.

daleyb
2016-04-04, 09:36
[QUOTE=Man in a van;850294]We'll talk about the boys later!

Tried this but no joy.Went to plug Ins and could not Find "local player".....But on Another note I think its great I can just keep Ripping Cds VIA of DBPA and lms rescans new CDs Instead of the whole lot.Nice.....

Do i have to add ACCOUNT/EMAIL ON WEB GUI..??

Jeff07971
2016-04-04, 09:42

Tried this but no joy.Went to plug Ins and could not Find "local player".....But on Another note I think its great I can just keep Ripping Cds VIA of DBPA and lms rescans new CDs Instead of the whole lot.Nice.....

Localplayer is a plugin which allows you to play from the server computer, plugins can be found by clicking settings in the bottom right hand side of the main GUI.

It may be more instructive to use "Squeezeplay" this is what I thought you meant by player it can be downloaded here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pvwd64gn206e5s2/SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r639.zip

You only need to add an email etc if you have a squeezenetwork account else press skip

Jeff

daleyb
2016-04-04, 11:16
[QUOTE=daleyb;850310]

Localplayer is a plugin which allows you to play from the server computer, plugins can be found by clicking settings in the bottom right hand side of the main GUI.

It may be more instructive to use "Squeezeplay" this is what I thought you meant by player it can be downloaded here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pvwd64gn206e5s2/SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r639.zip

You only need to add an email etc if you have a squeezenetwork account else press skip

Jeff

Nice one Jeff...Tried that way but it wouldnt Connect to PC. (..and my server was ON.)... why would I need a
squeezenetwork account..? This is all a bit New to me.

kidstypike
2016-04-04, 11:46
[QUOTE=Jeff07971;850312]

Nice one Jeff...Tried that way but it wouldnt Connect to PC. (..and my server was ON.)... why would I need a

With SqueezePlayer running, in the LMS web-ui, the dropdown box top right should list all players connected to your network, is SqueezePlayer listed?

Jeff07971
2016-04-04, 12:09
[QUOTE=Jeff07971;850312]

You have SqueezePlay installed on the same machine as the LMS ?

Jeff

garym
2016-04-04, 13:06

in the settings, did you tick "show all third party plugins" so that all the plugins show up. I have used both Squeezeplay and Squeezelite (local player) both as software players on my windows PC and both work very well. You're likely just missing a small step or setting.

Man in a van
2016-04-04, 13:10
[QUOTE=daleyb;850310]

in the settings, did you tick "show all third party plugins" so that all the plugins show up. I have used both Squeezeplay and Squeezelite (local player) both as software players on my windows PC and both work very well. You're likely just missing a small step or setting.

You know, I keep forgetting that. I use the v7.9.0 nightly and I don't seem to remember having to do that for a while (or It just might be my memory:o)

kidstypike
2016-04-04, 13:15

mysqueezebox.com is a server in the clouds, you can turn your PC off and connect your Touch (when you get it) to this server, to play Radio stations, music streaming services (Spotify, Tidal etc.), you cannot however, play your local music files when connected to mysqueezebox.com.

You need to open an account to use it, completely free.

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home

garym
2016-04-04, 14:28
mysqueezebox.com is a server in the clouds, you can turn your PC off and connect your Touch (when you get it) to this server, to play Radio stations, music streaming services (Spotify, Tidal etc.), you cannot however, play your local music files when connected to mysqueezebox.com.

You need to open an account to use it, completely free.

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home

(and "mysqueezebox.com" used to be called "squeezenetwork" before they changed the name)

daleyb
2016-04-05, 01:37
[QUOTE=daleyb;850318]

With SqueezePlayer running, in the LMS web-ui, the dropdown box top right should list all players connected to your network, is SqueezePlayer listed?

still no joy ticked every plugin and still did not start. at the top of web GUI its just says ( Choose player and below "no player found")..remember theres no attached player yet....Just Wanted the GUI WEB PLAYER TO PLAY.can see all my music listed.artwork though.

daleyb
2016-04-05, 01:40
[QUOTE=daleyb;850318]

You have SqueezePlay installed on the same machine as the LMS ?

Jeff

yes.

Jeff07971
2016-04-05, 01:42
[QUOTE=Jeff07971;850323]

yes.

Is it running ?

Jeff

kidstypike
2016-04-05, 01:43
[QUOTE=kidstypike;850321]

still no joy ticked every plugin and still did not start. at the top of web GUI its just says ( Choose player and below "no player found")..remember theres no attached player yet....Just Wanted the GUI WEB PLAYER TO PLAY.can see all my music listed.artwork though.

Have you installed SqueezePlayer? Is it running?
What didn't start?
Have you even got a wireless network?
Do you see the SqueezePlayer window as below?

daleyb
2016-04-05, 02:10
[QUOTE=daleyb;850355]

Have you installed SqueezePlayer? Is it running?
What didn't start?
Have you even got a wireless network?
Do you see the SqueezePlayer window as below?

yes. (WITH SERVER RUNNING TOO.)20237

the Gui wont play(but its shown..on computer

Yes I have a wireless network.

yes.

kidstypike
2016-04-05, 02:14
[QUOTE=kidstypike;850358]

the Gui wont play(but its shown..on computer

yes.

Firewall?

Jeff07971
2016-04-05, 02:15
[QUOTE=kidstypike;850358]

Dont Know.

yes.

OK this looks to me like a firewall problem, a network would not be needed (at the moment).

Does a browser (on that machine) connect to "http://127.0.0.1:9000" and display the GUI ?

Can you try briefly disabling the firewall, and see if that clears the problem.

Jeff

Jeff07971
2016-04-05, 02:23
[QUOTE=daleyb;850360]

OK this looks to me like a firewall problem, a network would not be needed (at the moment).

Does a browser (on that machine) connect to "http://127.0.0.1:9000" and display the GUI ?

Can you try briefly disabling the firewall, and see if that clears the problem.

Jeff

OK just insalled LMS on one of my machines and squeezeplay - the same thing happen

Leave it with me for a minute !! As I said I use LMS under linux so I'll have to have a look around.

Jeff

daleyb
2016-04-05, 02:45
AH!! got it working. Knew I had when seen "squeezeplayer" poped up in choose player on GUI.just need to get my S.B.T now..... Thanks all for help.Happy Days!

Jeff07971
2016-04-05, 02:50
AH!! got it working. Knew I had when seen "squeezeplayer" poped up in choose player on GUI.just need to get my S.B.T now..... Thanks all for help.Happy Days!

Glad you got it working !

Now you should be able to just add your SBT (or any of the SB clients) and off you go !

You could try installing SqueezePlay on another computer connected to the same network just to check network connectivity.

Have fun

Jeff

Man in a van
2016-04-05, 02:58
[QUOTE=Jeff07971;850362]

OK just insalled LMS on one of my machines and squeezeplay - the same thing happen

Leave it with me for a minute !! As I said I use LMS under linux so I'll have to have a look around.

Jeff

Just checked mine (on Windows 8.1) and it's missing.

It was there yesterday afternoon

The three shown players work fine.

Ronnie

Jeff07971
2016-04-05, 03:05
[QUOTE=Jeff07971;850364]

Just checked mine (on Windows 8.1) and it's missing.

It was there yesterday afternoon

The three shown players work fine.

Ronnie

Yeah something a bit odd there, I use linux so am now going to drop out of this.

Maybe worth asking in the Windows LMS thread !

Man in a van
2016-04-05, 03:10
[QUOTE=Man in a van;850371]

Yeah something a bit odd there, I use linux so am now going to drop out of this.

Maybe worth asking in the Windows LMS thread !

Yeah, maybe. I don't use Squeezeplay very often on this laptop, I prefer Local Player, Squeezelite, so it's no big deal.

Anyway, it will be lunchtime soon (said Bunter :p)

Ronnie

daleyb
2016-04-06, 09:25
Its stop working again DOH!

garym
2016-04-06, 09:30

what exactly is not working? What are you seeing/not seeing. You have to be a lot more descriptive for us to be able to diagnose and help.

Jeff07971
2016-04-06, 09:50

Hi Daleyb,

That is a bit odd, as I said I had the same problem when I tried a test install to try and help you.
I'm suspecting a "Windows Weirdy", Have you downloaded an Android app ?
The one I suggested "Oransqueeze" also has a player available which may (or may not) appear in the player list in the LMS GUI.
This may help determine whether the fualt is the LMS or the Player.

Jeff

daleyb
2016-04-06, 10:34
what exactly is not working? What are you seeing/not seeing. You have to be a lot more descriptive for us to be able to diagnose and help.

sorry to be playing "mind-reader" again ! Its the LMS GUI. got it playing yesterday "squeezeplayer" popped up in chose player..Now its removed again .Its no problem (got foobar) but thought it would be nice to get it playing.Someone suggested its a firewall problem-but if its worked once, my guess its nothing to do with it.

Like the layout of LMS gui though.Cant wait to get my S.B.T now...

garym
2016-04-06, 10:36
sorry to be playing "mind-reader" again ! Its the LMS GUI. got it playing yesterday "squeezeplayer" popped up in chose player..Now its removed again .Its no problem (got foobar) but thought it would be nice to get it playing.Someone suggested its a firewall problem-but if its worked once, my guess its nothing to do with it.

Like the layout of LMS gui though.Cant wait to get my S.B.T now...

Is Squeezeplay running? You have to start that separately from the LMS webGUI.

daleyb
2016-04-07, 03:10
Is Squeezeplay running? You have to start that separately from the LMS webGUI.

have already opened Squeezeplay. Its all running great now.The problem was infact the Firewall.You Guys really know your stuff....I have free AVG A.V. and it popped up and let me know. I have allowed access (hopefully no nasties In LMS Stuff..)

Many thanks for help!