PDA

View Full Version : Way to get SiriusXM into my system

Ikabob
2016-03-11, 07:35
I really miss Sirius thru my stereo system. I don't think it's coming back thru the SB system. I figured a way to get SiriusXM back into my system. It's not through the SBes unfortunately. Please tell me if I'm wrong here. Grace Products offers a tuner/receiver for ~219-25% that I could put into my DAC/ preamp to the stereo system and to my wired speakers. True, I could not sync with my SBs but I could enjoy Sirius stations on my stereo system! I could have the options of Grace/Sirius or SBs/ internet radios( no Sirius).
I think this would get Sirius back into my house. Thanks. There's hope.

PS: or I could get the Sonos Connect. (Twice the cost)....better sound quality????

garym
2016-03-12, 09:38
I really miss Sirius thru my stereo system. I don't think it's coming back thru the SB system. I figured a way to get SiriusXM back into my system. It's not through the SBes unfortunately. Please tell me if I'm wrong here. Grace Products offers a tuner/receiver for ~219-25% that I could put into my DAC/ preamp to the stereo system and to my wired speakers. True, I could not sync with my SBs but I could enjoy Sirius stations on my stereo system! I could have the options of Grace/Sirius or SBs/ internet radios( no Sirius).
I think this would get Sirius back into my house. Thanks. There's hope.

PS: or I could get the Sonos Connect. (Twice the cost)....better sound quality????

why not one of the chromecast-audio. Even cheaper. Pluginto DAC, cast from phone....
https://www.google.com/chromecast/speakers/

alnames
2016-03-12, 12:25
I also lament the loss of SiriusXM in the LMS ecosystem. I've tried a couple of other options.

1. The wavin plughw plugin allowed for the possibility to stream through LMS an analog input. Since I'm using Raspberry Pi's for everything, I had to add a USB DAC that I could configure to accept an analog input as if it were a microphone input on the device. I then connected it to an old tablet running the SiriusXM app and I could stream it to my players (all Raspberry Pi's using the excellent picoreplayer software). It worked, but the sound was not great and I had to access the old tablet to change the station.

2. What I use now is something I put together that was a bit of a kludge of various pieces. I discovered a simple python script at Github that will create a server that will stream SiriusXM in the HLS format (using your user id/password) when the LMS requests a stream (i.e if LMS requests http://raspberry pi IP:9001/26.m3u8, the Pi will begin streaming Classic Vinyl). I run that in a terminal window on a Raspberry Pi I access via VNC. I then installed the PlayHLS plugin for LMS. I created several favorites in LMS for all the stations I listen to and can select them directly in LMS. The sound is pretty good. The problem with this setup is the stream continues even after stopping the playback in LMS. I have to close the terminal on the Pi to stop it from streaming. It was all a bit complicated, but it works for now until something better comes along (ickStream?).

Ikabob
2016-03-13, 06:15
why not one of the chromecast-audio. Even cheaper. Pluginto DAC, cast from phone....
https://www.google.com/chromecast/speakers/

Thank you Garym. Had not heard that Chromcast-audio would work. Sounds like a great possibility. Going to get it today!

garym
2016-03-13, 06:39
Thank you Garym. Had not heard that Chromcast-audio would work. Sounds like a great possibility. Going to get it today!

to be clear, I haven't used it myself to get sirius (don't even have one). This is just what I've read elsewhere.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/gWG6RoXsNVs;context-place=forum/chromecast

I don't know if you can cast from iOS siriusxm app. But surely you could from a Chrome browser on your PC.

Ikabob
2016-03-17, 02:02
to be clear, I haven't used it myself to get sirius (don't even have one). This is just what I've read elsewhere.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/gWG6RoXsNVs;context-place=forum/chromecast

I don't know if you can cast from iOS siriusxm app. But surely you could from a Chrome browser on your PC.

I got the Chromcast. I asked the salesperson about connecting to my DAC. To do this by an optical cord(toslink), I'd have to buy an adapter. Plus, to power the Chromcast device it's necessary to go though a USB output. That said, the salesman didn't think it would provide real great audio quality. To me it was too complicated and lacked a good outcome. So, I abandoned the idea and I remain without SiriusXM. I do have it on my iPhone and in my car but I really wanted it back on my main stereo system. I know it isn't going to happen. I even thought about getting the SONOS CONNECT which would have streamed Sirius. I didn't think it was worth the $400 cost or the cluttering of the area with another box (white box).

It is too bad no manufacturer has picked up the Squeezbox line of devices. The lost system was the best.

castalla
2016-03-17, 03:41
I got the Chromcast. I asked the salesperson about connecting to my DAC. To do this by an optical cord(toslink), I'd have to buy an adapter. Plus, to power the Chromcast device it's necessary to go though a USB output. That said, the salesman didn't think it would provide real great audio quality. To me it was too complicated and lacked a good outcome. So, I abandoned the idea and I remain without SiriusXM. I do have it on my iPhone and in my car but I really wanted it back on my main stereo system. I know it isn't going to happen. I even thought about getting the SONOS CONNECT which would have streamed Sirius. I didn't think it was worth the $400 cost or the cluttering of the area with another box (white box).

It is too bad no manufacturer has picked up the Squeezbox line of devices. The lost system was the best.

Reviews I've seen suggest the onboard Cast dac is quite good.

I'm no 'audiophile' but the sound output is more than acceptable to my ears!

garym
2016-03-17, 04:55

I suspect the salesman didn't have a clue about most of what he/she was saying. In particular, the "not great audio quaility".** The Chromecast audio can stream hires (24/96) bit perfect to an attached DAC. And even that is overkill for siriusXM streams! Everything I've read indicates that connection and uses is very simple.

** I suspect the salesperson suffers from the "if it only cost $35, how could it sound good" problem? Recall that the audiophools had the same comments about the Squeezeboxes (too cheap to sound good!).

tcutting
2016-03-17, 09:22

I've been able to play SiriusXM through particular "squeeze" players - specifically my RaspberryPi's running piCorePlayer and the ShairPort function. I also am using an old iPhone with the SiriusXM app, and use AirPlay to then stream to my player.
There may be a ShairPort plugin on LMS which allows all Squeeze players to be accessible via ShairPort/AirPlay - but I'm not sure. But at least I do currently have access to SiriusXM content on a couple of my Squeeze players.

toby10
2016-03-18, 05:09
..... Plus, to power the Chromcast device it's necessary to go though a USB output.....

That's the simple part of this setup. Just use any Android or iPhone USB wall charger + standard USB cable. Readily available under $5.
http://www.amazon.com/DP-Audio-Video-WC210BL-Charger/dp/B00Q6VF2BO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1458302850&sr=8-5&keywords=android+usb+wall&refinements=p_76%3A2661625011

Ikabob
2016-03-21, 07:26
Thank for all the responses to help get SiriusXM back into my audio system . I may go back to the ChromecastbAudio method.