PDA

View Full Version : Roon and squeezeboxes migration rate ?

Mnyb
2016-02-28, 11:10
I went over to their forum and had a look the nick's where very familiar a lot people we used to see here on this forum and and bunch of guys from the meridian forum .

Anyone having any idea of the size of the userbases ? Squeezeboxes is slowly shrinking even if the corpse is sometimes reanimated by all enthusiasts here (yay its alive ! ) Roon is new and growing .

I'm confident that LMS in some form will exist practically forever as its a open source projekt but the world moves on things change . (strangely enough LMS peaks in quality :) 3 years after the product died that is cool ).

I will probably test the Roon stuff at some point , when their product have matured a bit more .

garym
2016-02-28, 12:53
I went over to their forum and had a look the nick's where very familiar a lot people we used to see here on this forum and and bunch of guys from the meridian forum .

Anyone having any idea of the size of the userbases ? Squeezeboxes is slowly shrinking even if the corpse is sometimes reanimated by all enthusiasts here (yay its alive ! ) Roon is new and growing .

I'm confident that LMS in some form will exist practically forever as its a open source projekt but the world moves on things change . (strangely enough LMS peaks in quality :) 3 years after the product died that is cool ).

I will probably test the Roon stuff at some point , when their product have matured a bit more .

no clue, but I joined the roon forum and peek in a bit to see discussions. Haven't tested Roon yet. Waiting for something I can install on my linux server that already has my music, as I don't want to depend on having my windows machine on. Yes, between Roon and Ickstream, I see some hope for survival.

Mnyb
2016-02-28, 13:17
Mixed bag . Roon apearently have the extended deep metadata exploratory thingy that could immensely improve the experience ,that we discussed many times in this forum .
I thougth that ickstream was thinking about that too .

But some of the stuff we had for decades is not really there yet .
I also await a Linux version . I could try on my windows install i run in parallell for games , but i would like their product mature a couple of months half a year or so .
I did realise that these are the guys that did Sooloos , so they have the experience , If this is sooloos but better and to acceptable prices (i've seen soolooos nice stuff but insane pricing so still have LMS and squeezeboxes even if have a Meridian system ) it could be something .

What they do is hard to do in free software even metadata and bios pictures, lyrics and stuff are monetised , The diffrent lyrics plugin we had over the years for example they donít work so good anymore for that reason .

epoch1970
2016-02-28, 14:44
I've had a glimpse at their forum's stats, I wouldn't say they've reached escape velocity yet... However I didn't try comparing figures to this forum's stats.

I wonder if some interest isn't building towards Plex as a music server. As a video server Plex is, I think, a modern and reasonably competent solution; not as honed as LMS can be for audio, but with potential and momentum.

Anyways, we're only discussing of market niches here.

Mnyb
2016-02-28, 14:57
Wonder how they do off forum . The majority of squeezebox users are not signed up here or the logitech forum .

Bah we probably never know how many of each camp there is :) we are not likely to get any real business figures from anyone .

Roon dont make any hardware off thier own , but they identified a need for the hardware hifi companies . Who usually cant come up with any good streamimg solutions of thier own .
So they provide a solution .

epoch1970
2016-02-28, 15:20
Well in my opinion there are 2 "good" streaming solutions today: google cast and airplay.
And there is always BT audio, FWIW.
I wish Roon good luck offering their software mojo to desperate hardware brands.

castalla
2016-02-28, 15:33
Well in my opinion there are 2 "good" streaming solutions today: google cast and airplay.
And there is always BT audio, FWIW.
I wish Roon good luck offering their software mojo to desperate hardware brands.

And .. LMS can utilize both cast and airplay (at no cost)