PDA

View Full Version : poll: how many have AirPlay devices ?

philippe_44
2016-01-20, 23:45
if you have one, would you use

a- replay gain
b- fade in/out
c- cross fade
d- Airplay are only 44.1/16, would you be okay to change LMS config to do transcoding (3 lines in custom_convert.conf)

rkrug
2016-01-21, 01:34
philippe_44 <philippe_44.79u16n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> if you have one, would you use
>
> a- replay gain
> b- fade in/out
> c- cross fade
> d- Airplay are only 44.1/16, would you be okay to change LMS config to
> do transcoding (3 lines in custom_convert.conf)

a
d - I am running LMS on a pogoplug E02 (specs below) and I don't know if
there would be room for transcoding for the Airplay device - but if it
works, yes.

,----
| Architecture: ARMv5te
| Processor: Marvell Kirkwood 1.2GHz
| RAM: 256MB
| NAND: 128MB
| USB: 4
| Ethernet: Gigabit
`----

>
>
>
> LMS 7.7.5 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos 2xPLAY:1,
> PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBMC, Foobar2000, XBoxOne,
> JRiver 21, Chromecast Audio, Chromecast v1, Pi B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+,
> Odroid-C1, Cubie2
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> philippe_44's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17261
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105060
>
>

d6jg
2016-01-21, 03:20
I have an Apple TV in a bedroom. I sometimes use it as an Airplay device with iPeng and the player add in.

Personally I would say that it isn't worth trying to make it a SqueezeBox in its own right. The CCA route is much more cost effective I would suggest and already has 24/96

woodster
2016-01-21, 04:33
Hi,

I would use it, as I have some native AIRPLAY speakers, and instead of adding extra hardware in front of them, they can be used as is.

Regarding your questions
a - don't think so
b - don't think so
c - don't think so
d - is it on a player level, or a general setting for LMS. Why not?

if you have one, would you use

a- replay gain
b- fade in/out
c- cross fade
d- Airplay are only 44.1/16, would you be okay to change LMS config to do transcoding (3 lines in custom_convert.conf)

philippe_44
2016-01-21, 05:47
I have an Apple TV in a bedroom. I sometimes use it as an Airplay device with iPeng and the player add in.

Personally I would say that it isn't worth trying to make it a SqueezeBox in its own right. The CCA route is much more cost effective I would suggest and already has 24/96

I agree with the pricing and audio benefits but main reason I'm going that route is the synchronization capabilities which, for me, is the big missing item with my other bridges.

mikeh49
2016-01-21, 07:56
If Airplay can sync, or be made to sync, that would be a significant benefit. I do not use any of the options you offered. Also, don't need anything other than 44.1/16. I too run LMS on a Pogo E02, and I doubt it has the capacity to transcode.

I do not use Airplay at the moment, but it would be a nice feature.

philippe_44
2016-01-21, 11:48
If Airplay can sync, or be made to sync, that would be a significant benefit. I do not use any of the options you offered. Also, don't need anything other than 44.1/16. I too run LMS on a Pogo E02, and I doubt it has the capacity to transcode.

I do not use Airplay at the moment, but it would be a nice feature.

Yes, synchronization works. In fact, it is very stable, I already have hours of perfect sync. CPU usage is my concern there as these other extra options also take more resources

woodster
2016-01-21, 13:21
Is more power needed than a raspberry pi 2 can deliver?

philippe_44
2016-01-21, 23:04
Is more power needed than a raspberry pi 2 can deliver?

I think it will be totally fine, but I've not checked yet - as usual, I debugging under Windows first ...

On this machine, the (i7 2600) the footprint is invisible, but I have to check for peak load

woodster
2016-01-22, 04:40
I think it will be totally fine, but I've not checked yet - as usual, I debugging under Windows first ...

On this machine, the (i7 2600) the footprint is invisible, but I have to check for peak load

Hi philippe_44,

Sounds very promising.

How does it look regarding a test/beta test - when will a plugin be available?

Martin

philippe_44
2016-01-22, 14:27
Hi philippe_44,

Sounds very promising.

How does it look regarding a test/beta test - when will a plugin be available?

Martin

With a bit of luck, I might be able to release an alpha version over the weekend. I need to do the perl wrapper for LMS integration and a bit of robustness tests (although it will be very early version anyway)

epoch1970
2016-01-23, 05:52
Hi philippe_44,

That would be [b],[c],d for me:
- I like the fade-in/out + smart crossfade combo but I can live without and actually I have stopped using it a while ago when I had a software player in the flock, and never brought it back in use. So quite an optional feature for me.
- Regarding transcode, I am sure willing to edit a cryptic text file. The caution here is that my main server is on a VM, but all the other servers I use infrequently or administer for others are running on embedded targets: Geode LX 800 or ARMv7. While loading the CPU to the gills is no problem on those dedicated machines, they can only do so much.

woodster
2016-01-23, 06:10
With a bit of luck, I might be able to release an alpha version over the weekend. I need to do the perl wrapper for LMS integration and a bit of robustness tests (although it will be very early version anyway)

Super, thumbs up.

How does it compare to the UPnPBridge, what would be the best option for players that support both airplay and upnp?

philippe_44
2016-01-23, 09:00
You will simply see 2 players and you can choose to use both or to disable one

woodster
2016-01-23, 09:48
Yeah, but does one offer advantages over the other. Airplay offer support of sync, but other differences?

philippe_44
2016-01-23, 10:07
The main thing will be sync and gapless, fade, replay gain. For me sync is what I was really missing. UPnP will give you, depending on your player, better than 44.1/16 which I know matters a lot for some. What I also mean by you'll see both players is that you can chose to have one sync with the rest of your system but switched off and listen most of the time on the player using upnp when you want higher quality and simply switch on the AirPlay player (in LMS) when you want to listen to sync - or vice-versa

woodster
2016-01-23, 11:08
Ok.
And then I guess less hassle with the different interpretations of the upnp standard and settings of the UPnPBridge.

GeeJay
2016-01-23, 20:42
Sync is so important to me that I've dismissed all the other commercial alternatives. I would answer 'yes' to all your questions, although cross-fade is more important to me than fade in/out.

philippe_44
2016-01-23, 23:49
Ok.
And then I guess less hassle with the different interpretations of the upnp standard and settings of the UPnPBridge.

Probably, although I'm not sure what to expect with AirPlay device. I'm trying with a Marantz AV, a small JBL OnBeat, ShairPortW and and AirPort express. I hope it is a good enough sample

Sync is so important to me that I've dismissed all the other commercial alternatives. I would answer 'yes' to all your questions, although cross-fade is more important to me than fade in/out.

I finally opted for support of all modes and they are now working

woodster
2016-01-28, 01:53
Probably, although I'm not sure what to expect with AirPlay device. I'm trying with a Marantz AV, a small JBL OnBeat, ShairPortW and and AirPort express. I hope it is a good enough sample

I finally opted for support of all modes and they are now working

Hi philippe_44,

not to rush things, but do you have any eta.... I'm quite curious to test it:)
Martin

adamdea
2016-01-28, 05:57
d

philippe_44
2016-01-28, 08:18
Yes - I did not release last weekend because I wanted to optimize a few things, but the first version is now complete. I'm away this week and could not finish some on my tests. This weekend should be fine

woodster
2016-01-28, 10:00
Yes - I did not release last weekend because I wanted to optimize a few things, but the first version is now complete. I'm away this week and could not finish some on my tests. This weekend should be fine

Looking forward to it... ;)

Martin

philippe_44
2016-01-28, 10:05
Can you remind me what platform you'll be running onto and is it wired or wirelessly connected to your router ?

woodster
2016-01-28, 10:46
I'm running lms on a raspberry pi 2, and it is wired to my router.

My airplay devices are wireless though.

philippe_44
2016-01-28, 11:40
Good - my main concern was the router to LMS connection to avoid too many wifi-based PCM flows

stereoptic
2016-01-28, 11:45
I am confused - how is this different than the shairport plug-in?

philippe_44
2016-01-28, 13:07
This is the other way around. You will be able to use any AirPlay device as if it was a proper LMS player, and you will have sync

philippe_44
2016-01-29, 00:45
I'm running lms on a raspberry pi 2, and it is wired to my router.

My airplay devices are wireless though.

I'm getting there ... I had avoided so far to implement repetition for the RTP missed audio frames (UDP) and it seems it is really required (that surprised me). So, this is done now and my Pi 2B, Wifi only, is now working with 4% CPU and a JBL sync'd with a Boom. I also have a ton of optmizations to the bit-manipulation still to do. A bit of 8% peak at cross-fade between songs.

woodster
2016-01-29, 01:12
I'm getting there ... I had avoided so far to implement repetition for the RTP missed audio frames (UDP) and it seems it is really required (that surprised me). So, this is done now and my Pi 2B, Wifi only, is now working with 4% CPU and a JBL sync'd with a Boom. I also have a ton of optmizations to the bit-manipulation still to do. A bit of 8% peak at cross-fade between songs.

:D

Will it be available later today?