PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac?

shacky
2016-01-15, 14:09
Time for new computer. My old one is going to our son so can't keep for LMS server.

I have ~400 gigs music files. Currently running 750 gb HD on my Inspiron laptop. Thinking if I go with newer PC or Mac with SSD it's time to move my files to EXT wireless or usb drive.

My wife is Mac person. While I'd like to get one platform for the home I keep looking at PC like HP Spectre 360 Bang & Olufsen.

Is there an advantage in terms of LMS and music streaming?

d6jg
2016-01-15, 14:30
Not really. For LMS you'd be better off with a Raspberry Pi and either attached USB or a NAS. Silent and very low power so can be left on permanently.

shacky
2016-01-15, 14:45
I'm a novice. Aren't they difficult to setup/configure?

d6jg
2016-01-15, 14:59
Not at all.
Max2play - entirely web based software. You burn it to a microSD card and stick it into your Pi connect to web browser, connect a USB drive or map a network drive. Done.

DJanGo
2016-01-15, 14:59
I'm a novice. Aren't they difficult to setup/configure?

tbh:
they are "difficult" to setup but you get triple more infos all over the web how to do that than Winblows or OSX.
In fact - lms on a system that has a gui and a guy behind that is not the real deal.
A dedicated lms Server (of course with your libsize) is always the best choice.

Get yourself a Mac, grap your old notebook and run it as a dedicated lms system.
My lms is from 2005, a macmini formfactor clone from (tooo lazy to look) runs fine (under debian)
So your Notebook may be newer but never ever older than my (t)rusty old Pentium M 1.8.

pippin
2016-01-15, 15:19
Be careful with a Pi as a server if you have a somewhat big library. Raspberry Pis have very slow disc access and networking (both running through a crippled USB bus). It's not a problem for streaming but expect scanning your library to take hours!

shacky
2016-01-15, 15:23
my library is all lossless files. Even on my PC laptop it takes 3-4 hours to do a complete rescan.

DJanGo
2016-01-15, 15:38
my library is all lossless files. Even on my PC laptop it takes 3-4 hours to do a complete rescan.

What kind of lms are you running?
7.9?

mine - ok running under debian with 7.9 and 4 gb of Ram - needs 44 mins for ~74k tracks (all mp3 id3v2.3)

shacky
2016-01-15, 16:00

DJanGo
2016-01-15, 16:02

arent you the one with winblows ten and the wlan issue?

kidstypike
2016-01-15, 16:03
Be careful with a Pi as a server if you have a somewhat big library. Raspberry Pis have very slow disc access and networking (both running through a crippled USB bus). It's not a problem for streaming but expect scanning your library to take hours!

I think you're being unfair there, I've just done a clear and rescan on my Raspberry pi LMS with attached USB drive, 21274 tracks in 22.5 mins is about half the time my Win10 LMS with the same library takes.

pippin
2016-01-15, 16:05
Wow, that's quite OK. Took much longer when I last did this. 30k tracks, LMS 7.8.0.

d6jg
2016-01-15, 16:20
Pi 2b is quad core with 2gb ram. It shouldn't struggle too much with scanning.

shacky
2016-01-15, 17:08
Yes. Turns out my wife put the wireless router on top of internet router and it overheated !

alverus
2016-01-18, 12:56
Pi 2b is quad core with 2gb ram. It shouldn't struggle too much with scanning.

That is not right. The RPi 2 has 1 gb of ram. The more powerfull alternative would be a odroid u3 or the odroid xu4. Both got 2gb ram, the first one with a quadcore up to 1,7 GHz, the second one with a octacore up to 2 GHz in big.LITTLE scheme.

d6jg
2016-01-19, 11:19
That is not right. The RPi 2 has 1 gb of ram. The more powerfull alternative would be a odroid u3 or the odroid xu4. Both got 2gb ram, the first one with a quadcore up to 1,7 GHz, the second one with a octacore up to 2 GHz in big.LITTLE scheme.

Apologies. 1gb it is. Still enough for a very capable server.

Pascal Hibon
2016-01-19, 12:26
Apologies. 1gb it is. Still enough for a very capable server.

Yes, and if you create a ramdisk and use the LMS databse files in that drive it gets a whole lot faster! I've done that on a WB and on a BananaPI and the performance increase is quite important. The PI hasn't got the best USB implementation but it is good enough to run as an LMS server, at least the PI 2 is.

hopeful
2016-01-22, 06:09
Have a look at Vortexbox - http://vortexbox.org/about
You can buy a ready to run box or just use any old PC to install it on. Yes, you may need to tinker with it at some point (command-line Linux stuff) but the community is really helpful and most questions have already been answered for other users who are not geeks.

It can do more than just run LMS as well. I have also installed Subsonic which allows me to listen to my music anywhere in the world. I also use the box as a file server; I've installed Tonido which allows access to the files from anywhere. If you want, you can also install Plex on it and use it to serve as a media server for movies too.

Osamede
2016-01-31, 17:39
Time for new computer. My old one is going to our son so can't keep for LMS server.

I have ~400 gigs music files. Currently running 750 gb HD on my Inspiron laptop. Thinking if I go with newer PC or Mac with SSD it's time to move my files to EXT wireless or usb drive.

My wife is Mac person. While I'd like to get one platform for the home I keep looking at PC like HP Spectre 360 Bang & Olufsen.

Is there an advantage in terms of LMS and music streaming?

I'd suggest buying a used 2011 or 2012 mac mini. Put an SSD in one drive bay then get yourself a 1TB 2.5" hard drive in the other. That gets you a quite compact machine that you can put anywhere in your house, even in your living room and you'll not even hear it.

If you have money to burn you could do the same with the 2014 version and a 1TB fusion drive.

If you have to run it over an external drive, I'd suggest doing via Firewire 800 (is more than fast enough for streaming audio) or Thunderbolt, because both can be made to "sleep" and wake properly. USB can be a bit more flaky in my experience.