PDA

View Full Version : WAV files

peterguk
2016-01-13, 17:36
Should WAV files play OK on LMS?

I've only one. I've copied it to my laptop and it plays fine in VLC si i know the file is good.

It shows up fine in the Artist/Album browser, but when i select a track i just get noise, like white noise.

LMS 7.9, Touch and Squeezeplay on laptop.

Mnyb
2016-01-13, 23:25
Yes they should , provided that they are normal 2 channel wav files .

Is this a wav + cue file of some sort ?

It's not one of those with embedded DTS or DD signals , you can do that with wav or flac to get souround but it only works against for example an AV receiver via digital out when the volume is set at 100%

DJanGo
2016-01-14, 00:13
I've copied it to my laptop and it plays fine in VLC si i know the file is good.

Dont TEST any mediafiles with VLC!!!!!

VLC is made to handle corrupt files - if a Files doesnt play with vlc than its rubbish but if its playin that doesnt say anything.

peterguk
2016-01-14, 00:18
Yes they should , provided that they are normal 2 channel wav files .

Is this a wav + cue file of some sort ?

It's not one of those with embedded DTS or DD signals , you can do that with wav or flac to get souround but it only works against for example an AV receiver via digital out when the volume is set at 100%

Hi

It is wha looks like an ordinary WAV plus CUE. Ripped by EAC according to the CUE file.

Mnyb
2016-01-14, 01:25
can you play any WAV file at all or is just this one ?

Greg Erskine
2016-01-14, 02:33
Hi

It is wha looks like an ordinary WAV plus CUE. Ripped by EAC according to the CUE file.

Hi peterguk,

I have been using EAC to rip WAV + CUE for many years. No problems.

In earlier versions of LMS I had to set stream to WAV (default FLAC), but in LMS 7.9 I can stream FLAC.

regards
Greg

Mnyb
2016-01-14, 03:03
Hi peterguk,

I have been using EAC to rip WAV + CUE for many years. No problems.

In earlier versions of LMS I had to set stream to WAV (default FLAC), but in LMS 7.9 I can stream FLAC.

regards
Greg

Thats one aspect if no WAV files are playing one could suspect file types settings OR something is wrong with the transcoding apps like SoX and flac .

So OP . What kind of server and operating system is this ?

peterguk
2016-01-14, 13:13
Thanks for your replies guys.

Right, OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, LMS version is 7.9. Album, tracks and album cover show in LMP web inteface and Squeezeplayer and Touch.

Laptop on which i have a copy of the WAV file for testing is XP. It plays perfectly in VLC, but not Windows Media Player!

File types in web inteface only offers flac/sox option.

Mnyb
2016-01-14, 13:18
Thanks for your replies guys.

Right, OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, LMS version is 7.9. Album, tracks and album cover show in LMP web inteface and Squeezeplayer and Touch.

Laptop on which i have a copy of the WAV file for testing is XP. It plays perfectly in VLC, but not Windows Media Player!

File types in web inteface only offers flac/sox option.

Okay then again do you have any other wav file to test with ? To see if you have a general problem or if it's only this file ?
What is the resolution of the file 16 bit 24 bit ?

What are your actual file types settings for WAV .

If it's a cue + wav file . Do not browse through "music folder" try the artist or album menu ? Does it make a difference ?

peterguk
2016-01-14, 16:26
Okay then again do you have any other wav file to test with ? To see if you have a general problem or if it's only this file ??

I've no other wav files. I'll get one ripped and test.

What is the resolution of the file 16 bit 24 bit ?

16/44

What are your actual file types settings for WAV .?

WAV: Stream Format: FLAC Decoder flac/sox

If it's a cue + wav file . Do not browse through "music folder" try the artist or album menu ? Does it make a difference ?

It is shown correctly in Artist and Album menus.

Mnyb
2016-01-14, 18:06
It is shown correctly in Artist and Album menus.

And you start playback from that menu ? There is a difference on how LMS handle the file . Some versions of LMS has a bug when starting single file + cue from "music folder".

Another idea is to get cuetools and split it to separate tracks and convert them to flac.....

d6jg
2016-01-15, 03:36
Why WAV files ?

FLACs are just as good and much easier to manage. FLACs properly support gapless playback, there isn't any need for a cue sheet, each file can contain the tags it needs to display correctly.

Greg Erskine
2016-01-15, 13:52
Why WAV files ?

FLACs are just as good and much easier to manage. FLACs properly support gapless playback, there isn't any need for a cue sheet, each file can contain the tags it needs to display correctly.

hi d6jg

It's just a matter of preference. ;)

I find 1 WAV + 1 CUE + cover image very easy to manage. Just 3 files per CD. The creation of these files is one of EAC's standard commands.

My brain works at the album or CD level, so this is the "perfect" solution for me.

I understand others work at the track level or want more than just basic tagging, so we are lucky we use LMS which handles everything so well. :D

regards
Greg

reinholdk
2016-01-16, 11:52
hi d6jg

I find 1 WAV + 1 CUE + cover image very easy to manage. Just 3 files per CD. The creation of these files is one of EAC's standard commands.

My brain works at the album or CD level, so this is the "perfect" solution for me.

I understand others work at the track level or want more than just basic tagging, so we are lucky we use LMS which handles everything so well. :D

regards
Greg

Yes, it's great to have choices. I'm also an old-school album guy, but I prefer individual flac files for the album tracks.

garym
2016-01-16, 12:31
hi d6jg

regards
Greg

I agree that options are good. As an aside, your response answers the 1 file + cue question, but one can also do 1 FLAC + CUE + image per album (with EAC as well). Why the WAV vs FLAC?

Greg Erskine
2016-01-16, 12:53
I agree that options are good. As an aside, your response answers the 1 file + cue question, but one can also do 1 FLAC + CUE + image per album (with EAC as well). Why the WAV vs FLAC?

hi garym,

In my case, I was using EAC to backup CDs long before I had any Squeezebox devices. One day I heard about LMS (or whatever it was called back then) and Squeezeplay. I downloaded LMS and pointed it to my ripped CDs. It worked perfectly so I never changed (only had to download the cover art). Over the years I have played with other methods out of interest and I do use flac for my Beatles collection.

regards
Greg

garym
2016-01-16, 12:57
hi garym,

In my case, I was using EAC to backup CDs long before I had any Squeezebox devices. One day I heard about LMS (or whatever it was called back then) and Squeezeplay. I downloaded LMS and pointed it to my ripped CDs. It worked perfectly so I never changed (only had to download the cover art). Over the years I have played with other methods out of interest and I do use flac for my Beatles collection.

regards
Greg

yep, going back far enough in time, WAV was about the only option for lossless CD ripping. Then we got SHN, then FLAC, etc.