PDA

View Full Version : Limiting particular device to a subset of a library

adhawkins
2016-01-13, 13:55
Hi,

My daughter has a Squeezebox Radio in her room, that I initially set up with
the 6 preset buttons pointing to some of her favourite music.

More recently though, she's worked out how to browse the music library and
started listening to other stuff she's found. Now she knows how to do this,
I figured it might be a good idea to limit the music she can choose in this
way. I envisaged being able to point her player to a different music
library, which contained links to specific albums in my main music library
perhaps.

I did look into this a couple of years ago, and found a page on (I think)
the Wiki that detailed how to do this. However, at the time this involved an
awful lot of work, IIRC setting up SQL queries and then making lots of
changes to the menus on a particular device.

I was wondering if any steps have been taken to make this simpler to
configure? I'm currently on v7.8.1, but would consider an upgrade to 7.9 if
it made things easier in this respect.

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks

Andy

mherger
2016-01-13, 15:17
> I was wondering if any steps have been taken to make this simpler to
> configure? I'm currently on v7.8.1, but would consider an upgrade to 7.9 if
> it made things easier in this respect.

I added library views to 7.9 for the exact same reason: I don't want
kids music, my kids want theirs. The UX to build those views isn't
great, as this was supposed to be infrastructure for some 3rd party
development. But oh well...

Install 7.9. Go to the web UI's Advanced Search. Create a search which
would represent your library view. Then you can save the filter criteria
from the bottom of the Adv. Search form.

Once defined you can pick what view to use in My Music / Library Views.

--

Michael

karlek
2016-01-13, 15:20
7.9 is exactly what you're looking for. Not only offers it special library views, based on genre for instance but you can also do a so called advanced search over a couple of tags and last but not least save its result as an own subset as you'd call it. My sons only see their child's stuff, I sorted out my wife's too poppy music and so on.

adhawkins
2016-01-13, 16:29
Ok, thanks.

What criteria can advanced search work with? Ideally I don't want to have to add special tags, most of my music is tagged automatically based on data from MusicBrainz.

Ideally I think I'd like to create her own library directory, linking albums into this directory from the main library.

Is 7.9 a straight upgrade from 7.8 when using the Debian packages?

Thanks for the responses so far.

Andy

karlek
2016-01-13, 16:44
7.9 should be straight, as far as I remember. yes.
To answer your further questions I have to come back tomorrow evening.
Maybe you could tell a bit more about your plans including the tags you have in mind to separate your library. In the meantime I can tell you that I'm pretty sure, it won' t be that complicated like linking files. But we will see. :)

Mnyb
2016-01-13, 23:00
When you create these extra library views they appear in the menu , but it does not prohibit anyone fro using any other library view ? Maybe some nifty reordering of the menus could make it less obvious .

mherger
2016-01-14, 00:19
> please read 'this'
> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103805-How-i-get-the-LibraryDemo-plugin-to-work)

Thanks for link, Jan. But please let the OP try the easy way first...

--

Michael

DJanGo
2016-01-14, 00:44
Thanks for link, Jan. But please let the OP try the easy way first...
--
Michael

ok- just read
Ideally I think I'd like to create her own library directory, linking albums into this directory from the main library. and ignored the
However, at the time this involved an
awful lot of work, IIRC setting up SQL queries

But is there a way from adv. search to limit for paths?

DJanGo
2016-01-14, 00:55
When you create these extra library views they appear in the menu , but it does not prohibit anyone fro using any other library view ? Maybe some nifty reordering of the menus could make it less obvious .

yapp - just change the settings (by unclick the un"wanted" settings) in http://your.lms.ip.adr:9000/settings/index.html?player=your.player.mac.adr

adhawkins
2016-01-14, 06:49
>
Install 7.9. Go to the web UI's Advanced Search. Create a search which
would represent your library view. Then you can save the filter criteria
from the bottom of the Adv. Search form.

Once defined you can pick what view to use in My Music / Library Views.
Ok, I bit the bullet and upgraded to 7.9. Was as painless as I had hoped it would be.

I defined a library view based on an advanced search for a particular artist, and set this as the view for a player. This seems to do what I want. Once I set her player to use a particular library view I can remove the 'Library View' menu from her player which should lock her into her library.

The question now is how best to define this library?

Currently My music folder structure is something like:

/var/spool/music/tagged (the top level of my library)
FLAC
MP3 (these three directories contain the actual music files)
Surround
Playlists (playlist files)

If I were to create a directory called (say) 'restricted' in /var/spool/music/tagged, and inside this directory just create links to the folders containing albums I wanted my daughter to have access to, would this create duplicate albums in my library? Would I see two copies of everything?

What I'd then like to do is create a library view that only shows this 'restricted' directory, and assign this to her player.

I can't see a way of doing this using the Advanced Search, so I suspect I'm into creating my own plugin to define this library (as per the instructions referenced in an earlier post).

Can anyone suggest a good way of making this work? I want all other players to have access to my full library, and only her player to be restricted to the 'restricted' directory content.

Thanks for the help thus far, has been much easier than I feared it might be!

Andy

adhawkins
2016-01-14, 07:11
If I were to create a directory called (say) 'restricted' in /var/spool/music/tagged, and inside this directory just create links to the folders containing albums I wanted my daughter to have access to, would this create duplicate albums in my library? Would I see two copies of everything?
To answer my own question, I just tried this and it does indeed create two copies of the album, one in the main library and one in the restricted directory.

I guess I could create two library views, one that only contains the main library and one that only contains the 'restricted' folder's contents. Will the SB2 include the menu for selecting a library view on the 'new' server (I'm guessing the answer to that is probably 'yes').

Can anyone suggest a better way of organising my library to accomodate this?

Thanks again

Andy

DJanGo
2016-01-14, 08:15
Currently My music folder structure is something like:

/var/spool/music/tagged (the top level of my library)
FLAC
MP3 (these three directories contain the actual music files)
Surround
Playlists (playlist files)

Its not common to use /var/spool/subfolder to store permanent stuff.
Playlist inside the musicroot is also some :rolleyes:

I would move that stuff to another playe the playlist should not live inside the musicroot.

I can't see a way of doing this using the Advanced Search, so I suspect I'm into creating my own plugin to define this library (as per the instructions referenced in an earlier post).

Please answer in the linked thread and you get help.

adhawkins
2016-01-14, 08:42
That's the storage scheme I've always used. It's worked fine for a number of years.

The question was really how I should arrange my music storage to be able to filter based on a particular path. I don't particularly want to have to move a subset of my music files into the 'restricted' directory, as the files are automatically renamed when I rip.

I guess I could follow the approach I suggested above, creating two library views in the plugin, one containing only stuff that is in the 'restricted' directory, and one containing only stuff that is not in the 'restricted' directory.

I should be able to create the plugin following the instructions in the linked thread, I was just trying to solicit ideas as to how other people arrange their music to do this sort of thing.

Thanks

Andy