PDA

View Full Version : Sonicorbiter SE squeezebox replacement + Roon

agillis
2016-01-06, 14:43
Our new Sonicorbiter SE can replace an existing Squeezebox. It runs squeezelite and you can attach a USB DAC to it. So you can use it with your existing VortexBox or microJukebox.

But it does a lot more.

- You can run LMS on it locally if you want.
- It's RoonReady (first player to be certified by Roon Labs) so you can play directly to it from a Roon server
- it can act as a DLNA renderer from servers like jRiver
- It supports NAA from HQplayer

The Sonicorbiter SE is basically the Swiss army knife of network audio players. It supports all popular protocols so you don't have to pick just one.

d6jg
2016-01-06, 15:05
Direct link?

DJanGo
2016-01-06, 15:53
Our new Sonicorbiter SE can replace an existing Squeezebox. It runs squeezelite and you can attach a USB DAC to it. So you can use it with your existing VortexBox or microJukebox.

The Sonicorbiter SE is basically the Swiss army knife of network audio players.

Hmm dont get me wrong but it can replace an existing Squeezebox cause it has a Display?
I "can" attach a USB DAC to it or i have to unless i dont want to use it as a player?

Is the line with the army knife the hint for "some" of the Stuff is made in Switzerland?
And all "your" Userinterfaces are made by?

Why all that Marketingnonse - why not face the facts?
It runs under bla has xyz kb Ram supports UTF-8 charsets from your Files out of the box :confused:

@d6jg (http://microjukebox.com/products/sonicorbiter-se)

d6jg
2016-01-06, 16:08
More detail here - http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonic-Orbiter.html - it has an Optical out as well as USB.
An expensive alternative to a Raspberry Pi based player for those that can't or daren't build a Pi.

kidstypike
2016-01-06, 16:33
More detail here - http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonic-Orbiter.html - it has an Optical out as well as USB.
An expensive alternative to a Raspberry Pi based player for those that can't or daren't build a Pi.

That's a CuBox-i, running Vortexbox? http://solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/cubox-i/

I've got a Cubox-i4 pro, now unused since Squeeze on Arch became unsupported, offers? UK only.

DJanGo
2016-01-06, 17:00

Ahh that explains something..
A Website with a shop without imprint and the sales contact has a @gmail.com:mad:

agillis
2016-01-06, 18:53
I can give you some more info. This is a direct link to the product page.

http://microjukebox.com/products/sonicorbiter-se

DJanGo asked for more specific info. It's made in the US not Switzerland. It's running an iMX6 processor and a custom Linux OS. The hardware is built by SolidRun and looks similar to the CuBox.

It has a much better hardware design then a Raspberry Pi. For example it has a PCIe bus and doesn't just have the Ethernet and other peripherals etc all on a USB hub like the Pi does.

It's also RoonReady certified if you are interested in getting into Roon.

The Sonicorbiter SE has a web interface to configure it. So you can select what player is attached to your DAC.

You can choose

- Squeezelite
- mpd/DLNA
- NAA (HQ player)
- Roon player
- AirPlay

Your correct it doesn't have a screen like the original touch but I just use iPeng. This is a good product if you are looking for plug-and-play player plus the ability to use both legacy protocols like squeezebox and new protocols like RAAT (Roon).

castalla
2016-01-06, 19:00
I can give you some more info. This is a direct link to the product page.

http://microjukebox.com/products/sonicorbiter-se

DJanGo asked for more specific info. It's made in the US not Switzerland. It's running an iMX6 processor and a custom Linux OS. The hardware is built by SolidRun and looks similar to the CuBox.

It has a much better hardware design then a Raspberry Pi. For example it has a PCIe bus and doesn't just have the Ethernet and other peripherals etc all on a USB hub like the Pi does.

It's also RoonReady certified if you are interested in getting into Roon.

The Sonicorbiter SE has a web interface to configure it. So you can select what player is attached to your DAC.

You can choose

- Squeezelite
- mpd/DLNA
- NAA (HQ player)
- Roon player
- AirPlay

Your correct it doesn't have a screen like the original touch but I just use iPeng. This is a good product if you are looking for plug-and-play player plus the ability to use both legacy protocols like squeezebox and new protocols like RAAT (Roon).

Very interesting - but utterly overpriced compared to the alternatives for Squeezebox.)eg. Chromecast audio for 35 usd_

pippin
2016-01-06, 20:09
I think you can't compare that.
ChromeCast is a passive player which requires you to run a lot of emulation on th server side and even then doesn't fully support all Squeezebox features like synchronization with other players.
If you get it to run at all (never had the luck on any of my servers).
This is a device that has a full Squeezebox player on board.

jimzak
2016-01-07, 03:40
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html

cliston
2016-01-07, 22:49
Just get one of these and use Plex or the Squeezebox app. Only $65

Jide Remix Mini 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, True Android Desktop PC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177OAIIK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1ZT21WP2WWNXDWCTFY20&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Android "PC". Hook it up to your stereo and run Plex or the Squeezebox app.

d6jg
2016-01-08, 08:31
Just get one of these and use Plex or the Squeezebox app. Only $65

Jide Remix Mini 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, True Android Desktop PC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177OAIIK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1ZT21WP2WWNXDWCTFY20&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Android "PC". Hook it up to your stereo and run Plex or the Squeezebox app.

Not a lot different to running SB Player on an Amazon Fire TV which is also a compromise - it won't sync and may not be able to play above 24/48. The Chromecast is 24/96 but at present that looks as if it will only sync with another Chromecast.

The Sonic Orbiter's real competitor is a Raspberry Pi with HAT DAC which in UK would cost around 65 in total on a self build basis. Yes the Pi's Ethernet & USB share the same BUS so if that bothers you then the Sonic Orbiter is an option.

NB
In UK Vortexbox.co.uk sell a pre-built Pi player at 125 - http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/NetDAC_High_Quality_Remote_Player/p317978_13340983.aspx

Mnyb
2016-01-08, 10:13
No product is perfect .

+ good support for a lot of things and all this other protocols to , nice and a GUI to manage it all .

- no analog out really ? Was the psu included or not ( for that price it should ) .

Nice to have display and IR support .

I would have preferred and slightly lower price for a digital endpoint , it's a tad expensive but actually not outrageously so ( I'm now comparing to so called high end streamers and servers ).
Hopefully the extra $$$ is in the support for roon,dlna and the rest of the software . Not "audiophile markup" that consumer niche is not very price sensitive ,contrary they get suspicious if it's to cheap :)

I paid similar for my Touch . So it's simply up to the each one what he/she thinks is acceptable price .

In a world where there are not many prebuilt squeezeboxes anymore it is worth considering .
So i bookmark this fo future consideration if I need a digital out only player again .

mdconnelly
2016-01-08, 10:25
The original post stated that you could run LMS on it locally. Is that realistic or more like running LMS on a SB Touch (i.e. technically doable but with great restrictions).

Giza2020
2016-01-08, 11:10
It can be done on a pi2 no problem. .so this thing should cope too

Mnyb
2016-01-08, 11:24
The original post stated that you could run LMS on it locally. Is that realistic or more like running LMS on a SB Touch (i.e. technically doable but with great restrictions).

It can be done on a pi2 no problem. .so this thing should cope too

That is good it would offset the price a bit if a server and player are needed in the same physical location .

touch is woefully underpowered it barely works as server . This thing can then run plugins and the web-UI .

Follow up Q . Is the typical transcoding apps supported if you use it as a server SoX faad and flac and lame ?

Giza2020
2016-01-08, 14:38
Once again the answer from me is the pi2 can do it so I'd expect this to be the case with this more powerful device...but as others have said if all you want is lms and a player then the pi with dac would be more cost effective. ..but this does seem to offer more than that.

I do know that others also have KODI running on their pi2 as well so it really is horses for courses :-)

Mnyb
2016-01-08, 15:15
Yes , but it's good that we have so many options to actually get ourself a player if needed .

A completely fabricated one like this is one option , the form factor is good for hiding away in the hifi rig

cliston
2016-01-08, 21:37
But the Pi2 is too complicated to set up IMO, or at least for someone not that computer savy. Unless something has changed or unless there are some really good detailed instructions. My Pi2 is sitting in my closet unused.

Giza2020
2016-01-09, 00:41
Max2play is very close to a plug in and play solution as it gets.
Put it on an sd card (this the most tech part ) then go to the 192.xxx.x.x UI and install what you want.
You should give it a try...for me wifi was a pain so I stuck with wire.
Loads of support on the thread max2play on this site

d6jg
2016-01-09, 02:26
But the Pi2 is too complicated to set up IMO, or at least for someone not that computer savy. Unless something has changed or unless there are some really good detailed instructions. My Pi2 is sitting in my closet unused.

What is complicated about it? It is just an assembly task.
Picoreplayer is simple.
Max2play is only confusing to choose which image to download.

dsdreamer
2016-01-09, 11:03
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think this is a good thing and I wish it all the success in the world.

I certainly don't think it is excessively priced, considering the quality of the hardware you're getting and broad support of streaming protocols.

I have been using a Cubox-i2ex with a iFi nano iDSD as my bedroom headphone rig for over a year (connected via a power line modem). Once I'd paid for the hardware and for DHL to transport it from Israel to the US, I'd spent $150 on just the 2" cube and its switched-mode power adapter. Then I was on my own to install Debian, Squeezelite and configure Squeezelite to output to my iFi nano DAC (with -D for the DSD support).

The way I look at it, for $300, you're getting a fully configured solution that supports not only Squeezebox streaming, but gives you Roon and HQ Player end-points out of the box as well. Plus, it's a supported product that works out of the box (just add a USB DAC of your choice). I also no longer care about having a display on my streaming boxes, especially not a 4" low resolution display that can't be read across a room and can't be picked up and taken to your chair for browsing. We have tablets for that these days, and thanks to iPeng and the like, they do a much better job.

I have no connection with Small Green Computer or Sonore, and do not stand to benefit financially from sales of their products. I do want to see a successful and sustainable ecosystem grow up around high quality music streaming, though. For that, we need sustainable business models, and healthy (but not obscene) profit margins.

agillis
2016-01-12, 20:49
No product is perfect .

+ good support for a lot of things and all this other protocols to , nice and a GUI to manage it all .

- no analog out really ? Was the psu included or not ( for that price it should ) .

I would have preferred and slightly lower price for a digital endpoint , it's a tad expensive but actually not outrageously so ( I'm now comparing to so called high end streamers and servers ).
Hopefully the extra $$$ is in the support for roon,dlna and the rest of the software . Not "audiophile markup" that consumer niche is not very price sensitive ,contrary they get suspicious if it's to cheap :)

I paid similar for my Touch . So it's simply up to the each one what he/she thinks is acceptable price .

In a world where there are not many prebuilt squeezeboxes anymore it is worth considering .
So i bookmark this fo future consideration if I need a digital out only player again .

This is the cheapest player with all these features available on the market. We built a very high quality full features product so we needed to price accordingly.

We had very little request for an analog output so we saved cost by not putting one on the unit. We do have one for an extra $35

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/VortexBox-USB-to-RCA-cable-DAC-USB-DAC.htm

But at this point most people just want a USB port for their DAC.

agillis
2016-01-12, 20:52

This unit has a dual core 1GZ CPU that is 20x more powerful then the Touch CPU and much more memory. It can run the full LMS + plug-ins with not problem. Only uses about 5% cpu load.

Julf
2016-01-13, 05:11
This unit has a dual core 1GZ CPU that is 20x more powerful then the Touch CPU and much more memory. It can run the full LMS + plug-ins with not problem. Only uses about 5% cpu load.

Doesn't the fact that it only uses 5% cpu imply that it is 20 times too powerful for the purpose? :)

Mnyb
2016-01-13, 06:25

Excellent ! Then the transcoding apps will run fine too.

Mnyb
2016-01-13, 06:27
This is the cheapest player with all these features available on the market. We built a very high quality full features product so we needed to price accordingly.

We had very little request for an analog output so we saved cost by not putting one on the unit. We do have one for an extra $35

Or good old spdif :) many dacs processors and avr uses that .

But a 35$ extra for analog seems reasonable for less demanding zones

agillis
2016-01-14, 13:23
Doesn't the fact that it only uses 5% cpu imply that it is 20 times too powerful for the purpose? :)

No I always leave room for future expansion. Plus if you do re-sampling etc using squeezelite it will use more CPU.

agillis
2016-02-15, 22:43

The Sonicorbiter SE has the power of a desktop PC from a few years ago and a full 1GB or RAM, It can run LMS quickly, and support 1000s of tracks. It can even do a little transcoding if you need it.

alverus
2016-02-19, 14:46
... is nower days not a lot. My cheap Odroid U3 has a 1.7 GHz quadcore arm-cpu and 2 GB of Ram, so by this specification your device is no rocket, but more like a bicycle. But I see the work for making and modding the software. So no offense, just want to point out that the hardware-specs alone are not a big thing.
But for these who don't like to build on their own your baby will be a big deal.

Mnyb
2016-02-22, 21:24

Hello still considering this I'm very critical about everything that I buy for audio , but I eventually buy stuff when I find the acceptable comprise between what I want and what I actually can buy on the market . So don't missunderstand me here .

" most people just want USB port for thier DAC " that must be wrong it's a very narrow segment of the potential market that has gotten this idea into thier heads , this week . Good old spdiff well executed , gets the job done to .

Why only toslink as an alternative why not spdiff coaxial ? Is there an option for this too ? Or hdmi . A wider demographic for the product ? Toslink can be bit hit and miss and somewhat depend on both the products involved , but I'll never go higher than 24/96 anyway and no DSD so ill,guess I'm fine here to .

I can absolutely live with toslink . But I do like options . Heck I could consider paying more for better interoperability it has its own value , you may never know what you will connect in few years time . Same with other hifi equipment don't you hate running out of inputs or things like that ? So I buy this or similar device with as many output options as possible even I currently don't use all .
Hey the USB migth be very handy when my current kit kick the bucket .

But actually I'm a bit more sceptical to the company they make things like SOtM and audiophile music servers ??

But if this Sonic orbiter things is developed without to much voodoo in it I'm fine . I do apriciate good engineering

Yes I know that I have Meridian gear in my signature , they are far from perfect . To be honest the audio gear I want do not exist .

agillis
2016-06-10, 07:23
Hello still considering this I'm very critical about everything that I buy for audio , but I eventually buy stuff when I find the acceptable comprise between what I want and what I actually can buy on the market . So don't missunderstand me here .

" most people just want USB port for thier DAC " that must be wrong it's a very narrow segment of the potential market that has gotten this idea into thier heads , this week . Good old spdiff well executed , gets the job done to .

Why only toslink as an alternative why not spdiff coaxial ? Is there an option for this too ? Or hdmi . A wider demographic for the product ? Toslink can be bit hit and miss and somewhat depend on both the products involved , but I'll never go higher than 24/96 anyway and no DSD so ill,guess I'm fine here to .

I can absolutely live with toslink . But I do like options . Heck I could consider paying more for better interoperability it has its own value , you may never know what you will connect in few years time . Same with other hifi equipment don't you hate running out of inputs or things like that ? So I buy this or similar device with as many output options as possible even I currently don't use all .
Hey the USB migth be very handy when my current kit kick the bucket .

But actually I'm a bit more sceptical to the company they make things like SOtM and audiophile music servers ??

But if this Sonic orbiter things is developed without to much voodoo in it I'm fine . I do apriciate good engineering

Yes I know that I have Meridian gear in my signature , they are far from perfect . To be honest the audio gear I want do not exist .

There are a lot of users who only want USB. We didn't want to add cost to the unit by adding SPDIF optical/COAX, Analog, etc.

There are a lot of users out there who have SPDIF equipment. They just use a USB to SPDIF converter and it works great.

Also check out our new microRrendu. It has even lower electrical noise for even better sound from your DAC.

http://microjukebox.com/products/microrendu

agillis
2016-06-10, 07:28
No product is perfect .

If we added a screen IR etc it would add to the cost. We wanted to keep this cheap. Also we wanted to reduce electrical noise. We find that simple products sound the best.

For a display buy an $80 tablet and run iPeng. It will look and work much better then anything we could add to the product.

We are selling this direct to customs at the lowest price possible. There are a lot of products out there that don't do ans much or sound as good and cost more.

Apesbrain
2016-06-10, 07:50
Also check out our new microRrendu. It has even lower electrical noise for even better sound from your DAC.

http://microjukebox.com/products/microrendu

This being a $700 device (including optional PS) I think it fair to ask what support can you offer for the "even better sound" claim? DBT, measurements, anything?

Thanks for continuing to support the Squeezebox protocols.

audiomuze
2016-06-10, 10:26
This being a $700 device (including optional PS) I think it fair to ask what support can you offer for the "even better sound" claim? DBT, measurements, anything?

Thanks for continuing to support the Squeezebox protocols. IMHO it's opportunistic gouging shamelessly leveraging the work of others. Don't hold your breath waiting for anything tangible, claiming it sounds better is all that's required to reach its target market.

Mnyb
2016-06-10, 21:57
These products goes like hot cakes in the ROON crowd .

They believe all audiophile claims and are used to Meridian and Ayre price levels and are not as pesky as some of us squeezebox user that want such claims substantiated ?

All not broken digital endpoints do sound the same , some may perform better in measurements ,but usually most modern DAC's are so good that you can't measure the difference either .
By measure I mean on the analog output signal that leaves the DAC . Some interfaces has obvuisly lower jitter and noise levels measured on the digital interface .

Claiming " better sound " is not honest IMHO .

garym
2016-06-11, 10:19
These products goes like hot cakes in the ROON crowd .

They believe all audiophile claims and are used to Meridian and Ayre price levels and are not as pesky as some of us squeezebox user that want such claims substantiated ?

Yes, the numerous posts at the Roon forum are almost like a textbook of audiophile myths. I've enjoyed playing with Roon for the "metadata/information" connections it shows regarding my library. And I do appreciate the idea of a company creating brand agnostic music server software that can deal with many different filetypes, different hardware, handle multiroom sync, etc. I haven't actually used it for playback yet except through the soundcard of my office machine at work. But after hanging out here for so long it is offputting to see kinds of comments people at the roon forum make. Many there seem to love "the absolute sound" (all I really needed to know given the bizarre stuff they publish). I don't bother trying to comment on any of this at the roon forum (otherwise I'd be doing this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

audiomuze
2016-06-11, 22:49
If you read those threads not everyone is in that camp (and are of course shouted down/ dismissed by those in the camp) and the developers, thankfully, don't fuel the nut brigade. I suspect many are active on the CA forum in addition to subscribing to tas, and swallow the nonsense wholesale.

Mnyb
2016-06-12, 01:38
There are some relatively sane streamers for the roon ecosystem .

The sonic orbiter SE is actually one of them , but I think there are some raspi based solutions with great value too .
And you can use your squeezeboxes too .

I hope ROON gets more sane when more people uses purpose built "endpoints" streamers or what you want to call it .
Instead of directly coupling the computer to the DAC and all the hair brained tweaking that goes around that

Fizbin
2016-06-12, 16:42
Sane Streamers... Sounds like the name of a punk rock band.

audiomuze
2016-06-13, 11:12
There are some relatively sane streamers for the roon ecosystem .

The sonic orbiter SE is actually one of them , but I think there are some raspi based solutions with great value too .
And you can use your squeezeboxes too .

I hope ROON gets more sane when more people uses purpose built "endpoints" streamers or what you want to call it .
Instead of directly coupling the computer to the DAC and all the hair brained tweaking that goes around thatRoon Bridge can be installed on any armv7 or x64 device (armv8 is on the roadmap) as a Roon Bridge endpoint, so there are many options available. Nevertheless, it won't stop CA type users from chasing rainbows.