PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox and Playlists



Peabody, Rick
2004-12-16, 13:12
Quick question on playlists created within the Slim server interface:

I noticed when I try and load these playlists into my cd burning
software to create an audio compilation that they don't load. I'm pretty
sure this is because they point to hyperlinks as opposed to Windows file
paths. Is there a way to burn playlists created in Slimserver?
Slimserver is installed on separate machine from where the files are
actually located, alhough this doesn't matter because I can burn
playlists the were created in different applications over the network
without a problem.

Thanks much!

Running Slimserver 5.3
Latest firmware I believe
Nero Burning Rom 6.0

kdf
2004-12-16, 13:58
Quoting "Peabody, Rick" <Rick.Peabody (AT) thomson (DOT) com>:

>
>
> Quick question on playlists created within the Slim server interface:
>
> I noticed when I try and load these playlists into my cd burning
> software to create an audio compilation that they don't load. I'm pretty
> sure this is because they point to hyperlinks as opposed to Windows file
> paths. Is there a way to burn playlists created in Slimserver?
> Slimserver is installed on separate machine from where the files are
> actually located, alhough this doesn't matter because I can burn
> playlists the were created in different applications over the network
> without a problem.

The server used custom URLS to reference all its data. This caused the
playlsits to be written out in a format that doesn't merge with other
applications. This problem is fixed in 5.4.0 and onward.

-kdf

Jeff Allison
2004-12-16, 15:19
kdf wrote:

> The server used custom URLS to reference all its data. This caused the
> playlsits to be written out in a format that doesn't merge with other
> applications. This problem is fixed in 5.4.0 and onward.

I'm going to ask a really stupid question. I would figure this out for
myself but for some reason the slim server I'm running on my laptop (the
only machine I have access to at the moment) won't let me save a
playlist. So the stupid question: can I load the playlists I store on
the SlimServer into iTunes? I was laboring under the assumption that
all playlists were kept in a local format; I didn't know there was a
standard.

Thanks.

- Jeff

> -kdf
>

kdf
2004-12-16, 16:11
Quoting Jeff Allison <Jeff.Allison (AT) amate (DOT) us>:

> kdf wrote:
>
> > The server used custom URLS to reference all its data. This caused the
> > playlsits to be written out in a format that doesn't merge with other
> > applications. This problem is fixed in 5.4.0 and onward.
>
> I'm going to ask a really stupid question. I would figure this out for
> myself but for some reason the slim server I'm running on my laptop (the
> only machine I have access to at the moment) won't let me save a
> playlist. So the stupid question: can I load the playlists I store on
> the SlimServer into iTunes? I was laboring under the assumption that
> all playlists were kept in a local format; I didn't know there was a
> standard.

not being able to save a playlist is usually due to the server setting for
playlist dir not being correct, or having defaulted to a directory that doesn't
exist. Sadly, it will be perfectly happy to set the default when you install
and not actually check if its a valid directory.

If you are running server v5.4, iTunes should be happy loading up any playlists
saved from slimserver, but only if they are saved to file. The only way to
directly transfer would be through a plugin using the CLI (I think it does
playlist stuff). If not, there is work on an advanced CLI that would do the
trick. The iTunesUpdater plugin might have that feature too, but I can't say
for sure.
-kdf