PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox and BubbleUpnp

malaugh
2015-12-31, 08:37
I have had a Squeezebox Duet for a few years now. I mainly use it to play music stored on my PC, and occasionally listen to Podcasts and Internet radio. I have two Android devices I use to play music, in addition to the Duet, but I never use whole house audio.

I got a GBox Q Android set top box for Christmas, set up Serviio server on my PC and BubbleUpnp on the GBox so I could stream movies. I scanned the movies and pictures into serviio, but did not scan the music since I never play music on the TV.

Yesterday i was playing around with the GBox and noticed "Logitech Media Server" showed up on the server list on BubbleUpnp. I clicked on it and found that all my music was cataloged the same as in my Squeexebox, and I could click on artists, albums and tracks and play anything on my TV.

Anyone know why this happened? I am thinking that LMS is acting as a DLNA server. Is that true, I thought Upnp was and addon, and I have a stock LMS setup.

I was also thinking of the future, one day my Duet will die, and I cannot buy a replacement. It seems to me that for my use, BubbleUpnp and a Chromecast Audio dongle would give me the same functionality as I currently have, since I can cast from BubbleUpnp on my phone to the Chromecast. Would that be a good solution? Am I missing something?

Any comment wecome.

castalla
2015-12-31, 08:41
I have had a Squeezebox Duet for a few years now. I mainly use it to play music stored on my PC, and occasionally listen to Podcasts and Internet radio. I have two Android devices I use to play music, in addition to the Duet, but I never use whole house audio.

I got a GBox Q Android set top box for Christmas, set up Serviio server on my PC and BubbleUpnp on the GBox so I could stream movies. I scanned the movies and pictures into serviio, but did not scan the music since I never play music on the TV.

Yesterday i was playing around with the GBox and noticed "Logitech Media Server" showed up on the server list on BubbleUpnp. I clicked on it and found that all my music was cataloged the same as in my Squeexebox, and I could click on artists, albums and tracks and play anything on my TV.

Anyone know why this happened? I am thinking that LMS is acting as a DLNA server. Is that true, I thought Upnp was and addon, and I have a stock LMS setup.

I was also thinking of the future, one day my Duet will die, and I cannot buy a replacement. It seems to me that for my use, BubbleUpnp and a Chromecast Audio dongle would give me the same functionality as I currently have, since I can cast from BubbleUpnp on my phone to the Chromecast. Would that be a good solution? Am I missing something?

Any comment wecome.

UPnP/DLNA server is a stock plugin. You can play music files but noting else will play.

d6jg
2015-12-31, 10:41
It's also clunky in that there is not a single DLNA controller that is a patch on the LMS GUI or any of the 3rd party control apps.