PDA

View Full Version : SB Classic blank--anything I can try to revive it?

Guy48065
2015-12-25, 10:06
I haven't been on here in years and OMG a lot has happened...so forgive me for being WAY out of the loop.
Once I got my network up & running (Squeezebox Classic; Squeeze Commander, Squeeze Player apps I was happy as a clam streaming from the internet and accessing my files over my home network.

I wanted to hear some Christmas music this morning but my Classic wouldn't turn on. It's just dark. I rebooted my server & made sure everything else was working by playing to my phone via Player. I unplugged the Classic...tried the hard reboot from the manual...still dark. Got a meter and verified I had 5V from the wall wart.

Is there anything else I can try before having to decide whether to buy/try a used box or finally abandon the Squeezebox platform?

karlek
2015-12-25, 10:58
Can you see/control your classic via LMS or App? Play any music? Maybe Brightness is at the lowest level as happened once here.

Otherwise try the Xilinx-Reset. Switch power off by unplugging the SB, keep 1 pressed on Remote Control, switch on.

Guy48065
2015-12-25, 11:11
Actually I think that has happened to me...but it's been a while. I dint think that's the case this time because my apps can't find the Classic.

karlek
2015-12-25, 11:38
I don't know the hard reset you've tried but maybe the Xilinx-Reset mentioned above may help.

Guy48065
2015-12-25, 18:55
That's the one I tried.

toby10
2015-12-26, 02:30
Try pressing & holding the Brightness button. When plugged in is the optical port red? Try wiggling the power connection on the player.

Long shotes: try a different outlet, open player & remove the WiFi board (requires a Torx T10 driver)

ftlight
2015-12-26, 08:51
If you can't fix it you might consider a Google Chromecast Audio as a low-cost (~$35) and fairly easy to set up replacement. See these threads:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104614
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104383

Guy48065
2015-12-27, 08:58
A friend suggests since Logitech has given up on me I should abandon them. He suggested Plex--but I'd still need to deal with the hardware aspect of it (DAC).

ftlight
2015-12-27, 09:27
Logitech continues to maintain these forums and employ front-line support staff, as well as technical wizard Michael Herger who keeps the server software up to date and participates extensively here. You're having a problem with a seven or eight year old piece of hardware, for which there are several non-Logitech alternatives supported by the community here, and the system is still the most comprehensive and full-featured available anywhere at any price.

Did you look at the Chromecast threads as I suggested?

RonM
2015-12-27, 10:18
If you are interested in a relatively low-change option, there are various devices available on eBay. The Duet is similar to the classic, and there are used for under $100. For more money you can still get a Touch, the most recent device from Logitech. Your existing control strategies will all still work with both. Personally, I'll admit to being reluctant to fiddle with a Chromecast option, although many consider it a great alternative.

tcutting
2015-12-27, 10:33
I haven't been on here in years and OMG a lot has happened...so forgive me for being WAY out of the loop.
Once I got my network up & running (Squeezebox Classic; Squeeze Commander, Squeeze Player apps I was happy as a clam streaming from the internet and accessing my files over my home network.

I wanted to hear some Christmas music this morning but my Classic wouldn't turn on. It's just dark. I rebooted my server & made sure everything else was working by playing to my phone via Player. I unplugged the Classic...tried the hard reboot from the manual...still dark. Got a meter and verified I had 5V from the wall wart.

Is there anything else I can try before having to decide whether to buy/try a used box or finally abandon the Squeezebox platform?

Did you try removing the WiFi card? That's a common failure with the classic.
Also, make sure the power supply provides voltage under load.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Guy48065
2015-12-27, 10:46
Did you try removing the WiFi card? That's a common failure with the classic.
Also, make sure the power supply provides voltage under load.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Does the wifi failure take out the entire unit--display & all? Is there a discussion you can link me to?

tcutting
2015-12-27, 17:51
Does the wifi failure take out the entire unit--display & all? Is there a discussion you can link me to?

I believe the typical symptom is that the Classic will not "boot" - so yes, it takes out the display. Assuming you can open the Classic, the wifi card is removable.
It turns out, the Classic I have does NOT have the card (older version, wifi was an option). Try removing the card, and seeing if the Classic starts up when powered.

I KNOW there are discussions of the issue on this forum, but you'd have to try and search it up.

I believe there has been some attempts at finding compatible replacement cards, but I'm not sure if they've been successful.

By the way, do you use your Classic wireless?

EDIT: here's at least one thread about the issue:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95513-Compatible-WLAN-cards-for-SB3-Boom-Reciever-amp-Transporter

Guy48065
2015-12-27, 20:57
Well I opened it up and removed the wifi card. No boot, no joy.
No Classics currently on eBay.

I'm not sure if substituting a Touch or Duet will satisfy...I originally bought the Classic after seeing it in several suites at a hi-fi show. I'm not sure if the other models have the same magic inside that makes this inexpensive steamer work so well in an audiophile system. ..?

toby10
2015-12-28, 03:22
SB3 is pretty close to the Duet in hardware specs and DAC. Touch would be superior.

Tex
2015-12-28, 09:42
To my old tired ears the Duet sounds as good if not better than the SB3. I like the SB3 because it has a display and works with a IR remote.
I notice you have a Duet remote which would be a great assist to activating a Duet. Still you can find endless threads on the frustrating problems with the Duet so you might avoid.
I have a dedicated server which I find helps the whole system and I have very few problems with my Duet.
But if you can get a Touch it is much better.
I am trying to avoid Sonos but nothing else is on the horizon with the same capabilities as Squeezebox.

bpa
2015-12-28, 10:04
I believe there has been some attempts at finding compatible replacement cards, but I'm not sure if they've been successful.[

New cards are hard to find but second hand replacement cards are very easy to find and very cheap.

see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95513-Compatible-WLAN-cards-for-SB3-Boom-Reciever-amp-Transporter

Guy48065
2015-12-28, 13:34
I guess I'll watch for a Touch at a reasonable price. Good used SB3's cost about the same as a Touch because they're more rare, apparently.

Although my audiophile buddy makes a good case for starting over with a pc-based system that would also do video.

majones
2016-01-06, 08:39
The wall-wart is a common cause of failure, and may deliver 5V when open-circuit (thereby appearing fine) but a reduced voltage under load (hence the SB Classic won't work). There are numerous posts about this. I had this problem just before Christmas, and courtesy of a replacement wall-wart from Amazon my SB3 is back and fully functioning.

Guy48065
2016-01-07, 09:24
The wall-wart is a common cause of failure, and may deliver 5V when open-circuit (thereby appearing fine) but a reduced voltage under load (hence the SB Classic won't work). There are numerous posts about this. I had this problem just before Christmas, and courtesy of a replacement wall-wart from Amazon my SB3 is back and fully functioning.
I found a Touch on eBay for a good price because it was missing the remote. It's now happily streaming tunes in my system. I'll try the Classic (5V/2A) connected to the Touch (5V/3A) before I toss it in the trash.

Guy48065
2016-01-08, 10:49
I'll try the Classic (5V/2A) connected to the Touch (5V/3A) before I toss it in the trash.

Damn. It works. Thanks majones for mentioning it.
I'm a little surprised the spdif output led was nice & bright even though the wall wart must have been too low to power the rest.

Well I'll give it a new home in my basement AV room. I've been wanting to expand my listening options down there, anyways.