View Full Version : Classic and receiver synchronization issues

2015-12-23, 13:20
I'm having problems to synchronize a Classic (wireless connection) and a receiver (wired connection). The music stops and restarts every now and then. Sometimes it restarts every other second. And there's no difference if music is played from local Squeezebox server or from Internet radio stations.

This used to work before. My network is, however, somewhat different. I've added a switch, but nothing more than that. Is there some recommended network setup that works better than others? Are there any requirements on the network?


2015-12-23, 13:22
I've added a switch, but nothing more than that.

And what happens if you remove the switch from the networK?

2015-12-23, 13:38
What is the WiFi signal strength on the WiFi Classic player? Run the Network Diagnostic test on player? Try them un-Sync'd to see if one still has issues?

2015-12-25, 14:08
It's hard to pinpoint the exact circumstances that lead to the problems I have. It's the type of problems that come and go although you haven't made any obvious changes in your setup.

The last two days the players have played in perfect sync and I haven't changed a thing. So, I don't really know where to look. I suppose the best thing to do is making sure I have a stable wired and wireless LAN. So, are there any LAN configurations that are known to cause problems with SB players? What is the best WIFI setup? Only g, g+n etc.? Any problems with mixing wired and wireless connected players?

2015-12-26, 02:39
No issue mixing wired & WiFi, if your network is decent. When playing local files what format is being used? MP3? FLAC? WAV? I'd suggest ripping one album to WAV, set LMS to stream WAV native (no transcoding), see if the players stutter. Full WAV's would be a pretty good stress test, particularly for WiFi.

But if simple internet radio is a problem, that's not good.

Some very basic WiFi tweaks to possibly improve signal strength and reliability

___Router Administration Basics (1-5 require admin access to your router):
1. use a unique SSID name (name of your network/router)
2a. if using a G WiFi: set WiFi to G only (turns off a & b modes)
2b. if using an N WiFi: set to G Compatibility mode (if using G devices)
3. change the broadcast channel to the least used channel near you (see *)
4. select a FIXED ch, do not use the “auto ch switching” on the router
5. choose only channels 1 or 6 or 11
___Physical (location)
6. router and WiFi antenna orientation adjustments can help signal strength
7. try to locate the router as “central” to the home as possible, keeping in mind length & width & height
8. keep router away from other electronic devices (cordless phones, ISP modem, computers)
___Simple Maintenance
9. reboot WiFi router every once in a while (once a month is usually sufficient)

* If your WiFi network card software already gives the ch numbers and the signal strength of all nearby networks, that's all you need. But there are free programs like NetStumbler if needed.

2015-12-26, 02:58
And as always with LMS the server should be wired

2015-12-26, 04:04
Why did you add a switch ?
It sounds like you added something else to the network and this could be clogging the network. Some users found SmartTV (i.e. uPNP enabled) can cause an LMS which has uPNP enabled to start generate packet storms which clog the network.

2016-01-06, 03:52
I got it working now. It turned out that I had a bad ethernet cable to the switch to which the receiver was connected. So this was a network related problem and not a SB one. I hope. Things usually take strange twists.

2016-01-06, 14:12
The first rule of networking = check the cables.
The second rule = check them again!

2016-01-07, 06:49
The first rule of networking = check the cables.
The second rule = check them again!

See, cables *do* make a difference to the sound! :)