PDA

View Full Version : Tagged WAV files: Any way to convert to FLAC, and retain tag info?

Atlantic
2015-12-19, 12:10
I have some WAV files which I have tagged on Linux, using Kid3-QT, and I've discovered that SBS cannot read the tags.

There are several past threads mentioning that WAV files can be tagged but few applications can read them; SBS can read WAV tags if they are in one of the two common formats employed, but I think Kid3-QT has probably used the format SBS cannot read. I'd like to convert the files to flac, not just to save a lot of space, but mainly because flac has a standardised tagging format, which SBS handles fine. I thought I could use Audacity but - unfortunately - Audacity cannot read these tags, either.

I could simply retype the tags, in Audacity, and save as flac, but as there are quite a few files I wondered whether there was any other utility that would both convert the WAV to flac, and retain/insert the tagged info into the flac files.

[SBS is v 7.5, running on Linux.]

Grateful for any suggestions. Regards, Atlantic

Stratmangler
2015-12-19, 12:50
Use Foobar and install flac.exe
If Foobar can read the tags then it will tag stuff automatically on conversion.
If Foobar can't read the tags then you're going to need to rewrite all of the tags, so use Mp3Tag.

garym
2015-12-19, 13:33
If Foobar can't read the tags then you're going to need to rewrite all of the tags, so use Mp3Tag.

dbpoweramp is another suggestion to try for converting to FLAC from WAV and reading/writing tags to FLAC files.

DJanGo
2015-12-19, 13:34

tagged on Linux,

[SBS is v 7.5, running on Linux.]

I dont like (use) Kid3 for something with a Gui i use puddletag and as commandline i'd use eyeD3. So i cant help with your Tagsetup

Whats happen if you using flac with --keep-foreign-metadata ?

Atlantic
2015-12-20, 08:38
Thanks for the suggestions of foobar, dbpoweramp, and mp3tag. I wasn't familiar wih any of those and the versions I found were for Windows. I do have a Windows machine but it's a little easier to reach the files if I use an application on the (Linux) Squeezebox server.

In the end I loaded each WAV file into Audacity, and 'export'ed the audio as flac. At that stage, I could have typed in the 'album' tags just the once, Audacity can save metadata and it can use the saved metadata again on the next file; I didn't do that, but my recommendation now, to anyone else, would be to do that, actually.

What I had done was to export all the WAV tags using kid3's 'export album' feature. That produced a good-looking, highly structured, text file that even a spreadsheet could open and get each tag in the correct field; I was impressed. This is going to be easy, I thought, I'll convert the files to flac in Audacity, and then just use kid3's 'import album' feature to read the tags from its saved text file and insert them into the flac files. Life isn't straightforward, though; this turned out not to work.

In the end, I had the untagged flac files, in the same directory as the tagged WAV files, and then just used kid3 to show the WAV tags, click on 'copy', select the equivalemt flac file, click on 'paste'. I just followed that sequence file by file.

I've noted the utilities puddletag and eyed3, which I think are suggested in a linux context. Neither is on the machine running SBS, and I'll check those out to see if they'll be of help next time.

Thanks very much for all the information,

regards, Atlantic

garym
2015-12-20, 08:48
Thanks for the suggestions of foobar, dbpoweramp, and mp3tag. I wasn't familiar wih any of those and the versions I found were for Windows. I do have a Windows machine but it's a little easier to reach the files if I use an application on the (Linux) Squeezebox server.

In the end I loaded each WAV file into Audacity, and 'export'ed the audio as flac. At that stage, I could have typed in the 'album' tags just the once, Audacity can save metadata and it can use the saved metadata again on the next file; I didn't do that, but my recommendation now, to anyone else, would be to do that, actually.

What I had done was to export all the WAV tags using kid3's 'export album' feature. That produced a good-looking, highly structured, text file that even a spreadsheet could open and get each tag in the correct field; I was impressed. This is going to be easy, I thought, I'll convert the files to flac in Audacity, and then just use kid3's 'import album' feature to read the tags from its saved text file and insert them into the flac files. Life isn't straightforward, though; this turned out not to work.

In the end, I had the untagged flac files, in the same directory as the tagged WAV files, and then just used kid3 to show the WAV tags, click on 'copy', select the equivalemt flac file, click on 'paste'. I just followed that sequence file by file.

I've noted the utilities puddletag and eyed3, which I think are suggested in a linux context. Neither is on the machine running SBS, and I'll check those out to see if they'll be of help next time.

Thanks very much for all the information,

regards, Atlantic

if you have organized data for each WAV track in a spreadsheet format, it is easy to use mp3tag to import this data into tags in the FLAC files in a batch approach. mp3tag is a windows program. edit: haven't used it, but i'm told that puddletag is a linux tagger that runs in linux and is very similar to mp3tag.

bugmenot
2015-12-20, 23:12

I see no reason why this should not work. Since version 3.3, Kid3 has file list context menu items "Export CSV" and "Import CSV", the resulting CSV files contain the paths of the exported files and thus can be used with multiple directories. You could export the WAV tags and then change all the WAV file paths in the exported CSV file to point to the FLAC files. Then you can use "Import CSV" to import the file into the FLAC files.

Atlantic
2015-12-21, 04:54
Since version 3.3, Kid3 has file list context menu items "Export CSV" and "Import CSV", the resulting CSV files contain the paths of the exported files and thus can be used with multiple directories. You could export the WAV tags and then change all the WAV file paths in the exported CSV file to point to the FLAC files. Then you can use "Import CSV" to import the file into the FLAC files.

Oh, that's interesting. That was what I had tried to do, Kid3 gave me the option to export in CSV, and so it did. But - and this what prevented the procedure working - the CSV file did not contain the filenames. So, on importing (by implication, to the flac files), Kid3 didn't know where to put the tags.

On reading your reply, I checked the version we're running; it's Kid3-qt v1.4. Somewhat older than v3.3 that you mention. I'll check the debian repos and see if I can update our version, because what you describe is a useful feature and exactly what we tried to achieve.

Useful post, thanks,

regards, Atlantic