PDA

View Full Version : PiCoreplayer > Dragonfly 1.2 >> insufficient volume?

hybride
2015-12-17, 12:55
Hi all.

I use the latest RPI with Picoreplayer. I have connected a Dragonfly 1.2 USB DAC.

On the headset i hear the music but it's very low volume and the player volume is on 100%?

Doe anyone know how to push the volume?

Corelli45
2015-12-17, 14:52
Hi all.

I use the latest RPI with Picoreplayer. I have connected a Dragonfly 1.2 USB DAC.

On the headset i hear the music but it's very low volume and the player volume is on 100%?

Doe anyone know how to push the volume?

Hi,

You will need to putty into your Pi and add a few lines of script to increase the volume. The script will also retain settings if you reboot your Pi. I had to do it when attaching my Dragonfly to the Touch.

Steve

Corelli45
2015-12-17, 14:58
Hi,

You will need to putty into your Pi and add a few lines of script to increase the volume. The script will also retain settings if you reboot your Pi. I had to do it when attaching my Dragonfly to the Touch.

Steve

This is the script:

amixer -c 1 set PCM 5dB+

Look at pages 192 onwards on the EDO thread. Hopefully this should work for you, but I'm no Linux expert so best of luck.
Steve

hybride
2015-12-18, 08:10
This is the script:

amixer -c 1 set PCM 5dB+

Look at pages 192 onwards on the EDO thread. Hopefully this should work for you, but I'm no Linux expert so best of luck.
Steve

Thx! Unfortunately i can't get it to work with squeezelite.

Can you point me to the above thread plz?

d6jg
2015-12-18, 08:23
Thx! Unfortunately i can't get it to work with squeezelite.

Can you point me to the above thread plz?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

hybride
2015-12-19, 12:38
Tried Max2play, Runeaudio, PiCoreplayer, no sound out of the Dragonfly. Tried to activate the HW mixer in Squeezelite, no result.

The only rpi image that gives sound is Volumio. Volumio works fine.

Got trouble to mount a HDD on my Desktop PC. Finally it worked wit mount flag: ro,sec=ntlmssp

simoh
2015-12-20, 10:17
It's something like this....

Set the volume with alsamixer

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ TERM=xterm-new alsamixer
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ sudo alsactl store
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ sudo filetool.sh -b

Then select ALSA output level > custom in Tweaks.

Simon.

hybride
2015-12-25, 08:50
It's something like this....

Set the volume with alsamixer

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ TERM=xterm-new alsamixer
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ sudo alsactl store
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ sudo filetool.sh -b

Then select ALSA output level > custom in Tweaks.

Simon.

Simon, many thanks!

I executed the code in Squeezelite but still no sound (very soft). It seems that the squeezelite hardware mixer still isn't activated.

What do try next?

DJanGo
2015-12-25, 09:38
Simon, many thanks!

I executed the code in Squeezelite but still no sound (very soft). It seems that the squeezelite hardware mixer still isn't activated.

What do try next?
?
This commands "hints" are for a ssh/terminal session......

Man in a van
2015-12-25, 09:41
Simon, many thanks!

What do try next?

Try this?

SSH into the pi:

User name: tc

Passwd: piCore

Type alsamixer, press enter.

PressF6, select card from drop-down and adjust the volume using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.

Follow these instructions from Steen;

4. Next press escape to go to command prompt

5. Then save the changes to alsas config file by: sudo alsactl store

6. Save this file in piCore in order for it to survive a reboot: sudo filetool.sh -b

In order for piCorePlayer to use this alsa config file after a reboot, you must enable "use custom alsa settings" on the "tweak page" in piCorePlayers web-page

Next reboot - and hopefully it is working for you.

Steen

atb

Ronnie

Edit: also you can try going back to v19l. I have just done this on a hifiberry digi+ which I upgrade in situ to v22 and seemed to lose a lot of volume, also alsamixer did not show the two outputs as before. I went back to 19l and the output volume is the same as a SBTouch into the same DAC.
go figure!:confused:

hybride
2015-12-26, 10:31
Try this?

SSH into the pi:

User name: tc

Passwd: piCore

Type alsamixer, press enter.

PressF6, select card from drop-down and adjust the volume using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.

This worked! THX :)

I have set volume to 100% with F6. Does this assure that the (analog) volume control of the dragonfly is used by changing volume on my mobile? With other words; did this trick activated the hardware mixer control?

DJanGo
2015-12-26, 15:22
With other words; did this trick activated the hardware mixer control?
Hmm you never used a search engine to solve rocket science?

If you didnt have a Hardware Mixer - how you think the mixer can activate that?

Thats not a trick thats using the stuff if supposed to be used.

There is a main control (changed by amixer) and another used by the Software.

hybride
2015-12-30, 11:56
There is a main control (changed by amixer) and another used by the Software.

Ok, thats clear, thx Jan.

Is there a way to use the Alsamixer volume with remote software instead of software volume?

Now i use 'Orange Squeeze' as player on Android Phone and it's volume is software.

Thx all for this great help.

simoh
2015-12-30, 12:38
Perhaps you mean the -V option in Squeezelite?

What was the name of the fader you adjusted in the mixer to change the volume? For my DAC it is 'Digital'

On the Squeezelite settings page add

-V Digital

to the Various Input setting.

hybride
2015-12-30, 13:10
What was the name of the fader you adjusted in the mixer to change the volume? For my DAC it is 'Digital'

The name under the Alsamixer slider is here 'PCM'. If i add -V PCM in various input, The card 0 slider acts on my remote volume! Great. But it's changing card 0 and not card 1, which is my Dragonfly. Is there a way to set this to card 1? On both card's 'PCM' is under the slider.

With the -V, how is the software volume set? I would have it at 100% to have bitperfect transfer to the DAC

Man in a van
2015-12-30, 14:32
The name under the Alsamixer slider is here 'PCM'. If i add -V PCM in various input, The card 0 slider acts on my remote volume! Great. But it's changing card 0 and not card 1, which is my Dragonfly. Is there a way to set this to card 1? On both card's 'PCM' is under the slider.

With the -V, how is the software volume set? I would have it at 100% to have bitperfect transfer to the DAC

I offer this in the spirit of "it might work, or not".

Use at your own risk.

It is from another forum,

Rather than use alsmaixer, you can set the IQAUDIO DAC+ volume level to +0db with this command:

Code:

amixer -c X sset PCM 86% -M

Where X is the "card" number, which may be, 0 or 1, depending on your setup. To decide the number, use this command:

Code:

aplay -l

If the results is this:

Code:

card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []

Then X is 0. Otherwise just use the card number returned by the command.

The thing about piCorePlayer is that it is a different branch of Linux and things might be done differently.

If you continue to have problems, why not ask on the dedicated thread

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97803-piCorePlayer-Squeezelite-on-Microcore-linux-An-embedded-OS-in-RAM-with-Squeezelit

and maybe Steen or Greg will help.

hybride
2015-12-30, 15:49
I offer this in the spirit of "it might work, or not".

Thank you for your help :-) I posted in the thread you mentioned.

The amixer command didn't work out this problem.

DJanGo
2016-01-03, 06:13
what Version and from which source is your squeezelite?

Adrian never releases a Version (his last is 1.7) with -V

hybride
2016-01-03, 06:36
what Version and from which source is your squeezelite?

Adrian never releases a Version (his last is 1.7) with -V

Latest piCorePlayer version (About): Squeezelite v1.8-658, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith.

bpa
2016-01-03, 06:43
Latest piCorePlayer version (About): Squeezelite v1.8-658, Copyright 2012-2015 Adrian Smith.

Ralphy added -V support see4 https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite/commit/cdd4935653e4b6799dd1c1cef8de98d6ad1fdae1

hybride
2016-01-03, 07:06
Ralphy added -V support see4 https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite/commit/cdd4935653e4b6799dd1c1cef8de98d6ad1fdae1

Thanks!

I contacted Ralphy @ https://github.com/contact

DJanGo
2016-01-03, 07:18
Thanks!

I contacted Ralphy @ https://github.com/contact

Some times some things didnt work together.
All my DACS works with the -V option.
Some even supports "some" more than others like Master or Sourround and Center and when i select one - each of them moving up or down in little Steps.

What kind of information do you deliver to Ralphy?
Hopefully at least The vendor and productids from your DAC.

btw: i am just a poor Nerd and i never ever see a phrase like bitperfect in my little Nerdy World the Nerds introduced CRC - "Bitperfect" is just used in the Audioph. World and these Audioph. People always prefer not to change anything other than the Analog Volume on their Amp.

ralphy
2016-01-04, 05:08

Actually Triode implemented the -V option.

https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/source/detail?r=d1848c2fb6e2a77ee56387d7d8786c3f396227e8

I merged it into my solaris and linux oss squeezelite repository.

bpa
2016-01-04, 05:36
Actually Triode implemented the -V option.

https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/source/detail?r=d1848c2fb6e2a77ee56387d7d8786c3f396227e8

I merged it into my solaris and linux oss squeezelite repository.

Sorry - I went by the version no 1.8 assumed and a bit quick off the keyboard.

bpa
2016-01-04, 05:39
hybride,

At first glance, the squeezelite code looks ok using the alsa interface to control mixers.

what is the output on your setup "squeezelite -L " command. THis shoudl ist all the volume control i.e. "mixers" as squeezelite sees them and so would use on the alsa interface..

hybride
2016-01-04, 06:10
Thanks all. I am not so skilled in the command line area.

The setup: RPI > piCore > USB dac (Dragonfly (DF) (ESS9023)).

I should want to use Alsamixer volume with remote. If i open Putty and type 'alsamixer' i see in Alsamixer 2 devices:
Card0 = Internal RPI audio
Card1 = USB dac

With F6 i can choose which slider to move. Works ok for both devices and i can change sound volume on my speakers. Both Cards share the same name under the volume slider: 'PCM'. When adding '-V PCM' in various input, the Alsa volume of Card0 can be controlled ok with remote volume. Works ok. But my wish is to control Card1, DF.

Tried to disabled internal RPI audio. DF is then Card0, but '-V PCM' then reset's the Alsa volume slider to zero when moving remote volume +/-?

Should it be possible to change the slider name or point -V to Card1? Or maybe other things to try.

bpa
2016-01-04, 06:25
You are able to use the command line since you are using command alsamixer. Therefore you should be able to run the command squeezelite just with option -L

edit:

also try the amixer cxommand and copy results.
amixer scontents

hybride
2016-01-04, 09:43
You should be able to run the command squeezelite just with option -L

Also try the amixer cxommand and copy results. Amixer scontents

Did it with internal RPI audio disabled:

With internal RPI audio enabled:

simoh
2016-01-04, 09:56
For piCore

/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf -L

Simon.

hybride
2016-01-04, 10:18
thx;

simoh
2016-01-04, 10:29
That's a capital -L at the end, hybride.

Simon.

And perhaps you need the -o <output device> before the -L
You can see the 'squeezelite command string' on the squeezelite settings page.

DJanGo
2016-01-04, 10:38
Did it with internal RPI audio disabled:

What tells you

amixer sget "PCM"
The Lastline with [something%] is important.
Now open alsamixer and move the Level down to the ground.
Again whats tellin you the amixer command above?
Now Alsamixer and move the level up to the max and use the command above.

The Value inside [%] should changed everytime.

Now Start squeezelite with -V PCM and do exat the same but instead uf using alsamixer to controll the level use the slider in the lmswebgui.
Click only on the loudspeaker Symbols (left)&(right) not in the bar between.

hybride
2016-01-04, 10:48
That's a capital -L at the end, hybride.

oops;

hybride
2016-01-04, 10:55
In the past week i tried some tweaks in piCore to get the Alsa mixer remote volume working. Now i restarted again with a clean image. I discovered that the Alsamixer remote volume only works if i create a asound.conf file in 'advanced overclocking'. Without -V does nothing. Does this info help?

original: -V dont work

-V works on internal audio, but not USB.

hybride
2016-01-04, 11:06
What tells you amixer sget "PCM"[/CODE] The Value inside [%] should changed everytime.

Now Start squeezelite with -V PCM and do exat the same but instead uf using alsamixer to controll the level use the slider in the lmswebgui.
Click only on the loudspeaker Symbols (left)&(right) not in the bar between.

As far as i follow; yes, the value inside % changes when the volume slider changes. Also the Alsa volume works on my speaker when i move it with the arrow keys in putty. Restarting squeezelite then with -V PCM. When touching symbols (left)&(right) on my Android player, the Alsa slider immidiate returns to zero.

DJanGo
2016-01-04, 11:56
As far as i follow; yes, the value inside % changes when the volume slider changes. Also the Alsa volume works on my speaker when i move it with the arrow keys in putty. Restarting squeezelite then with -V PCM. When touching symbols (left)&(right) on my Android player, the Alsa slider immidiate returns to zero.

There are toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many devices involved stuff right now.

No other than you used that DAC, maybe some uses -V on a Android Player maybe there are some People left that uses exact the same Player on their Android a even smaller group may have the same OS on their Phone and so on.

hybride
2016-01-04, 13:42
My view so far;

Its seems not likely to be a remote issue: Alsa remote volume control works flawless with the internal RPI audio with Android Squeeze player.

Its seems not likely to be an issue with this USB dac: Alsa volume control USB DAC works flawless with arrowkeys in putty.

Alsa remote volume & Picore 1.22 only seems to work with generated asound.conf?

Unclear is why the remote function doesn't work properly when USB DAC is default PCM device on RPI?

DJanGo
2016-01-04, 16:51
My view so far;

Its seems not likely to be a remote issue: Alsa remote volume control works flawless with the internal RPI audio with Android Squeeze player.

Its seems not likely to be an issue with this USB dac: Alsa volume control USB DAC works flawless with arrowkeys in putty.

Alsa remote volume & Picore 1.22 only seems to work with generated asound.conf?

Unclear is why the remote function doesn't work properly when USB DAC is default PCM device on RPI?

Did you ask that your supplier manufacturer from your DAC?
Some Stuff (could it be that i already wrote that) didnt work together i have a dac with built in&bold on Volume Control works perfect on my (Wifes occupied) MAC and days ago when i had a Winblows @home.
DAC works perfect on *tux (debian) as well except the integrated Volume - cause of a lacking firmware from the manufacturer.

And (again) why do you wanna mess with -V? Drag the Master up to 85% and use the remote volume for the softwaremixer or use the Poti on your Amp.

Otherwise you may can tell me (on another Thread whats the technical physical and logical background about that "Bitperfect" may i can use that and get rid of that sh*t nonconform crc thats used in the digital World)

DJanGo
2016-01-04, 17:09
thx;
btw: did you check all of them except the /dev/null ???

Where did you get this asound.conf seems to be a bit short......

hybride
2016-01-05, 07:48
btw: did you check all of them except the /dev/null ???

-V act's only (i my setup) if piCore generates a asound.conf, which i posted earlier. With that setup the <output device> field has to stay empty. Examine piCorePlayer for more info.

I prefer analog attentuation and unprocessed, bitperfect transfer of my 16/44.1 musicfiles to my DAC's, which are passive coupled to amplifiers. There are more ways to skin a cat. PM me for in depth considerations.

DJanGo
2016-01-05, 13:56
-V act's only (i my setup) if piCore generates a asound.conf, which i posted earlier. With that setup the <output device> field has to stay empty. Examine piCorePlayer for more info.

I prefer analog attentuation and unprocessed, bitperfect transfer of my 16/44.1 musicfiles to my DAC's, which are passive coupled to amplifiers. There are more ways to skin a cat. PM me for in depth considerations.

Yes you post a screenshot from some text but that .conf looks like more than a startingpoint as something else and in my World some chars are chars and if someone makes a pic out of text thats bitunperfect as hell.

I'd read about your DAC and i'am not very "happy" about my readings - or i never ever would buy such a cheap thing where forums are full of moaning customers cause of lacking support or feedback from the manufacturer.

That Dac should have an integrated AMP and a separate output that (as i read) only can set on and off and is build for Audioph. People.

Hmmm only ON OFF - ring ring ring ring

They "write" that they even have a stronger powersupply over USB than the pre Version (and all such infos that may make sense somewhere) They even have their own USB Protocoll to drive this thing ?!:rolleyes:;):o:cool::eek:
Believe me or not but thats marketingnonsense - or is there any download /cd or volume inside that DAC with a driver and some binarys?

If you want help feel free to write not something but all over this particular setup.
And no i dont need PM cause i do not know everything.

btw: did you see my question above some screenshoot where i asking you did you check all of them except the /dev/null?