PDA

View Full Version : squeezelite

2string1
2015-12-14, 13:41
Can someone explain why you would want squeezelite? The benefits over LMS...

Julf
2015-12-14, 13:50
Can someone explain why you would want squeezelite? The benifits over LMS...

Two totally different things. One is a client, the other a server.

2string1
2015-12-15, 04:11
What is the the difference in having squeezelite as a client and LMS as a server.:o

DJanGo
2015-12-15, 04:17
What is the the difference in having squeezelite as a client and LMS as a server.:o
the same difference between a hammer and a nail.

2string1
2015-12-15, 04:35
the same difference between a hammer and a nail.

That I know...I'm a carpenter... Do you know the difference between a hammer and a nail and hitting your finger?

DJanGo
2015-12-15, 04:44
That I know...I'm a carpenter... Do you know the difference between a hammer and a nail and hitting your finger?
you mean using tools for things they arent made for?

what did you expect?
Can you play vinyl just with your amp and use your speakers as a microphone?

A player plays - a server serves
a waitress waits and the speaker speaks

Julf
2015-12-15, 04:53

A server serves music. So it is where you store and manage your music. A client is a music player - it receives the music stream from the server, and plays it through an amplifier and speaker.

2string1
2015-12-15, 05:34
Isn't LMS a player also

castalla
2015-12-15, 05:43
Isn't LMS a player also

No - that's why you have to choose a player/client from the dropdown on the GUI.

2string1
2015-12-15, 06:03
So what is the advantage in having squeezelite as a player. Can you play higher res files or what? Believe me this is not easy for me to ask these questions! I have 2 choices for players LMS or mysqueezebox.com... I'm using mysqueezebox.com. I have no clue what the difference is.

d6jg
2015-12-15, 06:09
Isn't LMS a player also

No but .... if you enable Local Player Plugin from Triode then it will install an instance of Squeezelite on the machine runnng LMS.

You ask what the benefit of installing squeezelite is .... what are you using to play music now ?

DJanGo
2015-12-15, 06:39
So what is the advantage in having squeezelite as a player. Can you play higher res files or what? Believe me this is not easy for me to ask these questions! I have 2 choices for players LMS or mysqueezebox.com... I'm using mysqueezebox.com. I have no clue what the difference is.

lms ==localfiles and radiostuff /streams
mysqueezebox only radiostuff /streams no own files.

what is the advantage in having squeezelite as a player
add another player thats not a slimdevices logitech device?????

d6jg
2015-12-15, 06:46

Based on this we can assume you have a physical SB player - a Touch or a Radio perhaps ?

LMS & mysqueezebox.com are not players they are "sources".

LMS is local (inside your network) software which allows you to play your own music - mp3 etc - if you point your player at that.
mysqueezebox.com is a cloud based streaming service

Squeezelite is a software player (but doesn't work with mySB.com) - it lets you use your PC (and soundcard) as an additional player. If you have a Touch or Radio you might not want this but some do.

adamdea
2015-12-15, 07:34
I hope this will help.

The standard squeezebox LMS model is that you run LMS on a pc/mac/nas/server somewhere and play music [which may be a local file n your netwrok or an internet radio source or streaming source like spotify] to a squeezebox touch/transporter/squeezebox classic/receiver as a player.

Then using mysqueezebox.com the functionality was added to play your [squeezebox touch/transporter/squeezebox classic/receiver as a player] without having LMS running on your network but taking data direct from mysqueezebox.com using internet radio or spotify (but not your local files).

Squeezelite is a way of turning a PC/MAC/raspberry pi/whatever into a squeezebox player. Just to confuse the issue the squeezelite could be (but does not have to be) on the same machine as LMS.

2string1
2015-12-15, 09:30
So confusing and I feel so stupid. All I know is I can play flacs off my hard drive and internet radio from my Touch I guess thats good enough for me. Would NAS help me in any way?

d6jg
2015-12-15, 09:35
So confusing and I feel so stupid. All I know is I can play flacs off my hard drive and internet radio from my Touch I guess thats good enough for me. Would NAS help me in any way?

So you have a Touch ! and you have installed LMS on a PC (Windows?).
Unless you want to play music directly from the PC you do not need Squeezelite.
A NAS might help you because if you installed LMS on it then you would not need to leave the PC on to listen to your FLAC library - however installing LMS on a NAS is not trivial for a beginner.

Apesbrain
2015-12-15, 09:43
All I know is I can play flacs off my hard drive and internet radio from my Touch...
In your current setup is this "hard drive" inside a PC or is it a portable drive plugged directly into your Touch?

2string1
2015-12-15, 09:57
In your current setup is this "hard drive" inside a PC or is it a portable drive plugged directly into your Touch?

Inside my computer... This is what I have going on...Ethernet from my router to the Touch out S/pdif to a DAC out to my Integraded...

Julf
2015-12-15, 10:18
Inside my computer... This is what I have going on...Ethernet from my router to the Touch out S/pdif to a DAC out to my Integraded...

OK, so you have LMS running on the computer - that is the server. And the Touch is running the client. You only need squeezelite if you want to replace (or complement) the Touch with a computer (a normal desktop PC or a small-form-factor box like Raspberry Pi). Squeezelite basically turns a computer into a player (like the sound part, but not the screen of a Touch).

2string1
2015-12-15, 10:34
So I can cut out the Touch and go directly to my Dac via USB from my computer and use LMS as my server and Squeezelite as my player and still get my internet radio and hard drive? I know it can't be that easy...

Mnyb
2015-12-15, 10:49
So I can cut out the Touch and go directly to my Dac via USB from my computer and use LMS as my server and Squeezelite as my player and still get my internet radio and hard drive? I know it can't be that easy...

Basically "yes" but why ? then you need to have the pc close to the music setup , my server is in my office serving 4 different hardware players and also my desktop computer have squeezelite so when its on i can have music there to .

So I have 5 players .

one of the hardware players is a Touch conected to my meridian HT ( see signature ) .

But you could/should take advantage of the server computer if it has audio outputs , thats an extra zone for free

DJanGo
2015-12-15, 11:01

i strongly not recommend to use your "desktop" as a desktop, lms server and as player!

A touch (and you are "forgive me" a audiophoolish who adds a extra DAC to the touch) doesnt want this.

To solve things like "you got mail" or other rubbish that your desktop pc sound wants to tell you - not over your Hifi - thats a ladder you didnt want to climb.

just my 2 cents

Mnyb
2015-12-15, 11:08
i strongly not recommend to use your "desktop" as a desktop, lms server and as player!

A touch (and you are "forgive me" a audiophoolish who adds a extra DAC to the touch) doesnt want this.

To solve things like "you got mail" or other rubbish that your desktop pc sound wants to tell you - not over your Hifi - thats a ladder you didnt want to climb.

just my 2 cents

And also the return of the hustle to setup the PC for proper soundquality something a Touch does all by itself (what the server is or does has no influence ) .

I have a squeezelite running on my desktop as I said but thats not somekind of hifi just for music when i'm at the PC . I use a pair of ADAM A3X speakers which are quite good , so the setup is not optional but good enough .

2string1
2015-12-15, 11:22
So... I'm wondering is my setup about a good as it can get the way it is set up minus the DAC?

d6jg
2015-12-15, 11:28
Just to confuse the issue further - I use Squeezeplay (as opposed to Squeezelite) on a PC that I use once a week at a remote site. It has a nice pair of USB active speakers attached.

Squeezeplay has a GUI and let's you control what you are playing. Squeezelite is command line and generally controlled via LMS or a smartphone / tablet.

I have a net 2 net VPN set up which allows the remote PC direct connection to my LMS server. I have LMS running headless on an old Dell Server using a Linux distribution designed specifically for the purpose. Vortexbox.

d6jg
2015-12-15, 11:29
So... I'm wondering is my setup about a good as it can get the way it is set up minus the DAC?

The only thing "wrong" with it is that you have to have your main PC switched on to serve music but if you can live with that then fine.

2string1
2015-12-15, 11:50
The only thing "wrong" with it is that you have to have your main PC switched on to serve music but if you can live with that then fine.
Good, because it's on all the time anyways... We use the PC for surfing and Photoshop... I also have a laptop with LMS installed. Thanks everyone for your help. What about NAS? Is that a step up in quality?

castalla
2015-12-15, 11:54
Good, because it's on all the time anyways... We use the PC for surfing and Photoshop... I also have a laptop with LMS installed. Thanks everyone for your help. What about NAS? Is that a step up in quality?

A step up in price. Quality doesn't come into the equation.

Mnyb
2015-12-15, 12:16

Define quality ? the experience ? what kind of NAS it can be worse slower and such . Web UI will look the same , hopefully you noticed the LMS web-UI can be used by any other computer on the same network .
Some NAS with small CPU migth not be able to run transcoding applikation that comes with LMS for helping with radio or fileformats thats your player cant handle by itself .
For example my squeezebox radio does not play 24/96 . LMS transcodes such files to 24/48 that my radio can play (Touch can handle 24/96 ) .

NAS can be small and relatively quiet and use less energy , but if your normal PC is on all the time it migth aswell do the LMS duty in the background too .

Sound quality not at all, all LMS servers are equal . Its in the architechture it is the player that "plays" the music . The server just send data over the network as long as you can keep the players buffer filled your good.
Ethernet (or wifi ) is truly asynchronous with a lot of error corrections and buffers in the system .
So its designed to be server agnostic . The server itself does not need to have working audio or soundcards or anything .

For server i use an old HP mivroserver .

2string1
2015-12-15, 12:32
I think I'm good to go...Thanks All