PDA

View Full Version : Weird networking issue: SB2 v SB3

cliveb
2015-12-07, 06:31
It was my understanding that the SB2 and SB3 had exactly the same internal hardware, so the following is a bit baffling...

I have a wired-only Slim Devices SB2 and a Logitech SB3 (wired & wireless).
They are both connected via ethernet to the same network switch.
The SB2 was in the kitchen, at the end of a fairly long cable.
The SB3 was in my office, close to the switch.
Everything works just fine.

I decided that it would be better to have the SB3 in the kitchen, so swapped them over.
But the SB3 connected in the kitchen (to the same cable that was feeding the SB2 without any issue) keeps rebuffering.
A network cable tester shows that the long cable to the kitchen is just fine. (And replacing it isn't simple - it passes through three walls).

For now I've swapped them back to their original locations and they are both behaving themselves again.

Can anyone think of any reason why an SB3 would have network problems where an SB2 doesn't?

DJanGo
2015-12-07, 08:00
Can anyone think of any reason why an SB3 would have network problems where an SB2 doesn't?

Maybe the SB3 is in wireless mode?
Just plugin a Network Cable doesnt switch from WLan to LAN.

cliveb
2015-12-07, 10:59
Maybe the SB3 is in wireless mode?
Just plugin a Network Cable doesnt switch from WLan to LAN.
That was my first thought, but I checked the router device list and the SB3 is definitely connected wired, not wireless.

<thought>can a dodgy wireless module affect the wired networking performance?</thought>

garym
2015-12-07, 11:21
That was my first thought, but I checked the router device list and the SB3 is definitely connected wired, not wireless.

<thought>can a dodgy wireless module affect the wired networking performance?</thought>

maybe. people have solved problems with SB3 by removing WIFI card even though not using WIFI (I recall)

d6jg
2015-12-08, 03:15
Are there any switches between the router and kitchen? If so reboot them and the router for that matter. They can retain the MAC address of the device in memory and think it is somewhere (port wise) it no longer is.

cliveb
2015-12-08, 03:56
Are there any switches between the router and kitchen? If so reboot them and the router for that matter. They can retain the MAC address of the device in memory and think it is somewhere (port wise) it no longer is.
Yes, there's a switch between the router and the kitchen. But it's also between the router and the office. The SB2 and SB3 are plugged into the same switch. And it isn't that the SB3 won't connect from the kitchen - it boots up and connects to the LMS server, navigates the menus fine. it just keeps rebuffering (but not when it's in the office).

I think I will try removing the wireless card to see if that makes any difference.

d6jg
2015-12-08, 04:19
Reboot the switch anyway. Even if it can connect the packets may not be routing correctly.

cliveb
2015-12-08, 11:31
OK, finally got to the bottom of this.

Tried rebooting the switch - no change.
Tried removing the wireless card - no change.
So I got hold of a long ethernet cable and strung it through the house from the switch to the kitchen - and the SB3 started working fine.

Ah! so it has to be the cable that passes through three walls, thinks I - not looking forward to replacing it.
But not so fast: I swapped the ports in use on the switch and now the SB3 is working fine on the original cable, but not on the long one strung through the house.
So that makes me believe it's a dodgy port on the switch.
I then tried running the SB3 on the dodgy port when it was in the office (ie. close to the switch), expecting it to start rebuffering - but it was fine.

So my conclusion from all this is that maybe the switch has one port that happens to be a bit down on power, and combined with the long cable run to the kitchen makes it a bit borderline. Meanwhile, perhaps the SB3's ethernet receiver is just a bit less sensitive than the SB2's - sample variation could easily explain that - which is why the SB2 never had a problem.

But in the end I now have a working SB3 in the kitchen, and didn't need to replace the cable.

Thanks to all who chipped in with suggestions.

epoch1970
2015-12-09, 12:39
Obviously I am a bit late to the party; but anyways.
For my part I have sometimes witnessed troublesome behaviour from machines (not from an SB3, yet) connected to switches that have "green ethernet" features activated. If your switch is relatively recent you may have those features activated, and perhaps the SB3 does not like it.
Normally you can change the settings for a single port only if you need to.

w3wilkes
2015-12-09, 13:20
A really dumb question... Even though you plugged the SB3 into Ethernet, is it really configured for a wired connection? If the configured connection is wireless for the SB3 that could be why it's buffering in the other location if the wireless signal is weak there. Just plugging it in to a Ethernet cable does not mean it will use the cable, I think it has to be specifically configured for a wired connection.

Mnyb
2015-12-09, 15:59
For my part I have sometimes witnessed troublesome behaviour from machines (not from an SB3, yet) connected to switches that have "green ethernet" features activated. If your switch is relatively recent you may have those features activated, and perhaps the SB3 does not like it.

Some consumer switches are "green" all the time , and they are som simple ( no wlan etc ) that there is no configuration mode , so,you can't change that .

I tend to buy those simple "blue" netgear switches you can get ( usually 8 port ). They are professional ? Whatever they mean by that , but not expensive , ugly metal case rather bright diodes .

The "consumer" models tend to come in more rounded plastic cases with more subdued design , but they have "features"

epoch1970
2015-12-09, 16:30
True, my remark only applies to manageable switches.
(and funnily, it is with a netgear GS-108Tv2 that I recently had compat issues apparently caused by "green ethernet" settings)

cliveb
2015-12-10, 05:26
Thanks for the additional responses:

The switch in question is unlikely to have this "green" feature. It's a really cheap 5-port thing that's several years old - could be as much as 10 years old now.

A really dumb question... Even though you plugged the SB3 into Ethernet, is it really configured for a wired connection? If the configured connection is wireless for the SB3 that could be why it's buffering in the other location if the wireless signal is weak there. Just plugging it in to a Ethernet cable does not mean it will use the cable, I think it has to be specifically configured for a wired connection.
Yes, I know for certain that it is configured for wired ethernet. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I removed the wireless card and it made no difference. I know Squeezeboxes are clever devices, but I think even they can't connect to WiFi without a wireless card installed :-)

Bottom line: I think the most likely explanantion is that one specific port on the switch is a little down on power, and the SB2 happens to be more tolerant of this than the SB3.