PDA

View Full Version : Synology wake up problem could be the end of my LMS journey

Shodan
2015-12-01, 04:29
Hi all.

Recently started with LMS. Like it so far, but ever since using it I have the dreaded waking up bug. Every 30 minutes Squeezebox is waking up my nas. When I reboot hibernation works flawlessly, but as soon as I start using LMS in one way or another I have it waking up my NAS frequently. I disabled almost all plugins including UPNP and all internet services like Live365. I disabled updates etc. But all is futile it seems.

Really thinking to convert to using a simple MPD that does not have this problem. Unless someone still has some "magic trick" that could help me with this problem I'm done with it, too much fuss...

d6jg
2015-12-01, 04:39
Hi all.

Recently started with LMS. Like it so far, but ever since using it I have the dreaded waking up bug. Every 30 minutes Squeezebox is waking up my nas. When I reboot hibernation works flawlessly, but as soon as I start using LMS in one way or another I have it waking up my NAS frequently. I disabled almost all plugins including UPNP and all internet services like Live365. I disabled updates etc. But all is futile it seems.

Really thinking to convert to using a simple MPD that does not have this problem. Unless someone still has some "magic trick" that could help me with this problem I'm done with it, too much fuss...

Version of LMS ?
Synology model ?

DJanGo
2015-12-01, 04:41
Every 30 minutes Squeezebox is waking up my nas.

hmmmmmm
squeezebox? posted under General Discussion?

well yeah the short answer is pretty fast.
dont know what you want cause squeezebox is a very very old Version and what has squeezebox to do with your nas?
I know what could be but i dont know exactly.
Proper question -> proper answer quirky question -> flimsy answer.

pinkdot
2015-12-01, 04:48
Hi all.

... Every 30 minutes Squeezebox is waking up my nas ...
Known 'issue' for years!
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/568
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=83

Sorry, but I'm affraid your problem won't be solved here.

Mnyb
2015-12-01, 05:14
Known 'issue' for years!
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/568
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=83

Sorry, but I'm affraid your problem won't be solved here.

LMS itself behives fine . But be aware of what can cause a wakeupp call . Any fidling with any player interface or remote controll. A web browser trying to reach LMS .

Any app on a phone or tablet . For example if you are in the habbit of never turning off apps on yopur phone such an app can/will send wake up when brougth into focus .

For example depinding on settings iPeng will wake LMS as soon as you launch it ( it has settings for manual WOL if you dont like the automatic stuff ).

Shodan
2015-12-01, 05:15
Sorry for leaving out essential details.

Synology 213j
LMS 7.9.0

Shodan
2015-12-01, 05:21
Sorry, forgot some essential info:

Synology: 213j
LMS: 7.9.0

No apps running. WiFi on phone is turned off. Player is completely shut down. Nothing is calling LMS. It just wakes itself and the NAS up every 30 min. Or 60 min.

pinkdot
2015-12-01, 05:29
Don't get me wrong here. I don't think it's an issue. As you say, LMS behaves fine. But when you use your system like your used to, including nas, lms, boxes and apps, network activity and so on, its common knowledge your nas will stay awake.

Shodan
2015-12-01, 05:39
Don't get me wrong here. I don't think it's an issue. As you say, LMS behaves fine. But when you use your system like your used to, including nas, lms, boxes and apps, network activity and so on, its common knowledge your nas will stay awake.

At night there is no network traffic. All my computers are shutdown and all my phones have WiFi turned off. Prior to using LMS the NAS would sleep. Now if LMS is started right after boot the NAS works ok as well. Only if I have been playing music or something. Even if I shut down the player and also turn the poweroff. LMS keeps the NAS awake every 30 min (sometimes every 60).

So for me yes this is an issue. My NAS is using power while it shouldn't.

Apparently this is how LMS is supposed to behave. If this is true I think I will try a simple MPD player. Was just hoping I'm overlooking something somewhere.

pinkdot
2015-12-01, 06:41
Was just hoping I'm overlooking something somewhere.
Well, for a workaround, you can easily create a start/stop task in DSM's taskmanager :)

Shodan
2015-12-01, 07:43
Well, for a workaround, you can easily create a start/stop task in DSM's taskmanager :)

Can you do that with packages / programs? That sounds interesting. Do you also know if you can start stop using ssh commands?? That would be a great solution. So far I have not been able to find any of this with google. Starting and stopping certain packages using commandline of nas.

Mnyb
2015-12-01, 07:49
If its support WOL from off state thats another solution I use .

My server isaactually off at nigth (and usually the whole workday ) when i WOL it boots .

The only issue is that you have to be patient a couple of minute swhile it boots up .

pinkdot
2015-12-01, 07:55
Can you do that with packages / programs? That sounds interesting. Do you also know if you can start stop using ssh commands?? That would be a great solution. So far I have not been able to find any of this with google. Starting and stopping certain packages using commandline of nas.
Of course you can:

/var/packages/SqueezeCenter/scripts/start-stop-status start
or

/var/packages/SqueezeCenter/scripts/start-stop-status stop

I think the package name is still SqueezeCenter, if not, change it to the name it is now.