PDA

View Full Version : Raspi versus Transporter

pkfox
2015-11-23, 04:35
With all the various threads running on using a Ras Pi with a decent DAC to replace our original devices should they fail - no one has actually voiced a comparison between our original boxes and the myriad of customised Pis - anyone got any bumf on this ?

DJanGo
2015-11-23, 06:18
With all the various threads running on using a Ras Pi with a decent DAC to replace our original devices should they fail - no one has actually voiced a comparison between our original boxes and the myriad of customised Pis - anyone got any bumf on this ?

All real Hardware from Slim/Logitech is better than the Software emulations.

You can change DACs and everything but syncing on a "real" Player is a point where all the Software emulations cant be as good as the real devices.

Btw: Dont worry about a thing -
If you think and wrote about your Transporter will die - someday he will just cause you want him to do so.

pkfox
2015-11-23, 06:47

You can change DACs and everything but syncing on a "real" Player is a point where all the Software emulations cant be as good as the real devices.

Btw: Dont worry about a thing -
If you think and wrote about your Transporter will die - someday he will just cause you want him to do so.

Ha ha I hear you :-) I hope that day never comes.

paulster
2015-11-23, 21:22

If you try a hybrid approach with some physical hardware and some software players then I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, get all your software players on the same platform running Squeezelite and your argument falls down. Sync works perfectly in this instance.

I've replaced all my Logitech hardware with software solutions now, with asynchronous USB connection to my different DACS and my systems have never sounded better.

pkfox
2015-11-24, 00:04
If you try a hybrid approach with some physical hardware and some software players then I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, get all your software players on the same platform running Squeezelite and your argument falls down. Sync works perfectly in this instance.

I've replaced all my Logitech hardware with software solutions now, with asynchronous USB connection to my different DACS and my systems have never sounded better.

I only use one player so synching is not a problem - do you have any Ras pis in your setup ?

paulster
2015-11-24, 00:13
I only use one player so synching is not a problem - do you have any Ras pis in your setup ?

I do, but it's the one player I never sync because I use it with a Bluetooth transmitter for my boombox solution, and there's no hope of getting sync to work with Bluetooth because of the buffer in the connected player. All of my other players connected to 'proper' hifi gear use a different Arm platform, and I often sync two or three of these around the house.

pkfox
2015-11-24, 00:38
I do, but it's the one player I never sync because I use it with a Bluetooth transmitter for my boombox solution, and there's no hope of getting sync to work with Bluetooth because of the buffer in the connected player. All of my other players connected to 'proper' hifi gear use a different Arm platform, and I often sync two or three of these around the house.

What other players do you have ?

epoch1970
2015-11-24, 02:28
However, get all your software players on the same platform running Squeezelite and your argument falls down. Sync works perfectly in this instance.
Perfectly as in:
- seamless sync of 2 sources 10 ft apart in the same room ?
- after a player rebuffering event, all players recover at the same moment and restart in sync, no need to stop and restart the group ?

I'm asking because (some time ago, arguably) these are the issues that stopped me from deploying software players (linux RT + squeezelite). My SB3s were simply working better and more reliably.

pkfox
2015-11-24, 02:49
Perfectly as in:
- after a player rebuffering event, all players recover at the same moment and restart in sync, no need to stop and restart the group ?

I'm asking because (some time ago, arguably) these are the issues that stopped me from deploying software players (linux RT + squeezelite). My SB3s were simply working better and more reliably.

Hi there I tried it a few years back to but with the new Pi it's much more capable

paulster
2015-11-24, 10:41
What other players do you have ?

I use a sadly-discontinued PogoPlug, running a realtime kernel and a trimmed down Debian distribution. I like that they have the power supply built in and a hub that means you don't have any connection issues with certain DACS. They are easier to deploy than the RPis, and I have enough of them to last me a lifetime.

Perfectly as in:

Yes, to the seamless sync. I've never had a rebuffering event that has caused me a problem since I run everything cabled, so I can't comment. I do often have three players synced when I'm doing stuff around the house at the weekend and don't run into any echo or drift issues when I'm between rooms and can clearly hear more than one system at the same time. And the sync works perfectly with high res audio as well.

epoch1970
2015-11-24, 14:48
Yes, to the seamless sync. I've never had a rebuffering event that has caused me a problem since I run everything cabled, ...
Aha, that's interesting.
I only conducted sync tests between an SB3 and an AMD Geode machine; it was good, but not quite good enough for 2 sources in the same room. I guess I'll have to shell the money for a couple of RPis, and see how a homogeneous group behave.
(And rebuffering occurred easily in my tests since LMS was also on the Geode, and the SB3 in the group forced resampling of high-res songs...)