PDA

View Full Version : Transporter outputs

pkfox
2015-11-23, 04:22
What are the preferred outputs to use on the the TP for feeding my Meridian amplifier ( 551 ) ? I've always used the RCA analogs which seem to be fine but I was bored yesterday and started wondering about the XLR outputs are there any benefits to using one or the other ?

Apesbrain
2015-11-23, 05:46
Meridian 551 has XLR inputs?

http://oi57.tinypic.com/11radl3.jpg

pkfox
2015-11-23, 05:53
Meridian 551 has XLR inputs?

http://oi57.tinypic.com/11radl3.jpg

It doesn't have XLR inputs as you can see but I was just wondering if the XLR outputs on the TP were superior to the RCA's and I could use an adapter to feed them to the 551 - as I said I was bored :-)

Apesbrain
2015-11-23, 06:17
I wouldn't worry about this. Balanced (XLR) cables are preferable for long runs where the potential for RF interference to be introduced via the cable is high. The "balanced" aspect means it has the ability to cancel out noise. For a short run there is no advantage. And when you use an XLR-RCA adapter you negate that ability anyway.

If you have time on your hands, do some experimentation with your other question: feed the digital out from a Transporter and a RPi to the same DAC and see if you can hear any difference. Get a friend to do the switching so it's at least "single-blind". Let us know what you find.

pkfox
2015-11-23, 06:46
I wouldn't worry about this. Balanced (XLR) cables are preferable for long runs where the potential for RF interference to be introduced via the cable is high. The "balanced" aspect means it has the ability to cancel out noise. For a short run there is no advantage. And when you use an XLR-RCA adapter you negate that ability anyway.

If you have time on your hands, do some experimentation with your other question: feed the digital out from a Transporter and a RPi to the same DAC and see if you can hear any difference. Get a friend to do the switching so it's at least "single-blind". Let us know what you find.

Hi and thanks for your answer, I use the TPs DAC so can't conduct a test with a seperate DAC , and when I receive my Hifiberry DAC pro for the Pi I will run it directly to my amp so I suppose I could conduct a test by switching the inputs from the pi and the TP - currently I'm waiting for the Hifiberry DAC to arrive from Switzerland - will keep you posted - thanks again

Julf
2015-11-25, 10:12
Hi and thanks for your answer, I use the TPs DAC so can't conduct a test with a seperate DAC , and when I receive my Hifiberry DAC pro for the Pi I will run it directly to my amp so I suppose I could conduct a test by switching the inputs from the pi and the TP - currently I'm waiting for the Hifiberry DAC to arrive from Switzerland - will keep you posted - thanks again

The point is that the only benefit from a balanced connection comes from having a fully differential, balanced *input* on your amp. If your amp only has unbalanced RCA inputs, a converter cable won't magically make it differential/balanced, and there won't be any benefit - it won't matter if you use unbalanced (RCA) or balanced (XLR) connectors on your *source*.