PDA

View Full Version : New User - Advice Please Duet and Touch

peterguk
2015-10-18, 12:04
Hi Everyone

Prospective new user here and some basic questions.

OK, done lots of reading up, but need some basics sorting please.

Currently rebuilding my main room including hiding all cables etc.

Currently have a Cyrus hi-fi setup and am looking at ripping my CD collection.

Quite capable of building a server to hold the music files so no problem there. House is already Cat6 hard-wired with domain server in the loftspace, so no issues with cabling.

First question: Apart from the aesthetics, what are the differences between the Touch and the Duet? The Duet would suit my setup better in terms of the small black box, but are there any function and/or performance differences?

Thanks in advance.

Man in a van
2015-10-18, 12:30
Hi Everyone

Prospective new user here and some basic questions.

OK, done lots of reading up, but need some basics sorting please.

Currently rebuilding my main room including hiding all cables etc.

Currently have a Cyrus hi-fi setup and am looking at ripping my CD collection.

Quite capable of building a server to hold the music files so no problem there. House is already Cat6 hard-wired with domain server in the loftspace, so no issues with cabling.

First question: Apart from the aesthetics, what are the differences between the Touch and the Duet? The Duet would suit my setup better in terms of the small black box, but are there any function and/or performance differences?

Thanks in advance.

Read a bit more, then go Touch (or raspberry pi2)

Pi is most likely better (just have to learn a bit, decide exactly what you want to do)

atb

Ronnie

Peter, forgive my poor manners:o; welcome to the forum:p, (rpi2 with hifiberry digi+ into your DAC?).

garym
2015-10-18, 13:10
duet is a bit more troublesome to setup, particularly without the CONTROLLER. There are other ways to set up with software, but again, just a bit more troublesome. TOUCH has a screen and is easy to setup. TOUCH handles up to 24/96 by default. Duet is 24/48 max. But if playing ripped CDs, these are all 16/44.1 in any case. Of course both are discontinued.

peterguk
2015-10-18, 14:02
Thanks guys.

Not sure i want to get into learning a new operating system (although i may have to - see lower down).

So a Touch it is - i can now get on fleabay and find one..

HP Microserver should do for my server.

OS for server - i have XP and 7 i can install. Any advantages to installing a Linux based OS? (bearing in mind i am a total Linux virgin).

Music will be ripped to flac files.

DJanGo
2015-10-18, 14:18
Thanks guys.

Not sure i want to get into learning a new operating system (although i may have to - see lower down).

So a Touch it is - i can now get on fleabay and find one...
Or try some other a RPI with the rpi Touchscreen and some DAC (newer better supported and has guarantee also - nothing from egay)

HP Microserver should do for my server.yapp

OS for server - i have XP and 7 i can install. Any advantages to installing a Linux based OS? (bearing in mind i am a total Linux virgin).

please not xp anymore
7 is fine but *ux is kind of better

(bearing in mind i am a total Linux virgin)
A Nice Virgin is welcome every time if the virgin want to learn something.
If you go the rpi way (recommended) you had to learn that smal portion of tux:cool:

edit

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104222-Squeezebox-Touch-functionality-and-Kodi-the-All-In-One-Mediaplayer-with-Max2Play&highlight=raspberry+touchscreen

/edit

garym
2015-10-18, 14:26
HP Microserver should do for my server.

Music will be ripped to flac files.

A stable server with good network connection is key, but otherwise any flavor of OS will run LMS just fine. I've used on windows and linux servers.

RSJ
2015-10-19, 02:47
I can't say enough about rpi running Max2play. A LMS and a player all in one and then with a HifiBerry amp or DAC you have the perfect setup. Oh and cost, cheap. Gotta love it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Mnyb
2015-10-19, 12:01
I use an hp micro server for my 4-5 players , you can get the hardware cheap and it has room for several hard drives .

Run whatever OS you feel comfortable with .

However the Linux route makes it possible to run OS without desktop or GUI , this makes for a very lean system .
You can have an admin web UI beside the web UI LMS provides you with , you may have to learn a few Linux commands , in practice not that many . There are several pre packed ones like vortexbox and max2play who are niched at LMS users .

However a recent hp server with more memory than mine should run Windows too .

Jeff07971
2015-10-19, 12:08
I use an hp micro server for my 4-5 players , you can get the hardware cheap and it has room for several hard drives .

Run whatever OS you feel comfortable with .

However the Linux route makes it possible to run OS without desktop or GUI , this makes for a very lean system .
You can have an admin web UI beside the web UI LMS provides you with , you may have to learn a few Linux commands , in practice not that many . There are several pre packed ones like vortexbox and max2play who are niched at LMS users .

However a recent hp server with more memory than mine should run Windows too .

I run an N54L Microserver with 6.0 TB HDD and 16GB RAM running VMware ESXi
Under ESXi I run 5 virtual machine's
Vmware assistant
Sophos UTM x 2
Linux server (Centos 7) running LMS running 9 players
Windows 7 (virtual) Desktop

You'll have no trouble running LMS on that machine alone !

+1 for linux though my 2c's

Jeff07971
2015-10-19, 13:29
I run an N54L Microserver with 6.0 TB HDD and 16GB RAM running VMware ESXi
Under ESXi I run 5 virtual machine's
Vmware assistant
Sophos UTM x 2
Linux server (Centos 7) running LMS running 9 players
Windows 7 (virtual) Desktop

You'll have no trouble running LMS on that machine alone !

+1 for linux though my 2c's

I actually wondered how much power LMS took so I took some graphs from VMware. At around 21.17 I started 9 Players all playing different 1Mb/s FLAC files the results are below.

The machine use is tiny really.

Mnyb
2015-10-19, 13:57
Yes , it's the scanning or transcoding or image scaling that could use som CPU/memory , playing don't do much if it's a native format . But with your server I suppose non native formats would not be an issue .

Wonder how it fares with 9 Alacc streams :)

My impression is also that the server if to slow have an impact on the responsiveness of the various UI's .

Virtual machines may be overkill , but if you have that skill set and software , I suppose it's actually easier . I suppose it makes future server hardware upgrades pain free just move the virtual machines no settings or scanning to fudge with afterwards .

But on topic with recent hp micro or even the PI2 or a modern NAS I don't think it's a problem , if OP wants to setup some win7 that would work to but not XP anymore it's to old an unsafe .

Maybe the days of inadequate hardware is gone , in the past many users have used very limited NAS boxes to make slow servers .

Jeff07971
2015-10-19, 14:03
Yes , it's the scanning or transcoding or image scaling that could use som CPU/memory , playing don't do much if it's a native format . But with your server I suppose non native formats would not be an issue .

Wonder how it fares with 9 Alacc streams :)

My impression is also that the server if to slow have an impact on the responsiveness of the various UI's .

Virtual machines may be overkill , but if you have that skill set and software , I suppose it's actually easier . I suppose it makes future server hardware upgrades pain free just move the virtual machines no settings or scanning to fudge with afterwards .

But on topic with recent hp micro or even the PI2 or a modern NAS I don't think it's a problem , if OP wants to setup some win7 that would work to but not XP anymore it's to old an unsafe .

Maybe the days of inadequate hardware is gone , in the past many users have used very limited NAS boxes to make slow servers .

Yeah I agree VMware + Linux VM's would be a steep learning curve.
I wasn't suggesting he try that, unless its something he wants to learn !
Was just really demonstrating that you don't really need much hardware these days.
Funny you should mention ALAC's I was messing around with one today - 1 stream 4.9 Mb/s ! That might tax things a bit !

justauby
2015-10-20, 05:32
Hey Peter, if your interested in selling my Squeezebox Touch for $210 + shipping. It's in great condition, 8/10. Minor blemishes on screen that u can only see when it off. Works like a champ.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

stop-spinning
2015-11-16, 02:28
I can't say enough about rpi running Max2play. A LMS and a player all in one and then with a HifiBerry amp or DAC you have the perfect setup. Oh and cost, cheap. Gotta love it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

This looks interesting! I have a post titled 'Resurrecting my Squeezebox Touch', but while I was here on this forum I came across this great idea of a HifiBerry amp which I never knew existed - digital all the way through the amplification stage and cheap too. My only concern of course would be ultimate sound quality, but at least this is a decent idea for a very small system albeit perhaps not the best sounding.

What loudspeakers do you use with 25 Watts worth of amplification? Anything hi-end or just something cheap and simple to match the system?

Julf
2015-11-16, 07:41
while I was here on this forum I came across this great idea of a HifiBerry amp which I never knew existed - digital all the way through the amplification stage and cheap too.

The HiFiBerry Amp+ is class D, but not digital all the way through. It has a built-in DAC and an analog class D amplifier.