PDA

View Full Version : DEAD SB2, does anyone repair?

BJW
2015-10-16, 13:17
i have a pre-logitech slim devices SB2, and it really doesn't have many hours on it, but it died anyway. went from 100% fine to totally dead, no signs of life. seems to have happened while not being used, (but plugged in).

i have no idea what failed, i'd guess tho either the power supply or some capacitor.

in any case, does anyone repair these things? how much $?

thx.

Greg Erskine
2015-10-16, 13:27
i have a pre-logitech slim devices SB2, and it really doesn't have many hours on it, but it died anyway. went from 100% fine to totally dead, no signs of life. seems to have happened while not being used, (but plugged in).

i have no idea what failed, i'd guess tho either the power supply or some capacitor.

thx.

Hi BJW,

I think it will cost $76.45 :D

regards

BJW
2015-10-16, 13:36
sounds good!

ugh, death is such a hard part of life. ;)

tcutting
2015-10-16, 13:44

thx.

Do you have a way to check the power supply?
I don't recall with the SB2's, but are there wireless versions? If so, is this one? I know the SB3/Classics can have wifi card failures which make the unit appear dead, but will come to life with the wifi card removed (of course, then you must use wired, or try to replace the wifi card).

bpa
2015-10-16, 14:05
Is the a red light in the optical connection ?

If not then the PSU is definitly dead and a new PSU would worth checking.

If it is a Wireless SB2 and there is a red light - you could try removing thre WLAn card as a faulty WLAN card stops SB3/SB3 etc. from working.

BJW
2015-10-16, 17:57
no light in the optical, so maybe it is just the power supply.

does logitech still sell them? where can i get a replacement to try? (i assume it isn't a good idea to try my duets, if it even fits)

garym
2015-10-16, 18:04
no light in the optical, so maybe it is just the power supply.

does logitech still sell them? where can i get a replacement to try? (i assume it isn't a good idea to try my duets, if it even fits)

Logitech hasn't sold any Squeezebox products for I think 2 or more years. What do you mean by "try my duets". If you have a duet receiver it will do anyti9ng a SB2 could do, and more....

BJW
2015-10-16, 18:11
i meant try my duets power supply. i haven't looked to see if thats even possible or not.

if logitech isn't selling replacement power supplys, where can i get one?

garym
2015-10-16, 18:15
i meant try my duets power supply. i haven't looked to see if thats even possible or not.

if logitech isn't selling replacement power supplys, where can i get one?

lots of replacement powersupplys on amazon.com. just google "power supply squeezebox sb2" and you'll get a lot of hits. if you get the right power rating and postive/negative post, it will work.

RonM
2015-10-16, 18:58
I think this would work. Right connector size, right voltage, center positive, more milliamps than original. Cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/100-240V-Supply-Charger-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00SAIR9XK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1445046867&sr=8-11&keywords=AC+100-240V+to+DC+5V+2A+Power+Supply+Charger+Converter+Ad apter+5.5mm

Mnyb
2015-10-17, 00:37
The duet power supply is the wrong voltage , but the Squeezebox Touch power supply works . It works on SB3 and afaik SB2/3 is the same machine just different exterior

bpa
2015-10-17, 03:43
IIRC Touch and SB3/2 PSU have same spec. If you are in the US Squeezebox Touch psu is listed here for $20 under Ac Adapters. Touch PSU is
http://support.logitech.com/parts

wortgefecht
2015-10-17, 08:22
Yes, my PSU for my Classic died recently and according to Michael here in the German section, Touch and Classic have the same PSU. Logitech sells them here in Switzerland, too.

BJW
2015-10-19, 02:45
thx all, i will order a PSU eventually and report back.

chamonix
2015-10-19, 07:50
I have two Squeezebox 2s. Recently I noticed one of them has no audio output in one channel. I tried both the headphone jack, and then the RCA outputs. Dead. (well there is a very faint audio coming over the dead channel)
I am not an electronics guru. Wondered where I can send this unit for repair.? Would it be a power supply?

No idea where to start. I think this is an SB2 see picturehttps://farm6.staticflickr.com/5677/22118450098_78e0cb4d09_n.jpghttps://farm1.staticflickr.com/615/21685377713_beb8f179e9_n.jpg
Thanks
(send me a pm or email if you know a good tech/shop to fix this)

toby10
2015-10-19, 08:58
No one repairs them. Tried swapping PSU's (though unlikely to fix issue)?

Maybe try XILINX Reset:
Unplug power, press and hold down the one (1) button on the remote, plug power back in (whilst continuing to hold down the one button)

bpa
2015-10-19, 09:13
I have two Squeezebox 2s.

it is an SB3 or Classic - SB2 is more horizontal. There is no official repair facility but if all works except one of the audio channels - I suspect a good hifi / electronic repair service might be able diagnose the problem.

I think others have had a one channel failure before (can't remember if it was Sb2/3) and it often turns out to be a capacitor failure - search the forum for other posts.

chamonix
2015-10-19, 09:23
toby10
I don't want to brick the unit. Is this "reset" safe to do? Or does it just re-connect to my network. Re-connecting to www.squeezenetwork.com may not work.

bpa,
thanks for the suggestion. I might try that, though I don't want to have to reconfigure the SB 3..after a full reset.

I will see about a local hi-end ($$$) audio repair facility

bpa
2015-10-19, 13:00
toby10
I don't want to brick the unit. Is this "reset" safe to do? Or does it just re-connect to my network. Re-connecting to www.squeezenetwork.com may not work.

bpa,
thanks for the suggestion. I might try that, though I don't want to have to reconfigure the SB 3..after a full reset.

I will see about a local hi-end ($$$) audio repair facility

Xilinkx reset will reset all paramters but SB3 have flashable "hardware" which sometimes gets faulty - Xlinx reset reprogram back to what it should be.

Reconfiguring a clean Sb3 is not difficult (usually only WPA password) and is a very small price to pay to get the SB3 working again.

Mnyb
2015-10-19, 14:38
Xilinkx reset will reset all paramters but SB3 have flashable "hardware" which sometimes gets faulty - Xlinx reset reprogram back to what it should be.

Reconfiguring a clean Sb3 is not difficult (usually only WPA password) and is a very small price to pay to get the SB3 working again.

The Xilinx reset onlynresetsnthe audio chip I don't think you have to setup anything however not even a full factory reset is hard recover from as with the old players most settings reside on the server anyway :) it usually just the network as you say .

But I'm also thinking output capacitor , there are several old treads about it with pictures .

When you need to do the Xilinx reset it's usually completely quit or in rare cases sound horribly distorted .

Op may also try the digital outputs , they should be fine .

chamonix
2015-10-19, 19:57
Mnyb wrote
Op may also try the digital outputs , they should be fine .

That's a good idea. I have an amp that has digital inputs. Something to try, though I will need the right cables. Thanks.

toby10
2015-10-20, 01:25
If yout amp supports digital coax just use one of the analog rca's currently plugged into SB3.

chamonix
2015-10-20, 13:46
If yout amp supports digital coax just use one of the analog rca's currently plugged into SB3.

Tried that (I think). Only got audio, out of the Amp in one channel. The Amp I'm going to try now has TOSlink inputs so I ordered a TOSlink cable. We'll see what happens.

toby10
2015-10-21, 00:54
If your digital out also only sends one channel then your player is toast and the likelihood of this happening is probably a million to one.
Sure you actually tried it? Digital Coax is ONE single RCA cable using the orange RCA outs/inputs.

Try swapping L/R analog RCA's into amp? Problem now switch channels? Or is same channel dead (which means your amp is the issue, which would make sense based on your digital coax information above)?

chamonix
2015-10-21, 17:13
toby 10
Thanks for the follow up
I haven't received my TOSlink cable yet. I should have it tomorrow. I did take a regular RCA plug and connect it from the orange single plug at the back of my SB3 , then into the plug marked COAXIAL IN (CD) on my amp. It seemed like I still only had sound in one channel.
I did swap out the RCA cables from my SB3 to amp. Problem is one channel out of the SB3. When cables are swapped, I get music out of my other KEF speaker. (there is a very faint signal in the other speaker?)

Tomorrow will be the test when I get a proper TOSlink cable and try that between the SB3 and my Amp..

toby10
2015-10-22, 01:27
I did swap out the RCA cables from my SB3 to amp. Problem is one channel out of the SB3. When cables are swapped, I get music out of my other KEF speaker...

Yes, and when swapped the issue switched which speaker/amp did not work, correct? If issue was originally with L channel, L/R cables swapped, now issue is with R channel?

chamonix
2015-10-22, 08:42
Yes, and when swapped the issue switched which speaker/amp did not work, correct? If issue was originally with L channel, L/R cables swapped, now issue is with R channel?

Yes. Now the other speaker is powered when I swapped the red and white RCA cables. The white RCA jack out of the SB3 appears to be dead.

tcutting
2015-10-22, 13:22
Yes. Now the other speaker is powered when I swapped the red and white RCA cables. The white RCA jack out of the SB3 appears to be dead.

Sounds like a bad capacitor for the "white" output channel - fairly common failure (at least for SB3/Classics, I assume SB2s are virtually identical in that regard).

I am VERY surprised, however, that when connected to external DAC via the digital coax, that you only got one channel - not sure how that would happen.

chamonix
2015-10-22, 13:35
tcutting, toby 10

Well, with a proper Digital Coax, or TOSlink it is now working!! Just to be sure I had ordered a Digital Coax and a 3 foot TOSlink cable at the same time. Both cables arrived today. I had previously tried a regular (single) RCA cable between the SB3 and my amp connecting the digital coax terminals. Results were ambiguous.
Should a regular RCA cable have worked the same as the Digital Coax cable? Or is a Digital Coax cable different?

Anyway both the new Digital Coax and the TOSlink cable are giving me both channels from the SB3 to the amp, and to my speakers. So I have decided to use the TOSlink cable, it's thinner, and fits more easily on my sound system counter.
Luckily I had a friends Pioneer VSX-820 receiver on hand which had the TOSlink in connector. This receiver had been in storage in my basement until this week.

Mnyb
2015-10-22, 21:52
tcutting, toby 10

Well, with a proper Digital Coax, or TOSlink it is now working!! Just to be sure I had ordered a Digital Coax and a 3 foot TOSlink cable at the same time. Both cables arrived today. I had previously tried a regular (single) RCA cable between the SB3 and my amp connecting the digital coax terminals. Results were ambiguous.
Should a regular RCA cable have worked the same as the Digital Coax cable? Or is a Digital Coax cable different?

Anyway both the new Digital Coax and the TOSlink cable are giving me both channels from the SB3 to the amp, and to my speakers. So I have decided to use the TOSlink cable, it's thinner, and fits more easily on my sound system counter.
Luckily I had a friends Pioneer VSX-820 receiver on hand which had the TOSlink in connector. This receiver had been in storage in my basement until this week.

Technically a coax is that a coaxial cable of certain impedance 75ohm just like an antenna cable .
But for a test with a short length even a mismatch by using a analog cable to the coax input should work fine .
Heck with a decent DAC it would probably work fine , but it's best practice to use the proper cable .

You don't need to order fancy audiophile variants , just decent cables .

Note that the volume works the digital out too ! Just so you know and don't get surprised by high or low levels :)

toby10
2015-10-23, 01:52
.... Should a regular RCA cable have worked the same as the Digital Coax cable?

Yes. Stranger still that it produced the exact same channel issue. Very odd indeed.

chamonix
2015-10-24, 07:45
Mnyb wrote

You don't need to order fancy audiophile variants , just decent cables .

I ordered some inexpensive cables, the TOSlink and digital coax were from New Egg. Maybe $5.00 each.

chamonix
2018-10-16, 09:05
Sadly, almost 3 years to the day after my previous post, this same SB3 is starting to reboot constantly. Like every 5 minutes .Sad ...:(:(

philippe_44
2018-10-16, 12:45
Sadly, almost 3 years to the day after my previous post, this same SB3 is starting to reboot constantly. Like every 5 minutes .Sad ...:(:(

Sorry to hear that - Mine started to do the same a couple of weeks ago, after it dropped on the floor. Tried new PSU, did not help. Although the CPU board and WiFi board where still in place, I did take them off and put them back on but it did not help. I thought it had some CPU board component soldering issue so I decided to reflow it but I got "distracted" and due to a silly mistake I did in reflow settings, I killed it.

If you decide to not use yours anymore, I'll buy it for parts

bpa
2018-10-16, 14:29
If you haven't tried removing the Wifi card - do so . A failing wifi card can cause reboots even if not using wifi connection.

chamonix
2018-10-16, 18:57
bpa,
I will try that . Remove wifi card...

chamonix
2018-10-18, 17:24
Well I tried my SB 3 today, with the WiFi card removed. I connected it with Ethernet directly to the WiFi Router. After about 6 minutes of streaming KCRW, it rebooted. And went back to normal ...in six minute stretches, before it would re-boot.

So this is the last of my original circa 2006 SB3s to finally die. I have two of these "re-booting" Squeezeboxes now. Too bad no one has figured out a way to fix them..:(