PDA

View Full Version : Now 47 - should I "fix" their deliberate mistake?

Squirrel
2015-10-04, 10:15
Am in the middle of re-ripping all my Now That's What I Call Music back-catalogue. When I did them originally I wasn't using VBR (so they're all at 192kBit) and the software I used at the time didn't do compilations, so all the songs are on the server as a bunch of orphaned tracks.

Now 47 has an "issue". For whatever reason, they couldn't license the Baha Men's version of Who Let The Dogs Out. (Yeah, I know, but I didn't make the playlist!) Instead they've put a "tribute" cover version on by B Boyz.

So, do I:

1. Replace the cover with the proper track, which I have elsewhere as an orphaned track?
2. Just leave the cover version so the album is identical to the CD? Complete with the "mistake"?

It's kinda like restoring old radios, cars, whatever. Do you restore it to as-new condition or do you restore it to a condition appropriate for its age, that kind of thing.

Would be interested to hear people's views.

d6jg
2015-10-04, 10:28
Sorry but I'd not bother ripping them to MP3 at all.

Jeff07971
2015-10-04, 10:32
Sorry but I'd not bother ripping them to MP3 at all.

You'd rip them to FLAC for better sound quality ? :)

d6jg
2015-10-04, 10:33
Of course :) what else did you think I meant ? ;)

Squirrel
2015-10-04, 10:47
So let's assume that the Now albums are getting ripped... would people fix the "mistake" and substitute the correct track rather than the crappy cover, or just rip it complete with the deliberate mistake?

Jeff07971
2015-10-04, 10:56
So let's assume that the Now albums are getting ripped... would people fix the "mistake" and substitute the correct track rather than the crappy cover, or just rip it complete with the deliberate mistake?

I always rip the disc I have as closely as possible

d6jg
2015-10-04, 10:57
Likewise I would rip it as is.

tcutting
2015-10-04, 10:57

Am in the middle of re-ripping all my Now That's What I Call Music back-catalogue. When I did them originally I wasn't using VBR (so they're all at 192kBit) and the software I used at the time didn't do compilations, so all the songs are on the server as a bunch of orphaned tracks.

Now 47 has an "issue". For whatever reason, they couldn't license the Baha Men's version of Who Let The Dogs Out. (Yeah, I know, but I didn't make the playlist!) Instead they've put a "tribute" cover version on by B Boyz.

So, do I:

1. Replace the cover with the proper track, which I have elsewhere as an orphaned track?
2. Just leave the cover version so the album is identical to the CD? Complete with the "mistake"?

It's kinda like restoring old radios, cars, whatever. Do you restore it to as-new condition or do you restore it to a condition appropriate for its age, that kind of thing.

Would be interested to hear people's views.

Why don't you fix it so the original track is tagged as originally done, the re-tag the added song as an additional track at the end? (Like a bonus track).
It's really up to your preference.
I do recommend if you are already re-ripping, do rip to lossless (so you don't ever need to re-rip again). You can always then convert/copy to lossy to save space for mobile devices.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

garym
2015-10-04, 11:37
I rip all CDs exactly as the CD presents itself, good, bad or otherwise. My rips are an archive of the actual CD. That said, I then use the PLAYLIST function to create different combinations of tracks that I might want for playback purposes. For example, I ripped a Buddy Holly boxset exactly as each DISC presented itself. But I created different playlists from these rips that combine only certain songs (e.g., recreating original separate album track running order).

And I also recommend ripping to lossless if you are reripping (FLAC or apple lossless).

Squirrel
2015-10-04, 12:32
I'm inclined to think "leave it as-is". Likewise there's a few tracks on the Now albums that are the censored radio versions, eg Because I Got High, Purple Hills (retitled from Purple Pills and all the drug references blanked), 212 (how many times was the C-word blanked in that?) etc etc.

So basically rip the album as-is, tag the censored versions by appending "(Clean radio edit)" to the title, and leave the originals separately.

Re the FLAC question, I can't hear the difference between 320Kbit, VBR (~270Kbit) and FLAC on my main setup (Squeezebox Classic running SPDIF into an Arcam AVR360 with Monitor Audio RX6 speakers). I can hear a difference between those and 192Kbit, hence the re-rip. But mainly I'm killing two birds with one stone, the files weren't tagged as part of a compilation when I originally ripped them (about 13 years ago!) as the indexing software I had at the time didn't support Various Artists albums.

garym
2015-10-04, 12:43
I'm inclined to think "leave it as-is". Likewise there's a few tracks on the Now albums that are the censored radio versions, eg Because I Got High, Purple Hills (retitled from Purple Pills and all the drug references blanked), 212 (how many times was the C-word blanked in that?) etc etc.

So basically rip the album as-is, tag the censored versions by appending "(Clean radio edit)" to the title, and leave the originals separately.

Re the FLAC question, I can't hear the difference between 320Kbit, VBR (~270Kbit) and FLAC on my main setup (Squeezebox Classic running SPDIF into an Arcam AVR360 with Monitor Audio RX6 speakers). I can hear a difference between those and 192Kbit, hence the re-rip. But mainly I'm killing two birds with one stone, the files weren't tagged as part of a compilation when I originally ripped them (about 13 years ago!) as the indexing software I had at the time didn't support Various Artists albums.

I can't detect any difference between quality high-enough bit rate mp3 and my FLAC files either. But I still rip to FLAC. A couple of reasons:

1. FLAC has built in CRC self testing mechanism (that is, after copying your library to a new harddrive or a backup HDD, you can run a program that will tell you whether any of the files are corrupted and identify which ones specifically).

2. Future proofing. Let's say that 5 years from now, someone comes up with a Codec/File Container that creates lossy files with 1/100th of the file size requirements as a high bitrate mp3 file. So I could create a set of lossy files for my 90,000 tracks that only take the space of what is now 900 mp3 files. If all I had was the 320kb/VB mp3 files, converting those to the new codec is a "no-no" as I'd be converting lossy to lossy. However, if I had lossless files, I can easily point and click and create a new library of tiny lossless files to use on my portables.

p.s. I currently use FLAC files in my home library playback system. I create a lossy mirror of mp3 files for use on my portables. And for example, I used to create mp3 V-2 files for my portables. In experimenting, I find that I'm perfectly happy with mp3 V-4 files for portables. Thus I can carry more around with me. With my FLAC files, creating the -V4 files is trivial. With only original mp3 files, I'm stuck, as again, converting lossy to lossy is not a good idea.

EDIT: To add, I can personally attest to the future issue this may create. Many moons ago, I ripped over 5,000 CDs to mp3 192CBR. After I learned much more about digital music, I realized that I should have ripped to lossless (and done a better job with tags, with ensuring bit perfect rips (e.g., ACCURATERIP database), etc. I've since been on a long journey to re-rip those 5,000 CDs. That's why I'm such a believer in rip once, rip right now.

Julf
2015-10-04, 12:43
Re the FLAC question, I can't hear the difference between 320Kbit, VBR (~270Kbit) and FLAC on my main setup (Squeezebox Classic running SPDIF into an Arcam AVR360 with Monitor Audio RX6 speakers). I can hear a difference between those and 192Kbit, hence the re-rip.

The point is that if you re-rip to lossless, you never have to re-rip again, no matter how good your system/ears/bank account gets.

d6jg
2015-10-04, 12:44
Try listening to something well recorded with a set of decent headphones and you may detect the difference between 320kbps VBR MP3 and FLAC.

Julf
2015-10-04, 12:47
Try listening to something well recorded with a set of decent headphones and you may detect the difference between 320kbps VBR MP3 and FLAC.

Unlikely, based on a number of tests.

d6jg
2015-10-04, 12:55
I did say MAY.
I originally opted for 320kbps VBR but my wife bought me some B&W P7s last Xmas and suddenly I could detect the difference.
My main system isn't Audiofool level but I think it's at a pretty good level and it's far more difficult to detect via speakers (Celestion F20s) than headphones.

Mnyb
2015-10-04, 13:25
Yes you rip to lossles for archival reasons and future proofing .

And lossles is lossles so if flac itself is becomes obsolete you can easily convert to another lossless format without problems.

You don't reconvert lossy files ,chances are that you introduce artifacts .

For,portables and similar you convert to lossy formats from the lossles rip archive .

Re audibility . The MP3 decoder used in squeezeboxes are not a perfect implementation it has some compromises with the right circumstances it is audible on some files . So in that case decode on the server with lame