PDA

View Full Version : Apparent Receiver suicide en mass (x3): streaming but no D or A audio. Help please.

sto
2015-10-02, 01:40
Hi All

After owning three Receivers pretty much since they came out I seem to have hit a serious issue. Despite seemingly streaming ok there is now no audio output.

Over the years the faithful little boxes have entertained and impressed. Both at home and at many events; weddings, birthdays, anniversary’s and random parties included. Apart from s/w config issue they’ve never let me down.

A few weeks ago I was configuring them to use a recycled router I planned to use at an upcoming wedding. I’d sold my Controller some time ago so was using the Net::UDAP scripts that I’d used many times before. These scripts I’d always found to be a bit erratic but usually got there in the end.

But then I saw a symptom I hadn’t seen before. Receivers streaming, showing a bright white* LED but not outputting any audio on any of the outputs. At first it was just two but the other soon go in on the game. Bear in mind that these units where in use at home so were working beforehand. When I configure a new setup up I usually run them for 24 hours to show the setup is reliable. IIRC correctly I’d run them for this period with no amps or decoders connected. Although I’d didn’t check the audio before I stopped, LMS showed them still streaming quite happily.

During debug I went through three different routers and multiple set to defaults/config cycles. To no avail, still no sound. Still wondering if I had a config issue I bought a new(to me) Duet set. I had the new Receiver working in minutes and soon showed that even using the Controller to setup the other Receivers it made no difference. I also used the hold button down, power on LED/audio test mode to test too, no sounds produced in this mode.

I’ve been pulling my hair out, are they really dead now ? Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks very much.

*well one of them has gone a bit yellow in it's old age....

Mnyb
2015-10-04, 03:06
Did,you do,the full factory reset holding the button until it blinks red fast , not only until it starts blinking red slowly.

sto
2015-10-05, 01:36
Did,you do,the full factory reset holding the button until it blinks red fast , not only until it starts blinking red slowly.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this several times but with no change. There was a time I was convinced that this wasn't working properly and not returning all the settings to default but I think it was the UDAP scripts not clearing out previously gathered details. Now when using them I exit the scripts completely before trying to config a unit again.

Any other ideas, anyone ?

bpa
2015-10-05, 02:46
Just to confirm - you got audio test tones out (tested on analog & digital) and front button went through colours when you pressed and held the button while plugging in the Receiver.

sto
2015-10-05, 03:21
Just to confirm - you got audio test tones out (tested on analog & digital) and front button went through colours when you pressed and held the button while plugging in the Receiver.

Hi BPA, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately all three units did not output anything via analogue or digital audio channels when using the "hold button down, power on" LED/audio test mode. The LEDs cycled as expected.

bpa
2015-10-05, 04:56
Hi BPA, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately all three units did not output anything via analogue or digital audio channels when using the "hold button down, power on" LED/audio test mode. The LEDs cycled as expected.

Odd that all three were affected at same time.

There is a possibility of h/w issue but would have required (e.g. surge) something to dmaage output stages of 3 receivers at the same time but unless they were connected to same amp/speaker simultaneously or in succession- this seems unlikely.

This "feels" like a Xilinx problem as in the past other users have had SB3 and Boom suddenly lose audio which was fixed by factory reset but no test tones does imply an output stage problem however affecting both digital and analog - again make it feel like xilinx.

After factory reset, I would somehow try to get a another "firmware" load into a receiver (e.g. downgrade to an older version of LMS) and then do a factory reset again with the changed firmware. After that perhaps it is a case of opening the units up and using a scope.

sto
2015-10-05, 05:50
All the amp ports, cables etc have been used successfully used before and since so I agree it's unlikely to be something there. This of course keeps me hoping it's config rather than hardware related.

The Xilinx scenario did come to mind too. But discounted it as the Receiver doesn't have this. Good idea regarding the firmware down-date though. Not done this before, well not deliberately anyway. So it's just a case of using the receivers with an earlier version of LMS and it'll flash the receivers down to match the version of LMS then ?

Thanks

bpa
2015-10-05, 05:54
The Xilinx scenario did come to mind too. But discounted it as the Receiver doesn't have this.

Receiver has xlinx - check the hard error codes (5 blinks) in the wiki page http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED

sto
2015-10-05, 09:24
I stand corrected :-)

I assumed they didn't have the same device as I hadn't seen it mentioned in the same context as resetting it in the other devices.

Swiftie
2015-10-08, 04:38
I'll admit profound ignorance of this sort of problem, but reading through the posts made me think of a couple of things:

1. I keep an RCA/Phono plug to mini (3.5mm) headphone socket cable handy for debugging. I can plug this into the Duet receiver, and plug my simplest headphones into the cable. This gives you confidence that the audio out is working, if it is indeed working.

2. Might your controller, or whatever you are using as a controller be systematically muting the sound from your players, or turning the volume down to zero? Incidentally, "Down to Zero", track 1 on the eponymous album "Joan Armatrading" makes a suitable choice of test music here... :-)

I doubt that either of these will help.

sto
2015-10-09, 03:24
Oh dear, oh dear. oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. I'm a numpty.

@Swiftie, Mnyb and bpa; thanks very much for the thoughts and the support.

It turns out my understanding of how the long button press reset to default function works. I was holding the button long enough for the fast red blink and then powering off the unit. I'd then power on it to the slow blink and update the settings, seemingly oblivious to having had corrupting something fundamental.

Correct process applied and I'm very pleased to say all three units are working ! Please don't hold back in your taking the mick for my daftness :-)