PDA

View Full Version : No lights on SD Receiver

artpayne
2015-09-26, 23:07
I've been using SD for two or three years without a problem. However, a month or so ago I had to disconnect it and it has not been used for about six weeks. Tried to power it up again yesterday and found the receiver appears to be dead, no lights at all when plugged in.. Have tried re-set procedures without success. The remote is connected to my wireless network and everything there looks fine. Is it possible/likely that the receiver has died? If so, can I get another?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Art

All wireless system
Controller Firmware 7.7.3r16662
Receiver

philippe_44
2015-09-27, 00:09
Power supply can be dead - it happened to me twice over years

artpayne
2015-09-27, 17:53
Power supply can be dead - it happened to me twice over years

Many thanks for your reply.

How can I check that? The receiver appears to be sealed.

Art

philippe_44
2015-09-27, 18:51
I'm thinking about the external block itself. If you have a multimeter, you can unplug it from the receiver and check its voltage. Cheap multimeters are easy to find and can be a handy tool. Otherwise, you need to find another block with the same voltage, same or higher Amp capacity and same plug (I can't remember values on top of my head now) and try to replace it.

artpayne
2015-09-28, 00:18
I'm thinking about the external block itself. If you have a multimeter, you can unplug it from the receiver and check its voltage. Cheap multimeters are easy to find and can be a handy tool. Otherwise, you need to find another block with the same voltage, same or higher Amp capacity and same plug (I can't remember values on top of my head now) and try to replace it.

Hi Philippe,

I assume from your reply that the power supply is incorporated in the power plug. Is that so?

Art

philippe_44
2015-09-28, 00:44
Hi Philippe,

I assume from your reply that the power supply is incorporated in the power plug. Is that so?

Art

Yes sorry if I was not clear. What fails from time to time (at least it happended to me twice) is the wall plug block that has a jack power plug at the end.

artpayne
2015-09-30, 00:13
Yes sorry if I was not clear. What fails from time to time (at least it happended to me twice) is the wall plug block that has a jack power plug at the end.

I've checked and there is power to the receiver so it appears that the receiver is where the problem lies. Is it possible to open up the receiver so that the individual components can be tested? Failing that, what is the availability of a receiver.

Have checked on Ebay without any success short of buying a whole new SD system.

Regards

Art

bpa
2015-09-30, 05:08
Is it possible to open up the receiver so that the individual components can be tested?

Yes - peel off rubber foot very carefully (start in a corner lifting edge with a small tool) so that it can be put back afterwards - it will reveal four screws - IIRC you'll need a Torx T10 screwdriver. First thing to try is to remove WLAN card and then try with power as a faulty card can bring whole unit down.

artpayne
2015-10-03, 00:39
Yes - peel off rubber foot very carefully (start in a corner lifting edge with a small tool) so that it can be put back afterwards - it will reveal four screws - IIRC you'll need a Torx T10 screwdriver. First thing to try is to remove WLAN card and then try with power as a faulty card can bring whole unit down.

Thanks for that.

Got the unit opened up but don't have testing facilities myself. Will take it to a local computer components store; hopefully they can test it for me and find what needs replacing.

Art

Mnyb
2015-10-03, 00:50

Yes however it will not function without wifi ( like sb3 and sb2 does) but the led should show some lights .

bpa
2015-10-03, 01:26
Yes however it will not function without wifi ( like sb3 and sb2 does) but the led should show some lights .

I forgot for SBR that there some "jumpers" are needed to boot without WLAN - but a replacement WLAN card is cheap if it is at fault.

If WLAN was bringing SBR down then as mnyb says removing the WLAN will enable LED to show an error code see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED

Also in wiki entry is says hwo to get test tones
If you press and hold the button while plugging in the Receiver, you'll see the button sequence through a series of colors and a set of ascending test tones will be played through the audio outputs.

Mnyb
2015-10-03, 01:39
I forgot for SBR that there some "jumpers" are needed to boot without WLAN - but a replacement WLAN card is cheap if it is at fault.

If WLAN was bringing SBR down then as mnyb says removing the WLAN will enable LED to show an error code see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBR_front_button_and_LED

Also in wiki entry is says hwo to get test tones
If you press and hold the button while plugging in the Receiver, you'll see the button sequence through a series of colors and a set of ascending test tones will be played through the audio outputs.

Ok so it can boot without wlan , good to know .

bpa
2015-10-03, 02:47
Ok so it can boot without wlan , good to know .

Not 100% sure about that but IIRC I think it is the case.

edit:

This post seems to indicate Reciver can boot without WLAN
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99115-Resurrect-squeezebox-receiver&p=751693&viewfull=1#post751693

and this threads is even more detailed
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?73004-Remove-wifi-card-from-receiver

Mnyb
2015-10-03, 10:03
Not 100% sure about that but IIRC I think it is the case.

edit:

This post seems to indicate Reciver can boot without WLAN
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99115-Resurrect-squeezebox-receiver&p=751693&viewfull=1#post751693

and this threads is even more detailed
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?73004-Remove-wifi-card-from-receiver

Ok with some hardware mod then . I do understand why this is not default a wifi free receiver can only be setup by the netudap script if you for some reason wants to factory reset it