PDA

View Full Version : The future of Squeezebox

BobHy
2015-09-21, 14:47
Its been a few years now since Logitech abandoned Squeezebox. So, who is keeping things running? I understand that we can always operate our systems with LMS, but on its own, without mysqueezebox.com it would only be useful for local music libraries. My system is controlled by an an ancient laptop, now dedicated as a server for Squeezebox. Michael in Switzerland seems to be much involved, but is this as a volunteer?

Personally, I love the system. I have 3 Booms, 3 Radios, and 1 Touch. During the day, I listen to various radio stations that would not be reliably available over the air, and to my music library; the Squeezebox system is marvelous at making it easy to do.

toby10
2015-09-22, 04:00
Later versions of LMS do not require even the existance of MySB.com for basic internet radio streaming. But most services/apps will not function even with LMS when this happens.

Micheal is still a Logitech employee (afaik), likely programming for other non-SB Logitech devices and keeping MySB.com/UE online/LMS/UE Library running.

Ikabob
2015-09-23, 05:49
Just as an option, I have been looking at the Sonos system. I love the SBs so I do not want to change. The SB sound quality is so excellent. I was wondering how the Sonos SQ compares? Thank you.

usc95
2015-09-23, 09:40
Sonos is just too expensive to me to even bother with. After building players for under $100 out of Raspberry Pi's and hacked pogoplugs I am going to have a hard time paying $350 for a single Sonos Connect. I am hopeful that Google's rumored Google Cast for audio players comes to fruition and they provide a good cheap solution for the music services that we will be losing when mysqueezebox.com is finally shut down.

wortgefecht
2015-09-23, 10:45
and hacked pogoplugs

Please explain :) I have one of those still standing around somewhere.

usc95
2015-09-23, 11:23
This site has all the details: http://vortexbox.org/special/news/documentation/50525-Building-the-VAMP

I believe you need the older E02 model to make it work. I have one with a cheap Muse DAC in my office that I listen to daily. This whole setup cost me a whopping $40 so you can see why I am in no hurry to pony up for a Sonos.

usc95
2015-09-23, 11:31
I just noticed that the links on that page are dead. I know that vortexbox.org got hacked a while back and a lot of the content got screwed up but this one should help: http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/general/51048-looking-for-vamp-iso

You may want to head over there for help from the guys that created the thing.

wortgefecht
2015-09-23, 12:24
I just noticed that the links on that page are dead. I know that vortexbox.org got hacked a while back and a lot of the content got screwed up but this one should help: http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/general/51048-looking-for-vamp-iso

You may want to head over there for help from the guys that created the thing.

Thanks! This looks interesting. I'll give it a try this weekend or so :) Not that I'm in need of more players now, but why not, since I don't need the Pogoplug anymore.

Apesbrain
2015-09-23, 15:33
Just as an option, I have been looking at the Sonos system. I love the SBs so I do not want to change. The SB sound quality is so excellent. I was wondering how the Sonos SQ compares? Thank you.
Provided you are routing the data from a Sonos Connect to an external DAC such as your Benchmark there should be no difference in sound quality via your hifi. I'd say the Sonos Play:1 compares favorably soundwise to a Squeezebox Radio. I've heard the Play:1 and it sounded pretty good for a little box. Like the Radio you can do two of them in stereo configuration. The bigger units get pricey but they do promise better sound. The Play:5 is quite a bit larger than a Boom and should move a lot of air. If it matters to you, I don't believe Sonos supports hi-res files (anything over 16/44). In short, there is nothing Sonos can do that your Squeezebox system can't do so long as we still have access to music services such as Rhapsody.

Sonos is just too expensive to me to even bother with. After building players for under $100 out of Raspberry Pi's and hacked pogoplugs I am going to have a hard time paying $350 for a single Sonos Connect.
To be fair about the cost, when you buy most Sonos units you are buying a self-contained playback device (streamer, DAC, amplifier, speaker) not just a streamer as is the case with RPi/PogoPlug/etc. You are right that the Connect hifi interface is overpriced at $349. There is no equivalent in the closed Sonos universe for Squeezelite which allows simple devices like a RPi or Android mini-pc to serve as a cheap streamer.

Ikabob
2015-09-23, 17:32
Thank you for the comparison of SB to Sonos. Hopefully the SBs will be around for a very long time. I love the system. Thanks.

doctor_big
2015-09-25, 05:05
Sonos is also limited by library size. Something like 40k tracks depending on some variables

esa
2015-10-03, 01:18
When I was searching for a system to waikup in the morning with the NEXT song of my playlist, then I was surprised that SONOS can't do this simple thing.
With LMS, it is even better than a simple playlist. You can use dynamic playlist!
You can play with query, add plugins...
Sonos can't do what LMS does, but the opposite is true if you connect a good power amplifier to it.
Why Logitech stopped the dev? Maybe it wasn't enough profitable compared to other products in their list.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

erland
2015-10-03, 02:27
I understand that we can always operate our systems with LMS, but on its own, without mysqueezebox.com it would only be useful for local music libraries.

One of the intentions with ickStream Music Platform is to make online streaming services work on Squeezebox with LMS without mysqueezebox.com.
It's currently available as a public beta for Squeezebox users: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102497-Announcement-ickStream-open-beta-release-on-Squeezebox-!

CommanderROR
2015-10-04, 02:14
@erland
I really hope you succeed! If you can bring the popular streaming services back to LMS/Squeezebox, then this system might just make it back into the limelight.

You'll need a bigger dev team though, and some kind of way to make money out of it...