PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Dead on the Logitech Devices

MRL_SQBX
2015-09-11, 10:13
Anyone else receive a notice from SiriusXM as I have. Got it today. Thoughts about Logitech reacting with a compatible update.
---
Dear Valued Listener,

Our records show that you may be streaming music over a Logitech device. We are improving the way we stream the SiriusXM Internet service which requires a compatible internet enabled player. We suggest asking the manufacturer of your device about what's needed to continue streaming SiriusXM. It's important to take action soon because as of September 30 your streaming radio or receiver will not be able to play the enhanced streaming service.

This has no effect on your account and the billing of your SiriusXM Internet Radio subscription package. You can continue to listen to SiriusXM over the internet by downloading our app on your smartphone, tablet, PC, or current internet-connected sound system. This also has no effect on listening to SiriusXM by satellite.

If you have any questions please call us at 1-888-601-6296 and reference your device.

Thank you for being a loyal SiriusXM listener.

kmr
2015-09-11, 10:30
I got it too. For the Radio that I have by the bed, I can always plug my iPhone or iPad into the line in jack and listen to Sirius that way. But I don't know the options for the (Slim Devices branded!) SB3 in the living room...

chrisla
2015-09-11, 11:04
One very round-about way is to plug said device into the line-in on your
server or run the app on your server. You can then use any number of
methods (I use Nicecast / AudioHijack on a mac myself) to get the audio.
You then have a local stream in a standard format you can point the
squeezebox at. I do this to listen to my scanner among other things.

For sure a far second to direct support, but it will work for anything.

-Chris

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM, kmr <
kmr.732f3c (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I got it too. For the Radio that I have by the bed, I can always plug my
> iPhone or iPad into the line in jack and listen to Sirius that way. But
> I don't know the options for the (Slim Devices branded!) SB3 in the
> living room...
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> kmr's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10664
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104287
>
>

Ikabob
2015-09-11, 11:33
Yes, the info in this letter, which I received also, is unfortunate. The convenience of listening to Sirius Radio stations over my stereo SB ecosystem is definitely going to suffer....unless LOGITECH can accommodate this Sirius compatibility issue.
I'm listening to Sinatra as I work at the computer. Very convenient. Yes, the line in work around will certainly be a very far second choice to what we have now. I really think I'd have to cancel my Sirius Subscription...which I would miss greatly.

Michael or a 3rd party innovator (Triode) have many times come through as we meet these obstacles. I still think that LOGITECH made a big mistake by throwing the Squeezeboxes under the bus. It's the BEST! could they possibly pick it up again... Wishfull thinking but it won't happen.

Michael, do you have any response regarding the future incompatibility of Sirius with SBs???
Thank you.

pippin
2015-09-11, 11:46
Have you written to Sirius about it?

Ikabob
2015-09-11, 13:00
Have you written to Sirius about it?

No, I have not contacted Sirius. According to the letter, the solution to this would have to come from LOGITECH. The letter seems to indicate it's a "done deal" on their part. Do you really think we could turn this decision around?
Thanks

Update: I did email Sirius and I expressed my disappointment. I should receive a response in 24-48 hours.

pippin
2015-09-11, 13:03
No, I don't think so but complaining creates awareness about what this means for how many of their customers.
This might increase the level of interest on their side of a solution

Dogberry2
2015-09-11, 13:33
If the new Sirius API is made available, would it not be possible to modify LMS to use the new API? I don't know what it would take to get Sirius to provide the API specs, but if they're at all interested in customer support for Squeezebox listeners they might do so. Obviously they've done so for other devices. Has anybody checked into this line of approach?

pippin
2015-09-11, 14:41
Guess why I made my comment above.

Ikabob
2015-09-12, 04:46
It was recommended to me to contact Sirius and let them know of my disappointment. This was their response to me:

"Thank you for contacting SiriusXM regarding your request to be able to listen on your Squeezebox.

We continually rely on customer feedback like yours and research to enhance your entertainment experience. As we strive to create the most diverse listening experience available, we find that the feedback we receive is crucial to our success. We are forwarding your comments to the appropriate department.

To check supported devices, please visit the link below:

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3686/kw/device

We hope you continue to enjoy SiriusXM's commercial-free music and entertainment programming. We are committed to providing you with the best in listener care. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you,

Jezra
SiriusXM Listener Care
1-866-635-2349. "

If you check the link, LOGITECH IS listed as a supported device???

mr_hyde
2015-09-13, 02:54
If you check the link, LOGITECH IS listed as a supported device???

Hmm,

it says 'selected models of these manufacturers'. I guess you know what it means.

bonze
2015-09-13, 02:55
If you check the link, LOGITECH IS listed as a supported device???Well for a couple of more weeks that statement is true.

freelsjd
2015-09-13, 09:05
This is a general trend. Logitech does not care about us anymore it appears to me.

At least Sirius notified their customers. Have you ever received an e-mail from Logitech when support for anything was going away from the product we purchased from them ? At least they do keep this forum going where we can all complain to each other.

Sirius seems to be serious about their business.

wortgefecht
2015-09-13, 11:06
At least Sirius notified their customers. Have you ever received an e-mail from Logitech when support for anything was going away from the product we purchased from them ?

Did you register with Logitech? Because I never did that.

Ikabob
2015-09-20, 04:51
Maybe Michael or Triode could help respond.

pippin
2015-09-20, 11:06
What does Triode have to do with this?

Ikabob
2015-09-20, 23:07
What does Triode have to do with this?

Well, Triode seems to have expertise in third party plugins which could possibly help fix this streaming issue. (Similar to the Spotify plugin). Perhaps I am misunderstanding Triode's capabilities regarding affecting SB functionality. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

pippin
2015-09-20, 23:14
It's not just a streaming issue, I believe. Hence my comments above.
SiriusXM is implemented on MySB where 3rd party devs can't contribute

ciarmer
2015-09-21, 03:37
I contacted Logitech support about five days ago. In addition, I sent an email to the corporate contact that was suggested in this thread. I just received the following response to my support request. This doesn't necessarily sound like bad news.

Dear D,

My name is Hayley, I understand that you would like assistance with your Squeezebox Radio.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The problem regarding to Serius XM is already reported to our higher technical support and right now they already fixing the issue. We will communicate on you to your e-mail before the end of September end or if we have an update from higher support.

Please feel free to reply to this email should you need further assistance from us ans we will more than happy to address in no time.

For future reference your case reference number is xxxxxxx. This will allow us to quickly find the contact history when you need additional help. If we do not receive a reply, your support request will eventually be closed and set to "solved". A survey will be sent to you to gather your feedback.

To contact us by phone or obtain additional information (FAQ's, Forum, Manuals, etc.) please visit support.logitech.com

Best regards,
Logitech Customer Care

Ikabob
2015-09-21, 05:09
Thanks for the information Pippin. I listen to SiriusXM via LMS.

And, thanks for pursuing this, Ciarmer. Those are encouraging words. SiriusXM is an important part of my listening entertainment and ,like you and many others, I'd be disappointed if it were discontinued on the SB ecosystem. I'm also very pleasantly surprised that LOGITECH will actually support action to fix this for its customers. I wonder if they'd be open to a suggestion to begin producing the SB line of products again. Wouldn't that by nice?
Thanks again, Ciamer.

pippin
2015-09-21, 05:50
Thanks for the information Pippin. I listen to SiriusXM via LMS.

Currently, the SiriusXM implementation sits on MySB, whether you play it through LMS or not.
So a fix needs to go on MySB.

If no fix happens, if you want a 3rd Party plugin on LMS then SiriusXM would have to release their API to 3rd Party developers. Which they currently don't. On purpose, they don't want their access hacked.

netchord
2015-09-21, 06:57
i'm told that Logitech has know about this for a at least a year, maybe 18 months.

mherger
2015-09-21, 20:56
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mysqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/Logitech-Squeezebox-Products-and-SiriusXM-Internet-Radio/td-p/1441205

--

Michael

kmr
2015-09-21, 22:02
Summary: we're fucked.

bwaldron
2015-09-22, 03:20
Summary: we're fucked.

Apparently so. Much as I love my Squeezeboxes, it is probably time to seriously consider alternatives to meet the needs of our household -- some members of which use Squeezebox radios almost exclusively for SiriusXM.

garym
2015-09-22, 08:04
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mysqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/Logitech-Squeezebox-Products-and-SiriusXM-Internet-Radio/td-p/1441205

--

Michael

Thanks. This at least is a definitive answer.

netchord
2015-09-22, 12:04

--

Michael

any idea what the "required" update entails?

my sources tell me Logi could fix this if they wanted to.

jeffryn
2015-09-27, 12:57
I think that Logitech should open source the Squeezebox Devices. (If they have I haven't heard about it yet) However, I pretty much listen to Pandora and my own music on the Squeezebox devices. (I have four) With Open Source there are a lot of DIY people out there that could add Amazon Music and the new Sirius/XM.\

pippin
2015-09-27, 16:14
The Logitech devices ARE open sourced. Only proprietary 3rd party software on the devices is closed source as is the access code for 3rd party services kept closed by these services. Like SiriusXM's

philippe_44
2015-09-27, 18:59
Is the firmware inside open source ? I thought is was still not

Mnyb
2015-09-27, 19:35
Is the firmware inside open source ? I thought is was still not

The firmware in receiver and older player is closed , Touch and Radio is open .

The problem is that the ipk3 based players needs some propriotary very expensive dev software for it's propriotary OS and CPU .

It's a very limited hardware problems with other services and the past has been that the hardware is simply to limited to implement encryption directly and other demands that the service provider could come up with .

The services them self must also provide some API and which many simply don't do .

However what about Touch and Radio ? Can Sirius be implemented on them ? Sorry if I missed the exact nature of the change they implemented , they stopped some legacy protocol trough which squeezeboxes got their acess ?

Afaik Logitech perform some limited support on LMS and my squeezebox.com .

They do not support any ipk3 software anymore , do they even have the tools and personnel ?
Touch and Radio we have not seen any new fw in a very long time , but it's unclear to me if there still any official dev/support for these ?

philippe_44
2015-09-27, 22:43
Understood - I remember a discussion here about rhapsody and AES and the need to access FW to try to solve that. I said I would try ( for the tool, I think I could find a way through the current owner and firmware is my primary expertise) but I could not do anything w/o the embedded code :).

philippe_44
2015-09-27, 22:48
any idea what the "required" update entails?

my sources tell me Logi could fix this if they wanted to.

Could we offer to 'fund' it by community ? At the end, for Logitech this is a cost of opportunity call and I can understand they do want to fund anything, but if the development works is paid up, then maybe they could consider it.

pippin
2015-09-28, 05:01
Forget it. Logitech is not a contract developer. I don't know their specific requirements but other, similar companies have metrics on how much revenue (sales. In hardware) you have to generate per engineering man year spent.
Typical values are between 4 and 30 (sic!) million $ of revenue per engineering man year. What this means is: they don't just sell you engineering, they want a complete project and that needs to be justified in terms of HW sales.

bluegaspode
2015-09-28, 09:05
Thanks god App developers don't expect as much revenue per App developer man year spent ;-)

Oh behold: the expectation was existent but reality had it for breakfast.

philippe_44
2015-09-28, 11:26
Forget it. Logitech is not a contract developer. I don't know their specific requirements but other, similar companies have metrics on how much revenue (sales. In hardware) you have to generate per engineering man year spent.
Typical values are between 4 and 30 (sic!) million $ of revenue per engineering man year. What this means is: they don't just sell you engineering, they want a complete project and that needs to be justified in terms of HW sales.

It mainly varies depending on gross margin of the impacted product (and consumer electronic is not a happy place for that) and also the size of the team that would be involved as the opportunity cost of "not doing something else" matters a lot. Having said that, I mentionned this because also sometimes, if the amount of work is small enough, then as long as you cover your cost, you're happy with the positive image it brings to your brand. I have no idea of the size of the work required for that API upgrade. If it is large (like measured in men*years vs men-weeks) then I agree, 0 chance for a discontinued product family.

pippin
2015-09-28, 11:34
Thanks god App developers don't expect as much revenue per App developer man year spent ;-)

Oh behold: the expectation was existent but reality had it for breakfast.

Depends on who they work for. Of course contract engineering companies do work for you at a cheaper rate. But my point was Logitech isn't an engineering contractor.
They have huge overhead in manufacturing and marketing, engineering is usually one of the things they are short on so they only do it in their own projects.
If you want, say, Sony to develop your iOS App I bet they don't do it for just a daily rate as well.

pippin
2015-09-28, 11:37
It mainly varies depending on gross margin of the impacted product (and consumer electronic is not a happy place for that) and also the size of the team that would be involved as the opportunity cost of "not doing something else" matters a lot. Having said that, I mentionned this because also sometimes, if the amount of work is small enough, then as long as you cover your cost, you're happy with the positive image it brings to your brand. I have no idea of the size of the work required for that API upgrade. If it is large (like measured in men*years vs men-weeks) then I agree, 0 chance for a discontinued product family.

The problem here is: if this was just a little bit of engineering work Michael would have long done it like he does e.g. for Spotify.
Thus us not just changing to a different API, this likely means operational changes in MySB and/or firmware updates on the SBs. Non-trivial ones.

Doing it through LMS might make a few things a lot easier but doesn't solve Logitech's problem so why should they go that route?

castalla
2015-09-28, 11:46
Sonos state they have the fixes in place ... it can't be that difficult if Sonos can do it, as they are famously slow and feet-dragging at fixing things (eg. BBC hls is still in the works after 9 months).

pippin
2015-09-28, 12:24
Well, someone stated above that they had 2 years or so..

philippe_44
2015-09-28, 13:41
The problem here is: if this was just a little bit of engineering work Michael would have long done it like he does e.g. for Spotify.
Thus us not just changing to a different API, this likely means operational changes in MySB and/or firmware updates on the SBs. Non-trivial ones.

Doing it through LMS might make a few things a lot easier but doesn't solve Logitech's problem so why should they go that route?

too bad for Sirius users then - was just trying to see if a solution could be found

pippin
2015-09-28, 13:42
Me, too, actually

mherger
2015-09-29, 07:21
> Could we offer to 'fund' it by community ?

One point which hasn't been mentioned so far is maintenance and running
cost. Not only needs new code to be written, but it has to be run, too.
Some changes may require more processing overhead than others. And if a
solution comes at longer term costs of increased server capacity, then
this can be a killer. There's a reason why we never allowed user
extentions (plugins) on mysb.com.

--

Michael

netchord
2015-09-29, 10:49
i'm getting a message on all channels today alerting me to the forthcoming change. essentially, a guy is reading the email we got last week. it's on all channels, and seems to be in a continuous loop.

since i'm not prepared to invest in new hardware, it's addio SiriusXM.

garym
2015-09-29, 10:58
i'm getting a message on all channels today alerting me to the forthcoming change. essentially, a guy is reading the email we got last week. it's on all channels, and seems to be in a continuous loop.

Probably won't help, but I have contacted SiriusXM letting them know that I'll be cancelling my internet streaming service given that it no longer works with logitech squeezeboxes. I'm sure this is not entirely their fault, but as pippin has pointed out elsewhere, I'm a siriusXM paying customer and they still receive revenue. Logitech is no longer in this business and receive no revenue from me. And we're only lucky that mysb.com still works (and we have this forum with its wealth of info).

Ikabob
2015-09-29, 13:14
Yes, I'll be saying goodbye to SiriusXM. It's too bad there's no fix. I actually thought someone here would come through to save the day.
Goodbye to Francis Albert and Willie and Elvis...:-(

mpmartin
2015-09-29, 16:52
See this post "Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:13 pm Post subject: Response from SiriusXM" within this message string on the XMFan.com board:

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=124785&start=75&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The poster said they sent a message to the executive board which resulted in a follow-up conversation. This line piqued my interest:

"I asked if SiriusXM would be willing to provide their API to someone who was wiling to endeavor to create an open source plugin for the Logitech devices. They were open to this. If anyone knows of an effort like this or would like to start one, let me know and I can provide info. "

garym
2015-09-29, 16:58
See this post "Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:13 pm Post subject: Response from SiriusXM" within this message string on the XMFan.com board:

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=124785&start=75&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The poster said they sent a message to the executive board which resulted in a follow-up conversation. This line piqued my interest:

"I asked if SiriusXM would be willing to provide their API to someone who was wiling to endeavor to create an open source plugin for the Logitech devices. They were open to this. If anyone knows of an effort like this or would like to start one, let me know and I can provide info. "

IckStream, are you listening? :cool:

chicken
2015-09-29, 17:04
If its just a matter of a different codec cant we just have LMS transcode the stream to something the players will support? If I remember correctly I had to do this for my original squeezebox back in the day to get sirius working in the first place as it did not support WMA. Curious to see what someones thoughts are that actually understands LMS and how the plugins are programmed. Thanks!

pgershon
2015-09-29, 17:19

I have emailed with ickStream and they say they are indeed interested

pippin
2015-09-29, 18:14

Sure. Of course we would very much like to support SiriusXM for the Squeezeboxes

jojopuppyfish
2015-09-29, 19:14
Sure. Of course we would very much like to support SiriusXM for the Squeezeboxes
I am willing to give a donation to the cause if you can provide a 3rd party plugin for Sirius XM on my Radio.

jrbaker
2015-09-29, 19:51
I am willing to give a donation to the cause if you can provide a 3rd party plugin for Sirius XM on my Radio.

I second that. Whomever wants to start this effort with SiriusXM, please PM me. I'm the guy on the XMFan forum that had the conversation with SiriusXM.

mherger
2015-09-29, 21:39
> If its just a matter of a different codec cant we just have LMS
> transcode the stream to something the players will support?

It's a new API with a new feature set and a new streaming format.

--

Michael

atrocity
2015-09-30, 08:12

Yep. I made it clear that this was the final straw when I called and cancelled this morning.

netchord
2015-09-30, 09:55
i'm confused about AAC- i thought SB could decode AAC? there's a setting in LMS for AAC file types, and mine is set to Native. in any event, why can't LMS transcode the stream on the fly if AAC is really not supported?

toby10
2015-09-30, 11:17
AAC is natively supported by Radio and Touch. All other SB players do not have native AAC decoding requiring LMS to transcode.
But the SiriusXM issue goes far beyond just the changed stream format.

garym
2015-09-30, 11:33
AAC is natively supported by Radio and Touch. All other SB players do not have native AAC decoding requiring LMS to transcode.
But the SiriusXM issue goes far beyond just the changed stream format.

Yep, AAC change is the least of things evidently. The new API and probably some new requirements about verifying streams, etc. are the problem here I suspect. If it was just changing from WMA to AAC, we wouldn't even be having these discussions. I have a glimmer of hope (very dim) given the post somewhere by a SiriusXM exec (reposted here somewhere on one of these related threads) that they'd be happy to work with 3rd parties that could make it work for Squeezeboxes. And the ickStream folks know this and seem interested. Who knows....

pippin
2015-09-30, 12:13
I second that. Whomever wants to start this effort with SiriusXM, please PM me. I'm the guy on the XMFan forum that had the conversation with SiriusXM.

I've sent you a PM

netchord
2015-10-01, 06:56
I've sent you a PM

if you have difficulty, i can also connect you with someone at SXM who can help.

pippin
2015-10-01, 10:19
if you have difficulty, i can also connect you with someone at SXM who can help.

OK, now you've got a PM, too :)

Pellicle
2015-10-05, 07:13
I have a glimmer of hope (very dim) given the post somewhere by a SiriusXM exec (reposted here somewhere on one of these related threads) that they'd be happy to work with 3rd parties that could make it work for Squeezeboxes. And the ickStream folks know this and seem interested. Who knows....

In the meantime I would suggest that all whi are concerned about this issue put pressure on by noting your concern on Logitech Facebook and Twitter pages. Public opinion can make a difference.
https://www.facebook.com/Logitech.US
https://twitter.com/Logitech

Ikabob
2015-10-08, 04:43
Has there been any progress with Sirius availability on SB?

sbartgis
2015-10-08, 06:20
I received an official response last night from a Director at SiriusXM... "we are not adding new partners to the service at this time." I do not know if anyone else has any better news. My company has been in the music server industry for 20 years and has integrated with a dozen online streaming services.

alnames
2015-10-12, 20:09
> If its just a matter of a different codec cant we just have LMS
> transcode the stream to something the players will support?

It's a new API with a new feature set and a new streaming format.

--

Michael

I may jinx this by even mentioning it. I'm playing around with a very wonky setup that kind of works. My LMS ecosystem consists of 3 raspberry pi's running picoreplayer and a 4th running LMS via Max2play. I discovered a simple python script at Github that provides SiriusXM live radio playback (for paid subscribers) by creating an HTTP server that serves HLS playlists and I run this off the LMS pi. I then setup the PlayHLS plugin on the LMS that enables the HLS stream to be played (I discovered Max2play and the PlayHLS plugin on the forum) . Lastly, I can play a station via the LMS by a URL that points to the HTTP server HLS stream and I can save it as a favorite for each station I listen to.

So far it works pretty well. My limited knowledge of Linux, Python, and anything Apple related (HLS streams are an Apple thing) makes it slow going. My problem right now is keeping the HTTP server going. The python script want's to run in a terminal and won't work in the background. Plus the streams stop intermittently (the longest I've kept it going is about an hour). Well, it's my new project for a while.

For me this is at least a proof of concept. If someone with way more brains than I were to take a look at all this that they could come up with a simple LMS plugin that could do all this for us. Until then, I'll keep playing with it.

Kurt
2015-10-14, 10:46
The only reason I was paying for the online feed of Sirius was to listen to it apart from my car in my house on my Squeezebox's. I'm a big fan of the 80s, and having 1st Wave out on the deck in summer was worth the extra charge.

Yesterday I cancelled the online service. I'm in the technology field, but I'm SO tired of these companies putting their customers last.

Disgusted...

And Logitech? Reminds me of Decca's decision to not sign The Beatles because guitar bands were on the way out.

jojopuppyfish
2015-10-14, 19:17
I may jinx this by even mentioning it. I'm playing around with a very wonky setup that kind of works. My LMS ecosystem consists of 3 raspberry pi's running picoreplayer and a 4th running LMS via Max2play. I discovered a simple python script at Github that provides SiriusXM live radio playback (for paid subscribers) by creating an HTTP server that serves HLS playlists and I run this off the LMS pi. I then setup the PlayHLS plugin on the LMS that enables the HLS stream to be played (I discovered Max2play and the PlayHLS plugin on the forum) . Lastly, I can play a station via the LMS by a URL that points to the HTTP server HLS stream and I can save it as a favorite for each station I listen to.

So far it works pretty well. My limited knowledge of Linux, Python, and anything Apple related (HLS streams are an Apple thing) makes it slow going. My problem right now is keeping the HTTP server going. The python script want's to run in a terminal and won't work in the background. Plus the streams stop intermittently (the longest I've kept it going is about an hour). Well, it's my new project for a while.

For me this is at least a proof of concept. If someone with way more brains than I were to take a look at all this that they could come up with a simple LMS plugin that could do all this for us. Until then, I'll keep playing with it.

Please keep this going. And maybe Siriusxm is shutting off the stream after 1 hr.

alnames
2015-10-14, 21:12
Please keep this going. And maybe Siriusxm is shutting off the stream after 1 hr.

I think the stream shutting down has to do with the python script I'm using. At one point I had it going for 5 hours non-stop. Part of the problem is when I change stations. I'll figure it out.

Ikabob
2015-10-16, 01:24
I enjoy listening to Sirius stations in my car with an adapter, but my major usage was in my home. Now that the SB system will no longer stream Sirius I intend to cancel my yearly subscription which renews in November. I cancel reluctantly because like I said I do listen in the car occasionally. It's not worth it to me to pay the subscription fee and not have home access. I love the Sirius Sinatra station especially the First Friday With Francis Albert 24 hour program. I can't drive my car for 24 hours just to hear Frank all day (although I've been tempted).
Question: Is anyone working on resolving this Sirius issue? Is there any hope that it may be resolved and ,perhaps, I should hold on to my subscription? Any progress updates? Thank you very much.

garym
2015-10-16, 03:48
I enjoy listening to Sirius stations in my car with an adapter, but my major usage was in my home. Now that the SB system will no longer stream Sirius I intend to cancel my yearly subscription which renews in November. I cancel reluctantly because like I said I do listen in the car occasionally. It's not worth it to me to pay the subscription fee and not have home access. I love the Sirius Sinatra station especially the First Friday With Francis Albert 24 hour program. I can't drive my car for 24 hours just to hear Frank all day (although I've been tempted).
Question: Is anyone working on resolving this Sirius issue? Is there any hope that it may be resolved and ,perhaps, I should hold on to my subscription? Any progress updates? Thank you very much.

Our main hope is ickstream. You should follow this thread for updates:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104395-SiriusXM-Support-Through-ickStream&p=832577&highlight=ickstream#post832577

jojopuppyfish
2015-10-16, 11:57

You can use the Sirius player on your computer in the meantime. And honestly Sirius has done a great job with their Internet player

garym
2015-10-16, 12:12
You can use the Sirius player on your computer in the meantime. And honestly Sirius has done a great job with their Internet player

My wife is the main SiriusXM listener. And she loves the fact that as she roams the house, as she does most of the time, she's listening in the LR, Kitchen, breakfast room, bathroom, and even her giant walk in closet. That's one of the reasons why we love the Squeezebox ecosystem and why listening on a fixed computer doesn't help. It helps me at work, but here I'm listening to music from sources other than Sirius. We used a computer connected to our stereo for internet streaming 10 years ago. I hate to have to go backwards!

Ikabob
2015-10-17, 07:39

Thank you for the suggestion. I will resort to using Sirius on my computer, but , as Gary points out, it's not like having Sirius piped in from room to room (or to closet). I'm really hoping there's a resolution to this issue to put Sirius back into the SB ecosystem.

oldfolkie
2015-10-17, 12:59
I don't subscribe to Sirius, but if you have both LMS and the Sirius player on your computer, couldn't you just use the Waveinput plugin in LMS to send the feed to your Squeezebox players?

Ikabob
2015-10-17, 13:36
I don't subscribe to Sirius, but if you have both LMS and the Sirius player on your computer, couldn't you just use the Waveinput plugin in LMS to send the feed to your Squeezebox players?

I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting.

garym
2015-10-17, 14:14
I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting.

install the Wavinput plugin on your computer (that's also running LMS) and then you can stream the output of the sirius playing on computer to your Squeezebox. I played around with this years ago to try and play Wolfgang's Vault shows on my Squeezeboxes. I was never able to get it to work, but I probably gave up to early. I know others use it successfully. (In my current situation, I'm running LMS on a vortexbox that would require some messing about with to install a web browser and then siriusXM app.) I can listen to SiriusXM already in my main system via a Sonos (the only use I have for it). But it's like 1971 having to change the source on my preamp (1971: change source on preamp from "tape" to "FM" to "phono")

oldfolkie
2015-10-17, 14:34
Right. Waveinput is listed under 3rd party plugins in the LMS server settings. You need to check "Show all 3rd party plugins" to see it. Once you've added it, it becomes just another input that you can use for your Squeezebox ecosystem.

oldfolkie
2015-10-17, 14:39
By the way, garym, I'm also running my main LMS on a Vortexbox, but I'm also running another LMS server on my Windows computer, which is where I have the Waveinput plugin installed.

garym
2015-10-17, 14:43
By the way, garym, I'm also running my main LMS on a Vortexbox, but I'm also running another LMS server on my Windows computer, which is where I have the Waveinput plugin installed.

Yes, I could certainly try that, as I have a laptop win computer connected to ethernet that I use at my desk. I'll play with that a bit and see if I can make it work.

Installed and had it sort of working using "wavin:0" as a saved favorite and playing SiriusXM on web browser. Some cutting in and out and the audio sounded like it was in barrel and I could hear loud background "fuzzy" noise along with the sirius stream. Odd. I'll have to play with it a bit later.

aha. It was using my laptop's microphone as the "recorder" sound device. I changed this to stereo following these instructions:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin#Configure_Windows_Vista_.2F_7
Sound is now fine, but for some odd reason I'm getting dropouts in the stream. Everything is wired (pc running LMS and playing siriusXM, transporter, etc.). Oh well....something to play with later....

davidfox2116
2016-03-31, 14:09
I've gotten it to work via the following kludge:

- Sirius/XM online account playing on the Sirius/XM app on my iPhone
- LMS Shairtunes (Airplay) plugin
- Select desired player as an Airplay choice on my iPhone

I'm listening right now. It's not as slick as the old Sirius/XM plugin, but it works.