PDA

View Full Version : Now that Squeezebox is dead - what should I buy?

Sb42
2015-09-08, 15:38
I've got 2 Classics and a Radio, and am very happy with them. My neighbour wants to have an Internet Radio that she can move from bedroom to living room if needed - my immediate thought was a cheap tablet and a Bluetooth speaker, but can anyone suggest an inexpensive solution?

thanks for any help....

SlimChances
2015-09-08, 16:04
I've got 2 Classics and a Radio, and am very happy with them. My neighbour wants to have an Internet Radio that she can move from bedroom to living room if needed - my immediate thought was a cheap tablet and a Bluetooth speaker, but can anyone suggest an inexpensive solution?

thanks for any help....

‘The report of my death was an exaggeration’

d6jg
2015-09-09, 07:16

thanks for any help....

This has had good reviews
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102903-Interesting-potential-replacement-for-Squeezebox-radio

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zettaly-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Internet/dp/B00WR3W2TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441808301&sr=8-1&keywords=zettaly

malaugh
2015-09-09, 13:27
I have one of these. I would definitely recommend it. You can load it up with TuneIn radio to get any radio station you want, add Poweramp for mp3s, a Podkicker podcast player, and Sqeezeliite and you are good to go. Amazon keep having a sale, I have seen it as low as $130.

The only downside is the sound quality is only average.

philippe_44
2015-09-10, 04:53

thanks for any help....

A Sonos:1 is too expensive ? Or does she want something on battery with a UI ? Otherwise, there are upnp radios, Bose multi room system, Pure devices, maybe the Grace (seen bad reviews) the Samsung multi room system ... any idea of the budget ?

Sb42
2015-09-10, 05:02
There's no budget yet, but I suspect the high end will be US$200 - I like the look of the Zetally, and she could always connect the line out to the living room stereo system. However she already has an iPad and I suggested that a good Bluetooth speaker is all she needs...she's a bit of a tech-coward, and would prefer something that resembles a traditional radio....

d6jg
2015-09-10, 08:40
There's no budget yet, but I suspect the high end will be US$200 - I like the look of the Zetally, and she could always connect the line out to the living room stereo system. However she already has an iPad and I suggested that a good Bluetooth speaker is all she needs...she's a bit of a tech-coward, and would prefer something that resembles a traditional radio....

If you are going that route get an Airplay speaker rather than a Bluetooth one if she has iPad. Bluetooth is compressed / decompressed whereas Airplay is uncompressed over wi-fi (assuming of course she has wi-fi).

malaugh
2015-09-10, 12:40
However she already has an iPad and I suggested that a good Bluetooth speaker is all she needs...she's a bit of a tech-coward, and would prefer something that resembles a traditional radio....

Look at Grace Digital for a range of "Traditional" style internet radios. I have not had any experience with these but they come highly recommended in the reviews. One thing to remember is internet radio is always going to be more complex to setup that an old school push the button radio, and sometimes a simple user interface makes it more fiddly.

Sb42
2015-09-10, 20:30
If you are going that route get an Airplay speaker rather than a Bluetooth one if she has iPad. Bluetooth is compressed / decompressed whereas Airplay is uncompressed over wi-fi (assuming of course she has wi-fi).

Thanks for the heads-up, it's good to know, although I doubt that since the key value is radio I doubt that she'll notice the difference