PDA

View Full Version : Click at end of ripped track or long silences at end of tracks FIX

TheIBM
2015-09-04, 15:50
I have been attempting to resolve an annoying, very odd, rather loud 'click' at the end of some (probably only ripped) tracks which could certainly damage tweeters.

It did not appear on every track.

I have identified it is to do with the type of encoding used, in my case FLAC.

I looked a the files in a text editor and played/edited using Audacity where the 'click' is not visible!

It does not appear when played in VLC or any other media player I tried. Its specific to Squeezebox.

Have not identified the source but it was probably the windozzzz app 'EAC' (I stupidly didn't use my Linux machine!)

There was no similarities or common code I could discern between the various files. It was going to be a massive task going through every file manually so I hit upon the following very quick, OK admittedly slightly sledgehammer solution: But what the hell it worked.

After editing the file I discovered if I clipped the last second off the end of the file the click vanished so I experimented and discovered by clipping the last 10 bytes off the end of the track the issue resolved. It made zero difference to the playing the track as 10 bytes is a fraction of a second in the silence section.

Using the following 'find' and 'truncate' commands in a BASH shell (Linux) I recursively clipped all tracks in my FLAC collection. Windozzzz users will find similar code out there that does the same thing. You hope!

The command: userwithwritepermissions@yourvault#> find "/path/to/music/folder" -type f -name "*.flac" -exec truncate -s -10 {} +

eg: #> find /media/Music/flac -type f -name "*.flac" -exec truncate -s -10 {} +

If you really want to be a smart@rse then you could re-run the command and add 10 bytes back on as a filler, change -10 to +10.

DO however be careful. Linux has superpowers and is a formidable weapon in the hands of the unwary. #>sudo rm -R / and its adiós muchacha

Wirrunna
2015-09-04, 22:38
As a wearisome Australian, I had the same problem years ago, as far as I remember it was caused by a fault in an early version of MusicIP archiving analysis to tags that resulted in the last piece of a flac file being a few samples short. I found that dbPoweramp could fix the problem by converting the file from flac to flac. I used the opportunity to go to flac(8) and save a bit of disc space. I suspect that using Foobar to convert flac to flac would also be worth trying if you haven't got dbPoweramp.
If you saved some tracks with the clicks I would be interested in hearing if a flac to flac conversion eliminates the click.

TheIBM
2015-09-05, 19:10
I've got duplicates of the files so I'll have a gander with one that hasn't been truncated if I get time. I've changed my ripping methods so the issue doesn't occur now so it's sort of a redundant exercise in any case.

atrocity
2015-09-08, 08:09
Have not identified the source but it was probably the windozzzz app 'EAC' (I stupidly didn't use my Linux machine!)

I'm far from a Windows apologist, but unless there's some incredibly screwed up configuration, EAC is most certainly not creating botched files.

Has anyone yet come up with a Linux ripper that consults the AccurateRip database? It would be nice to see that finally happen.

Mnyb
2015-09-08, 09:00
Was it not mediaval cue splitter that could create problems ?? If one uses that to separate downloads to separate tracks

Julf
2015-09-08, 09:25
Has anyone yet come up with a Linux ripper that consults the AccurateRip database? It would be nice to see that finally happen.

Morituri (http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/), since at least 2009...

atrocity
2015-09-09, 07:43
Morituri (http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/), since at least 2009...

2009?!?! I didn't realize it had been THAT long since I'd looked! Thank you for the link!

TheIBM
2015-09-09, 14:12
Was it not mediaval cue splitter that could create problems ?? If one uses that to separate downloads to separate tracks

Yes, quite possibly you could be right. Good call. I could be totally wrong about EAC. As my methods have changed it will be a bit of messing to reproduce.

As for Linux and a CDDB ripper Audax does this but there are also command line scripts out there.