PDA

View Full Version : Duet without controller

4lex
2015-08-27, 22:04
The Duet player part of my 7 node LMS setup (with all others being RPis) is the least reliable by a stretch. If the controller runs out of batteries the duet player loses connectivity. I'd sooner not have the controller at all frankly, wondering if I can make it work without. The player is hardwired to my switch and has a fixed ip address > the server's IP address. I've nearly binned it a number of times, but I do like that it has a digital output. What to do?

callesoroe
2015-08-28, 00:08
The Duet player part of my 7 node LMS setup (with all others being RPis) is the least reliable by a stretch. If the controller runs out of batteries the duet player loses connectivity. I'd sooner not have the controller at all frankly, wondering if I can make it work without. The player is hardwired to my switch and has a fixed ip address > the server's IP address. I've nearly binned it a number of times, but I do like that it has a digital output. What to do?

This is odd ? The receiver should not loose connection if it runs out of batteries ? My receivers play fine even with controller turned off. It is only needed during setup.

DJanGo
2015-08-28, 13:56
The player is hardwired to my switch and has a fixed ip address > the server's IP address.

What did you mean by this line?

toby10
2015-08-29, 00:23
..... If the controller runs out of batteries the duet player loses connectivity.

Something is wrong with your setup if this is happening. Many use player (Receiver) by itself absent any Controller, or use Controller only for player setup.
There are numerous ways of controlling player once setup (iPhone, Android, web UI, software player, tablet, another player, etc....).

bpa
2015-08-29, 02:35
I'd sooner not have the controller at all frankly, wondering if I can make it work without.

Use Net::UDAP to configure receiver without controller - it is a little bit complicated to setup especially if your LMS is on Windows but it removes dependency on the controller.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?57861-Net-UDAP-SqueezeBox-Receiver-configuration-tool
See http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP/trac/wiki/GettingStarted

malaugh
2015-08-29, 08:08
This seems wrong. My setup has a duet and two devices using squeezeplay. I can control any of the devices either with my duet controller or the squeezer app on my phone.

epoch1970
2015-08-29, 09:11
What did you mean by this line?

The OP means he has the Receiver wired and the Controller is wireless. What we don't know is if the Receiver creates its own wifi network (for the Controller to connect to) or if the Controller uses the home wifi network.
I have used the 1st option in my days: wired Receiver with ad-hoc network for the Controller. Reliability was poor, not to say maddening at times.
Wired receiver + Controller on home wifi was a better working configuration (but I couldn't use that at that time.)

(Also to everyone using static addresses, consider using DHCP with MAC address-based IP reservation and infinite (or long) lease. Contrary to people the DHCP server cannot go wrong when it handles network details. Plus the DHCP server provides a single point of administration. It's the same as manual IP, except it's easier and more reliable.)

Mnyb
2015-08-29, 10:58
The receiver itself has some DHCP issues in some rare configurations ( see bugzilla about that ) .

If you use static IP anyway or for other reasons too ( I do 2 of my players and the server connect directly to switches so I can fudge with my router without losing local music ) .

Use the router IP as DNS when setting up static IP , most router do DNS forwarding ,so when you or your ISP changes DNS you still don't have to enter any settings in the player .

Mac adress notice that duet has two one for receiver and one for the controller ! Btw don't use Mac adress filtering ( only allow certain Mac ) it only ads confusion not safety and don't limit the amount of connected devices , you will forget that you ever did these settings 3 years later when you add something new :) btw don't hide SSID either it does not really work and does not add safety .

DJanGo
2015-08-29, 11:12
The OP means he has the Receiver wired and the Controller is wireless. What we don't know is if the Receiver creates its own wifi network (for the Controller to connect to) or if the Controller uses the home wifi network.

Hmmm i asked the :mad:P, but thanks i never seen or had a duet and was thinking the RemoteController has a RJ45 in the Front....

Sometimes i really :mad:

The player is hardwired to my switch and has a fixed ip address > the server's IP address
Is the Player IP the same as the one thats used by the server?

Mnyb
2015-08-29, 11:24
Is the Player IP the same as the one thats used by the server?

That would be really bad , can it actually work at all ? In any shape or form , would it not be 100% dysfunctional ?

Other thoughts if you use static IP ( not reserved DCHP in router ) you should exclude these addresses ( adress range ) from the DHCP pool , if your router does not have this function don't use static IP you will get random IP conflicts now and then .

DJanGo
2015-08-29, 11:42
That would be really bad , can it actually work at all ?
Since i had a Duet and do little know about the spanning Adhock Wlan - it can "run" as long the Remote Acts as a Router between ......
And if the remote is off ..... (would match his description)

But thats talking about chickeneggs they in the Chicken right now.

d6jg
2015-08-30, 03:29
First rule of networking. Check the cables.
OP says Duet is wired. Can it be pinged from another wired machine?
What is the server IP and what's the Duet's wired IP?

Mnyb
2015-08-30, 10:56
First rule of networking. Check the cables.
OP says Duet is wired. Can it be pinged from another wired machine?
What is the server IP and what's the Duet's wired IP?

Yes and actualy check that it really is wired, if it was previusly on wifi at some piont in it's life just sticking a cable in to it does not make it wired . You have to redo the setup .