PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Controller without Receiver?

ternyk
2015-08-25, 22:44
Hi,
I can buy Squeezebox Controller remote but don't have any other Logitech's devices. Is it possible to use it with LMS on Linux + squeezelite? Or if not is there any ways to emulate Squeezebox Receiver with e.g lirc?

epoch1970
2015-08-26, 01:06
You can but I wouldn't do that. The receiver part of the Duet was quickly obsoleted by apps running on smartphones. Its hardware was just ok, nothing special. Battery life is rather short even with good wifi signal, the screen is small and low resolution and the feel of the rotary control button is nothing to write home about IMHO.

Get iPeng on iPod/iPhone/iPad (or another app for your mobile OS) and control your software player through LMS.
In addition I think squeezelite can be controlled via IR, but I don't know the best solution for this.

d6jg
2015-08-26, 01:16
You can but I wouldn't do that. The receiver part of the Duet was quickly obsoleted by apps running on smartphones. Its hardware was just ok, nothing special. Battery life is rather short even with good wifi signal, the screen is small and low resolution and the feel of the rotary control button is nothing to write home about IMHO.

Get iPeng on iPod/iPhone/iPad (or another app for your mobile OS) and control your software player through LMS.
In addition I think squeezelite can be controlled via IR, but I don't know the best solution for this.

+1
The controller is clunky in comparison to iPeng etc
If you are just looking for a means of testing then a cheap option is a RaspberryPi running PiCoreplayer & Jivelite which will give you control via an attached keyboard as well as via iPeng.
You will need LMS installed somewhere as well which could be somnething easy like Vortexbox with a local player if the PC has a sound card (squeezelite) which you can also control via iPeng etc

If you explain a bit more what it is you want to do you will get a better answer.

callesoroe
2015-08-26, 02:16
+1
The controller is clunky in comparison to iPeng etc
If you are just looking for a means of testing then a cheap option is a RaspberryPi running PiCoreplayer & Jivelite which will give you control via an attached keyboard as well as via iPeng.
You will need LMS installed somewhere as well which could be somnething easy like Vortexbox with a local player if the PC has a sound card (squeezelite) which you can also control via iPeng etc

If you explain a bit more what it is you want to do you will get a better answer.

Yes it is a bit clunky. But I must admit that I still use mine occasionally. It has one big advantage. The volume control buttons on it. If you just want to adjust volume, then it is easy just to grab the
controller and hit the volume button. This is when iPeng is not started on my iPad.

ternyk
2015-08-26, 03:03
Thanks all for a quick reponse! OK. I'll not buy it. I think that I could save my time with it...
So now my plans are: LMS + "Squeezelite with squeezeslave GUI" (https://github.com/fpasteau/squeezelite) + OLED 4x20 lcd (lcdproc) + HP MCE Remote (lirc) - all installed on my home mini pc (nas/htpc).
I have just tested it with a simulated lcd (curses) and lcd gui works excelent for me!

Yes, I know that I can use an Android app to control LMS but I don't think it would be comfortable for me. I prefer oldshool lcd/vfd controller with a simple irda remote (battery life!).

Another option for me is MPD but I found that there is no "Squeezelite with squeezeslave GUI" comparable project: most of the mpd<->lcd project are just for showing status but not for choosing tracks etc.

d6jg
2015-08-26, 03:48
Thanks all for a quick reponse! OK. I'll not buy it. I think that I could save my time with it...
So now my plans are: LMS + "Squeezelite with squeezeslave GUI" (https://github.com/fpasteau/squeezelite) + OLED 4x20 lcd (lcdproc) + HP MCE Remote (lirc) - all installed on my home mini pc (nas/htpc).
I have just tested it with a simulated lcd (curses) and lcd gui works excelent for me!

Yes, I know that I can use an Android app to control LMS but I don't think it would be comfortable for me. I prefer oldshool lcd/vfd controller with a simple irda remote (battery life!).

Another option for me is MPD but I found that there is no "Squeezelite with squeezeslave GUI" comparable project: most of the mpd<->lcd project are just for showing status but not for choosing tracks etc.

Before you go too far have a read in the Linux section about piCorePlayer + Jivelite + flirc.
I say this because in the longer term you may be better advised to run LMS (without a player) on the nas/htpc and players on other hardware, it depends what else the nas/htpc is trying to do.
Don't under estimate the Raspberry Pi as a player - it's cheap but very good. The piCorePlayer image is particularly good as it loads entirely into RAM so is largely immune from sudden power loss unlike othe Pi squeezelite players.

Pascal Hibon
2015-08-26, 04:04
With a PI (or other small computer solution) you have the option to use a FLIRC dongle (https://flirc.tv/).
With that dongle you have the option of using a regular IR remote or even a universal IR remote. I use this on one of my Wandboards and it works great.

ternyk
2015-08-26, 04:22
Before you go too far have a read in the Linux section about piCorePlayer + Jivelite + flirc.
I say this because in the longer term you may be better advised to run LMS (without a player) on the nas/htpc and players on other hardware, it depends what else the nas/htpc is trying to do.
Don't under estimate the Raspberry Pi as a player - it's cheap but very good. The piCorePlayer image is particularly good as it loads entirely into RAM so is largely immune from sudden power loss unlike othe Pi squeezelite players.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have read about piCorePlayer and Jivelite and it would be perfect for me but it needs a graphics screen which I'm trying to avoid - I don't want any bright screens (especialy TV) while listening to music. Currently on my mini PC I have Kodi installed and it has enough power to run also LMS.
I have also Raspberry Pi but... currently I don't use it - it was too slow to drive Kodi (even with OpenElec) and now PC is super fast comparing to it. Using Raspberry Pi just for playing music is not needed in my configuration as my PC can do it as well.

ternyk
2015-08-26, 04:26
With a PI (or other small computer solution) you have the option to use a FLIRC dongle (https://flirc.tv/).
With that dongle you have the option of using a regular IR remote or even a universal IR remote. I use this on one of my Wandboards and it works great.

Thanks. The device is fine but with lirc and my remote + receiver I can have the same functionality.

Greg Erskine
2015-08-26, 04:50
Thanks. The device is fine but with lirc and my remote + receiver I can have the same functionality.

hi ternyk,

Thanks for starting this thread.

It just points out the how versatile the Squeezebox/LMS environment is. Thanks to Slimdevices, Logitech and the third party developers there are hundreds of combinations that work.

There is no "best" option, just pick the one you like the most!

regards
Greg

malaugh
2015-09-01, 12:12
I use squeezer on my phone and have also duet. I much prefer using the duet controller to the phone. Maybe I am just used to it, but it seems much easier to navigate with the "hard" scroll wheel than a touch screen, and I like the easy to find and use track forward/back and pause keys. I do not know if all apps do this but squeezer looses connection when you do not use it for a while. So if you want to change the volume, you have to swipe to unlock the phone, wait a couple of seconds for it to find LMS again, then you can adjust the volume. I do agree that the battery life is bad.

spedinfargo
2015-09-08, 18:34
I use squeezer on my phone and have also duet. I much prefer using the duet controller to the phone. Maybe I am just used to it, but it seems much easier to navigate with the "hard" scroll wheel than a touch screen, and I like the easy to find and use track forward/back and pause keys. I do not know if all apps do this but squeezer looses connection when you do not use it for a while. So if you want to change the volume, you have to swipe to unlock the phone, wait a couple of seconds for it to find LMS again, then you can adjust the volume. I do agree that the battery life is bad.

It's also the best bet for the "non-power-user" out there. I put Ipeng on my wife's phone but she doesn't have any interest in it. She can grab the controller and get done what she needs to get done much more quickly.