PDA

View Full Version : LMS ON/OFF function

Wolfy
2015-08-05, 05:44
Hi,

I have noticed that on the LMS web page I am able to turn a device on or off with the button in the upper right corner.
I am wondering if the button dose anything or why it is there.
I am using a LMS server and have a Raspberry PI hooked up over the network running SqueezePlug. when i pres the "ON/OFF" button nothing happens.
Dose any one know what it dose and if it is possible to use the function some other way.

philippe_44
2015-08-05, 06:10
Hi,

I have noticed that on the LMS web page I am able to turn a device on or off with the button in the upper right corner.
I am wondering if the button dose anything or why it is there.
I am using a LMS server and have a Raspberry PI hooked up over the network running SqueezePlug. when i pres the "ON/OFF" button nothing happens.
Dose any one know what it dose and if it is possible to use the function some other way.

If the player is declared as squeezelite, LMS sends an 'aude' message, which is audio-enable. Squeezelite uses if to turn spdif on or off

Wolfy
2015-08-05, 06:23
Okey, is there a way to "reuse" that command? as in it will turn my amplifier that is hooked up on or off?
The Raspberry dose not use much power but a amplifier uses allot more.
I would like a easy way of turning my amp on when playing and of when not.

pippin
2015-08-05, 06:30
There are plugins for that, depends on your amp. A general solution could be the IRBlaster plugin

philippe_44
2015-08-05, 06:30
Okey, is there a way to "reuse" that command? as in it will turn my amplifier that is hooked up on or off?

If you are willing to re-compile squeezelite, it is pretty easy. Open slimproto.c, search for 'process_aude' and put here your code that can (e.g.) trigger a raspi GPIO that will control a switch - it is possible that some others have already done something similar.

silopolis
2015-10-11, 09:40
Hi,

If you are willing to re-compile squeezelite, it is pretty easy. Open slimproto.c, search for 'process_aude' and put here your code that can (e.g.) trigger a raspi GPIO that will control a switch - it is possible that some others have already done something similar.

Thank you for this tip !
An external command hook placeholder and the corresponding command line switch would be awesome... :-)

Bests

Jeff07971
2015-10-11, 09:43

Do you use a DAC with your Raspberry PI ?

silopolis
2015-10-11, 09:51
Can't tell for the OP, but AFAIC, yes.
I use an Audiophonics I2S Sabre 9023 with TCXO.

Envoyé de mon A0001 en utilisant Tapatalk

Jeff07971
2015-10-11, 10:02
Can't tell for the OP, but AFAIC, yes.
I use an Audiophonics I2S Sabre 9023 with TCXO.

Envoyé de mon A0001 en utilisant Tapatalk

Well I use a HifiBerry DAC+ which has an LED to show when the output is enabled (not sure if yours does)

I take the output that runs the LED and useit to fire an SSR which powers up my amp.

This works as you would like, however

I then also use the "Powesave" LMS plugin which turns the player off after a given time of "stop" or "Pause"

In this way my amp turns on at player power on and off 15 mins (in my case) after cessation of music (Except in the case of the alarm for some reason, it powers down at alarm stop or pause immeadiately)

If you use Squeezebox Classic then using PowerSwitchIII and an SSR does the same.

gregklanderman
2015-10-14, 11:48
I take the output that runs the LED and useit to fire an SSR which powers up my amp.

Hi Jeff, that sounds great, would you mind sharing some more details? What SSR and amp are you using?

I've had several slim devices (SB1, SB2, 2 Booms) for many years and am just starting to think about building a multi-room system (in wall/ceiling) at our new house using Raspberry Pi's, starting with the kitchen zone.

I was planning to use the HifiBerry DAC+. Is there any reason to get a 2B or will the B+ be sufficient? I will run the server separately, and use ethernet.

Any advice on amps and in-ceiling speakers for kitchen?

I would like the amp on/off feature as you describe.

I would like to have a wall mount volume control, it looks like there's some info on the hifiberry forums but no standard solution:

https://www.hifiberry.com/forums/topic/hardware-volume-control/
https://www.hifiberry.com/forums/topic/woodware/

Ideally my wife would like to be able to switch between the squeezebox input and whatever is on the tv in the adjacent room (monitor output of pre-amp). If you have thoughts on how to accomplish that it would be most appreciated. If I can figure out the volume control, I expect I could also have a pushbutton that toggles between two inputs (and possibly off), but then I need a pre-amp that can be controlled to switch inputs somehow.

thank you
Greg

Jeff07971
2015-10-14, 13:51
Hi Jeff, that sounds great, would you mind sharing some more details? What SSR and amp are you using?

I've had several slim devices (SB1, SB2, 2 Booms) for many years and am just starting to think about building a multi-room system (in wall/ceiling) at our new house using Raspberry Pi's, starting with the kitchen zone.

I was planning to use the HifiBerry DAC+. Is there any reason to get a 2B or will the B+ be sufficient? I will run the server separately, and use ethernet.

Any advice on amps and in-ceiling speakers for kitchen?

I would like the amp on/off feature as you describe.

I would like to have a wall mount volume control, it looks like there's some info on the hifiberry forums but no standard solution:

https://www.hifiberry.com/forums/topic/hardware-volume-control/
https://www.hifiberry.com/forums/topic/woodware/

Ideally my wife would like to be able to switch between the squeezebox input and whatever is on the tv in the adjacent room (monitor output of pre-amp). If you have thoughts on how to accomplish that it would be most appreciated. If I can figure out the volume control, I expect I could also have a pushbutton that toggles between two inputs (and possibly off), but then I need a pre-amp that can be controlled to switch inputs somehow.

thank you
Greg

Hi Greg,

First of all my disclaimer !
You do any of this totally at your own risk a good knowledge of mains wiring practices and high voltage workings is nessesary for your own safety.
If you do not posess these skills do not try any of this.
Modifying your Hifiberry DAC+ like this will obviously void the warranty.

Having said that... :)

I have 3 systems that power on their poweramps via signals from the "squeeze player"

1. Bathroom. Squeezebox Classic to HifiMediy T2 (with analogue PSU (300VA Toroid))

2. Bedroom. RPi2 running piCorePlayer with HifiBerry DAC+ to HifiMediy T2 (with SMPS300 PSU) all in one case

3. Lounge. RPi2 running piCorePlayer with HifiBerry DAC+ to HifiMediy T2 (with SMPS300 PSU) all in one case

System 1 uses a LMS plugin called Powerswitch III to enable an SSR via the headphone output.

http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm#powerswitchii
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?92432-Squeezebox-Touch-and-Power-Switch-II

Systems 2 and 3 use a modified Hifiberry DAC+ to enable the SSR

The DAC+ has an LED (D1) to indicate that the output is active I user 1/0.4 wire soldered into the vias circled in RED these two wire then go to the SSR

The picture below shows the SSR's I have used, on the left is a Crydom 25A SSR these are around £40 each and rather OTT for this job.
I only used the Crydoms as I had them to hand in my workplace, in unit 1 this have run fine for around 10 years.

On the right is (almost certainly a fake) FOTEK 25A SSR these are £2-£3 on fleabay these have worked fine on units 2 and 3 for many months now.

See this though http://www.instructables.com/id/The-inner-workings-of-Counterfeit-FOTEK-SSRs/

Sorry but as for the volume controls etc I use apps and PC to control mine so cant really help

It might be possible to power a signal switching relay with the power control (with suitable isolation of course)

gregklanderman
2015-10-14, 17:00
Thank you for all the great info Jeff! It may take me a bit to digest it all and get back to you with additional questions. It looks like HifiMediy has a number of amps in different sizes and load impedances. Do you have the regular or MCAP ones? Do they need any special cooling? Do you have everything boxed up and hidden in the wall or what? What speakers are you using? In wall/ceiling?

So the control side of the SSR is just tapped off the LED on the DAC+, and then switches power to the PSU which feeds the amp? And you're using the auto-off plugin too.

The other option Phillippe mentioned, triggering a raspi GPIO to control a switch looks fine too, I would just have to find an appropriate switch. Modifying and recompiling squeezelite should be no trouble.

Thanks!

Jeff07971
2015-10-15, 01:35
Thank you for all the great info Jeff! It may take me a bit to digest it all and get back to you with additional questions. It looks like HifiMediy has a number of amps in different sizes and load impedances. Do you have the regular or MCAP ones? Do they need any special cooling? Do you have everything boxed up and hidden in the wall or what? What speakers are you using? In wall/ceiling?

So the control side of the SSR is just tapped off the LED on the DAC+, and then switches power to the PSU which feeds the amp? And you're using the auto-off plugin too.

The other option Phillippe mentioned, triggering a raspi GPIO to control a switch looks fine too, I would just have to find an appropriate switch. Modifying and recompiling squeezelite should be no trouble.

Thanks!

Yeah I like the hifimediy amps they sound good even with some high end speakers and (even if I say so myself) slightly gold plated ears.

Unit 1 is in the basment attached to a floor beam, has been many years so don't remember wether this is an mcap version or not.
This one has a 300VA Toriod, amp and ssr in a RS Steel box its a bit of a squeeze (!)
The T2 heatsink is completely enclosed in the box and the box is sealed.
The T2's seem to run quite warm even quiescing (about 65-70 C on the heatsink using my engineers finger) but do not seem to get much warmer even when working quite hard. I have not had any reliability issues at all.
Speakers on this system are KEF Ci160Q's in the drop ceiling which sound really good while lying in the bath !

Units 2 and 3 are in standard cases these have inside:-
5V 1 Amp SMPSU (For Pi) supplies the Pi via a 1A fuse to the yellow circled inputs on the DAC+ picture
30V 300W SMPSU
Raspberry Pi 2 With PiCorePlayer
DAC+
HifiMeDiy T2 MCAP
Fotek SSR
This is even more of a squeeze !!
The T2 heatsink is completely enclosed in the box and the box is sealed.
The T2's seem to run quite warm even quiescing (about 65-70 C on the heatsink using my engineers finger) but do not seem to get much warmer even when working quite hard. I have not had any reliability issues at all.
2 and 3 have HDMI out and FLIRC's for visualisation and local control (not used often)
Speakers are KEF 102/2 and 101/3

Correct, GPIO4 on the PCM5122 feeds the LED on the DAC+ board I hijack this (before the current limit resistor (the ssr is constant current)) to power the SSR. In this way the control is software independent if the output is enabled the power amp switches on, this allows the use of any RPi audio software which supports the DAC+ (I use piCorePlayer which I have found to be excellent and immune from switch off corruption)

gregklanderman
2015-10-15, 09:58
Great info, thank you so much Jeff!

thoughts on RPi B+ vs 2B? slimserver will run elsewhere.

do you think the MCAP is overkill on those amps for an in-ceiling kitchen system?

can you point me to some case options?

can you post a photo of the inside of one of your RPi systems (unit 2/3)?

I think I've got enough info from here and the hifiberry forum that I can just about figure this all out, just would like to find a way to switch between 2 inputs to the amp programatically from the RPi..

thanks!
Greg

Jeff07971
2015-10-16, 15:47
Great info, thank you so much Jeff!

thoughts on RPi B+ vs 2B? slimserver will run elsewhere.

do you think the MCAP is overkill on those amps for an in-ceiling kitchen system?

can you point me to some case options?

can you post a photo of the inside of one of your RPi systems (unit 2/3)?

I think I've got enough info from here and the hifiberry forum that I can just about figure this all out, just would like to find a way to switch between 2 inputs to the amp programatically from the RPi..

thanks!
Greg

I would have thought that the B+ would be adequate especially if you do not use Jivelite, not really a question for me as I only use 2B's for audio.

My electronics engineer side says the mcap is overkill BUT its like £3 more soo....... I can say thought that the MCAP T2 do sound really good

Cases options are many, get the boards and components you want to use and come to a size you are comfortable with !
Ebay has many from China, another option is Modushop http://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=common/home nice and can machine for you if you're not of that inclination.

I'll get you a photo if I get time to disassemble !

gregklanderman
2015-10-19, 10:58
Thanks again Jeff, I was busy all weekend but hopefully can get all the parts I need to start playing with this ordered tonight and go from there. I may reach out again once it all comes in.. is it best to just follow-up on this thread? Somehow I thought the mcap was like double the price, but I see at least on the T2 it's not much more, though those ones are out of stock currently.. Anyway I'll be in touch, thank you!

gregklanderman
2015-10-21, 07:18
Hi Jeff, can you give me a rough idea the dimensions of your unit 2/3 cases? Just so I have an idea if two of them will likely fit in the space I'm thinking of stuffing them... thanks!

gregklanderman
2015-10-21, 07:33
One more question Jeff, looks like you used the 30V 300W SMPSU from hifimediy.com? How about the 5V 1 Amp SMPSU for the RPi? You also used a bare board one inside the box rather than a packaged one outside?

Jeff07971
2015-10-21, 08:19
One more question Jeff, looks like you used the 30V 300W SMPSU from hifimediy.com? How about the 5V 1 Amp SMPSU for the RPi? You also used a bare board one inside the box rather than a packaged one outside?

The cases for 2/3 were around 220x220x60mm I got them on ebay from China, there're OK but quality is not good. Cant find the link for them.
I am looking for a better one for my next system (A 300 Wpc system) probably from MODU despite the silly carriage.

The PSU for the Pi was from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301606635626?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=600489614568&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again from China but his time suprisingly good quality, especially at the price, and runs cool. Only use plastic stand offs and screws though, the mounting holes are FAR too close to Live parts.

gregklanderman
2015-10-21, 08:48
thank you! I don't see that PS on US ebay.com but should be able to find something..

Jeff07971
2015-10-21, 09:07
thank you! I don't see that PS on US ebay.com but should be able to find something..

BTW Yes the 300W PSU was from Hifimediy made by http://connexelectronic.com/ though

Jeff07971
2015-11-16, 05:53
As promised

gregklanderman
2016-02-01, 17:15
thank you Jeff, only just saw this now, it was a very busy fall and I kinda stopped looking at the forums... I'm hoping to get back to my house audio project in the next few months, will let you know how it goes..