PDA

View Full Version : Remote access via my Android phone - How?

doctor_big
2015-07-21, 12:54
Hi there,

Would it be possible for someone to walk me through how I can stream music from LMS at my home to my Android cell phone? My internet connection is via cable, so I'm not certain if I have a static IP address, so that might be a challenge. But beyond that, what settings do I have to enable on my router, and how do I set up my phone so that I can both use it as a remote at home, and a client when on the go?

Thanks, in advance,
Jason

pippin
2015-07-21, 17:12
I don't have a guide for Android but one for iPeng. Using it with Android players (SB Player, SqueezePlayer) should be similar.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/known-issues/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/
I would prefer to use a VPN, btw, but don't ask me how that works on Android.

doctor_big
2015-07-21, 18:24
I don't have a guide for Android but one for iPeng. Using it with Android players (SB Player, SqueezePlayer) should be similar.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/known-issues/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/
I would prefer to use a VPN, btw, but don't ask me how that works on Android.
Wow! That's fantastic, pippin! A bit complex for a crusty COBOL programmer, but I'll digest it for a few days and figure it out.

Thanks again,
Jason

ismarketing
2015-07-24, 08:22
Google Music works great for out of home listening. A quick software install on your home machine, and everything you have (up to 50,000 tracks) is available anywhere for free.

d6jg
2015-07-25, 06:34
Google Music works great for out of home listening. A quick software install on your home machine, and everything you have (up to 50,000 tracks) is available anywhere for free.

Google Music is indeed a great free backup service for your LMS but is limited to MP3.
Pippin's guide for iPhones can easily be applied to an Android. I concur that a VPN is best - site to site if you can as that lets you have multiple devices on your remote site - a player and a controller for example. A client based VPN will only see the single remote device that's making the connection.
iPeng has bit rate limiting settings that work well with remote streaming but not sure whether the Android players have such options. Probably a case of trial and error.

pippin
2015-07-25, 07:18
If they don't, you can always use LMS's own setting through the web interface. iPeng just doesn't use that because it automatically switches the bitrate limiting setting based on whether you are on cellular or WiFi