PDA

View Full Version : Least maintance, most stable server setup regardless of OS?

SyrinxGC
2015-07-21, 01:41
I am running LMS and having my so far 30.000 files of music on my desktop computer - a machine used mostly for photo/video editing browsing, downloading and office use.
Regularly I find that I have to reset the PC for Squeezebox to work properly. If I don't, very often internet radio hangs and I can't access the library.

Is there a better hardware system available that requires less maintenance that doesn't cost too much.
I am not sure how much hardware is required for stable running system.

Ideally it would just be a question of moving my internal music harddrive from one box to another and then install the server.
It doesn't have to be Windows - or OSX.

mherger
2015-07-21, 01:48
> Regularly I find that I have to reset the PC for Squeezebox to work
> properly. If I don't, very often internet radio hangs and I can't access
> the library.

What LMS version are you running? There has been a long-standing issue
where LMS would not recover from temporary network problems. But I
hopefully have fixed this for good in the nightlies (7.7.6, 7.8.1 or 7.9).

And would you really have to restart the computer? Wouldn't restarting
LMS be all you'd need?

--

Michael

SyrinxGC
2015-07-21, 03:07
> Regularly I find that I have to reset the PC for Squeezebox to work
> properly. If I don't, very often internet radio hangs and I can't access
> the library.

What LMS version are you running? There has been a long-standing issue
where LMS would not recover from temporary network problems. But I
hopefully have fixed this for good in the nightlies (7.7.6, 7.8.1 or 7.9).

And would you really have to restart the computer? Wouldn't restarting
LMS be all you'd need?

--

Michael

Hmmm - seems like I have some updating to do. My version is: V.7.7.5 - 1416570306

It may be enough to restart the server - but the problem is to have to take action at all.
I wasn't really blaming the LMS software - I was more suspecting my Windows 7/64 computer to be the culprit.
That is why I am wondering if some other hardware setup dedicated to LMS only would give me a system where the only mainetance would be adding new music :)

garym
2015-07-21, 05:34
your win7 setup should be trouble free. The problem you describe is not typical and may be a symptom of something else in your network/PC. That said, I have a vortexbox server (linux) running LMS 7.8. It runs 24/7 year after year. I probably reboot it once every 4 to 6 weeks, but this is because I'm updating something. But I also have LMS running on my work PC (win7(64), and it runs 24/7 for weeks at a time, only rebooting when I have certain windows updates. So in both cases, LMS is not causing any issue requiring restarts.

agillis
2015-07-21, 07:51
You could always build or purchase a VortexBox. Having a dedicated machine to run LMS seems to work the best. I have customers with 450K tracks and no problems.

SyrinxGC
2015-07-21, 12:45
You could always build or purchase a VortexBox. Having a dedicated machine to run LMS seems to work the best. I have customers with 450K tracks and no problems.

Thanks!
Very interesting. I would like to build one.
Can I base it on an outdated PC?
Where can I find building instructions and part lists if I have to build from scratch?

SyrinxGC
2015-07-21, 12:47
your win7 setup should be trouble free. The problem you describe is not typical and may be a symptom of something else in your network/PC. That said, I have a vortexbox server (linux) running LMS 7.8. It runs 24/7 year after year. I probably reboot it once every 4 to 6 weeks, but this is because I'm updating something. But I also have LMS running on my work PC (win7(64), and it runs 24/7 for weeks at a time, only rebooting when I have certain windows updates. So in both cases, LMS is not causing any issue requiring restarts.

I may have to reinstall windows and update the LMS software. Being lazy I will probably wait for the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade and clean up the system then.

The VortexBox sounds interesting. Expensive?

Apesbrain
2015-07-21, 14:00
The VortexBox sounds interesting. Expensive?
You can pick up a refurbished dual-core 2GB desktop PC on Newegg.com for under $100:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096%204016&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

VortexBox software is a free download:
http://vortexbox.org/downloads

Or you can buy a server ready to go:
http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/Standard-VortexBox-Appliance_c3.htm