PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of decoder data memory

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-19, 20:34
I've been running a Slim system since 2006 using a Mac Mini as server (recently upgraded) to multiple SB3s, Duet and Transporter. The Transporter feeds my 5.1 system and I've NEVER had a problem until tonight when I wanted to listen to a playlist consisting of multiple DTS encoded files, converted to FLAC.

Everything we OK until I got to specific files from an album where ANY of the files from that album would STOP playback. THe ONLY way to get things to play again was pulling power from the Transporter while holding down '1' on the remote... restting Xilinx... made no difference. Once I hit the files I wanted to play before, everything would stop and give me the error "RAN OUT OF DECODER DATA MEMORY".

I have NEVER seen this error before and KNOW that I've listened to the DTS encoded FLAC files before.

Any ideas? These files have played before WITHOUT ISSUE.

Thanks

Mac Mini 2.6GHz i7
OS 10.10.4
16GB RAM
Slim Server v7.9.0, 1427865259, Thu Apr 2 21:01:28 PDT 2015
even though I've installed as late as 7.9.0-1436858598 with no difference.

atrocity
2015-07-20, 07:33
Any ideas? These files have played before WITHOUT ISSUE.

Is it only the Transporter that doesn't want to play the DTS tracks?

Can you use the FLAC command line to test the files in question for corruption? (Sorry, I can't remember the command, but it should be easy enough to look up.)

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-20, 07:41
Is it only the Transporter that doesn't want to play the DTS tracks?

Can you use the FLAC command line to test the files in question for corruption? (Sorry, I can't remember the command, but it should be easy enough to look up.)

The transporter is the only device hooked up to my 5.1 receiver. I guess I could try with an SB3. I can also convert the FLAC files back to WAV and import into ProTools, where I have both a DTS and Dolby Digital decoder plugin.

I'll look for the command line, too.

Thanks for the reply...

atrocity
2015-07-20, 08:15
The transporter is the only device hooked up to my 5.1 receiver.

But even just getting white noise (or not turning on your amp at all) would let you test if other players can access the files without blowing up.

In theory, any player should "see" DTS in a FLAC container as just any other FLAC, so I'd want to first rule out file corruption as the cause of the trouble.

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-20, 12:53
Yup, will try later tonight. Thanks...

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-20, 18:17
Atrocity, same issue with SB3... Same ERROR on screen, in fact I'll try restoring FLAC files from a backup set.

atrocity
2015-07-20, 19:33
Atrocity, same issue with SB3... Same ERROR on screen, in fact I'll try restoring FLAC files from a backup set.

If you still have trouble, try the FLAC test command:

flac -t "<File to Test>.flac"

You might have to prepend the directory with the FLAC executable, e.g.:

C:\flac\flac -t "<File to Test>.flac"

If nothing is wrong with the file, the command should return:

<File to Test>.flac: ok

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-21, 17:52
I'm on a Mac, so there isn't a c:\. Can I run this in the Mac Terminal?

atrocity
2015-07-21, 19:31
I'm on a Mac, so there isn't a c:\. Can I run this in the Mac Terminal?

As long as FLAC is installed, you should be able to. I do it in Linux all the time. I can't remember if I had to specifically install FLAC, if it's just standard with Ubuntu or if installing LMS also installed FLAC.

https://xiph.org/flac/download.html makes it look like http://xact.scottcbrown.org/ might be useful.

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-21, 20:41
Found the effected files on my backup set and restored them from over 4-years ago. They do the same thing, which is weird because I'm SURE I've played them... maybe not. No other files, so far, are doing this.

Thanks for the replies... I may still try the script.

Eric Seaberg
2015-07-21, 21:56
I converted the FLAC back to WAV and went to import, what I thought would be a DTS encoded file. It was a 6-channel interleaved WAV that had NEVER been DTS encoded... hence the problem with everything trying to read it. Obviously, if I ever listened to it, it was from the original DVD-A disc. ;-)

I feel stupid!! Re-encoding both of those albums now.

atrocity
2015-07-22, 07:01
I converted the FLAC back to WAV and went to import, what I thought would be a DTS encoded file. It was a 6-channel interleaved WAV that had NEVER been DTS encoded... hence the problem with everything trying to read it. Obviously, if I ever listened to it, it was from the original DVD-A disc. ;-)

I feel stupid!! Re-encoding both of those albums now.

You read my mind! I was thinking about your error message this morning and remembered that I had seen it when sending a multichannel FLAC to a player.

Not sure how it works on a Mac, but if you can sort your library by file size you may be able to spot any other similar files as they'd be large.