PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young pulls his music out of streaming sevices

kidstypike
2015-07-15, 13:07
https://www.facebook.com/NeilYoung

I was there.
AM radio kicked streaming's ass.
Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming's ass,
and absolutely rocked compared to streaming.
Streaming sucks. Streaming is the worst audio in history.
If you want it, you got it. It's here to stay.
Your choice.
Copy my songs if you want to. That's free.
Your choice.
All my music, my life's work, is what I am preserving the way I want it to be.
It's already started. My music is being removed from all streaming services. It's not good enough to sell or rent.
Make streaming sound good and I will be back.
Neil Young

freelsjd
2015-07-15, 20:02
I saw this also, and so I am not going to be the first to post here.

I am a Neil Young fan myself for years. I also treasure my squeezebox, and have been and continue to be extremely disappointed in logitech for buying out slimdevices, and then just giving up on it.

I have also seen Neil live several times. The last time I saw him, he was solo, with a lot of electric. I was with my son, who just graduated. Neil was a very angry man. I have also seen other articles to that effect. I also read where he was recently divorced, and also let Crosby have it and they are no longer friends, apparently. It was not a joyous occasion.

Neil has invested heavily in Pono, so I get that. He would be hypocritical if he believes in Pono and then also allows music to be played at less than Pono resolutions. But seriously folks. There are a lot of streaming services now that send it out at CD quality. If he is talking about better than CD quality, then the human ear cannot detect that; especially at the age of myself...and Neil.

I have a bunch of analog albums, and I have always felt that I enjoyed the albums better than the CDs; even with the crackles and noise that comes along with the scratches on the vinyl and the putting up with the mechanics of a cartridge and needle. But the convenience of a CD, and now streaming and just playing digital in general is very hard to argue against. It is just better now than it used to be.

I just think Neil's anger may be causing him to go over the deep end.

Do you think other artist's will follow ? How many can afford to give up the main way for people to listen ?

paulster
2015-07-16, 13:25
The more Neil speaks, the more difficult it is to take him seriously. Not least when he has a business involved in music retail.

mooblie
2015-07-17, 03:16
AM radio kicked streaming's ass.
Analog Cassettes and 8 tracks also kicked streaming's ass....
Neil Young

Really?
It's hard to even imagine what his logic is here. One has to deduce there is none, and it's just a sad combination of anger and a (not so) hidden agenda.
He can't expect to be taken seriously any more.

banned for life
2015-07-17, 11:01
Neil's music on the streaming services I do not use.

I am fairly sure I have almost everything he has released except for some of the latest amalgams.

He is my go to when overchoice impedes my listening.

B4L