PDA

View Full Version : SB Touch & BT Home Hub 4 connection issue

nickinthelakes
2015-07-01, 04:37
BT have today 'upgraded' our Home Hub 3 to a Home Hub 4.

5 other devices in the house have connected to the new hub with no problem.

However, our trusty Touch will not connect.

The hub is found by the Touch and the correct password is entered: the following message appears:

"We were unable to connect using the above password"

Any help appreciated or even a direction in which to look!

(Sorry if posted in wrong section - if it is could Mod's please move it?)

Thank you.

nickinthelakes
2015-07-01, 05:03
Just phoned BT Technical.

Initially they wanted to do a hard reset of the Hub which I refused. I said I had found an article on the web that they (BT) could change some settings.

He knew nothing of this but went and asked someone and then came back with a number of setting changes and hey presto - all is now fine!

Do this on the Home Hub web page:

Advanced Settings > Wireless > 2.4 Ghz

Change Wireless Interface Type to: 802.11 b/g

Change channel to: Channel 1 & hit 'apply'

Switch to 5 Ghz

Change 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' to 'No' & hit 'apply'.

Hope this helps someone!

castalla
2015-07-01, 05:32
Just phoned BT Technical.

Initially they wanted to do a hard reset of the Hub which I refused. I said I had found an article on the web that they (BT) could change some settings.

He knew nothing of this but went and asked someone and then came back with a number of setting changes and hey presto - all is now fine!

Do this on the Home Hub web page:

Advanced Settings > Wireless > 2.4 Ghz

Change Wireless Interface Type to: 802.11 b/g

Change channel to: Channel 1 & hit 'apply'

Switch to 5 Ghz

Change 'Sync with 2.4 Ghz' to 'No' & hit 'apply'.

Hope this helps someone!

Hmmm .... I think this means all your devices will connect at b/g - the usual setting is b/g/n .

acollison42
2015-07-03, 18:06
If you are using channel 1 you should also be able to sync your microwave oven also. Channel 1 is the default of all items and could be a choke point. I recently switched all my WiFi stuff to clear little used channels. And I believed there is a speed advantage. I downloaded a WiFi channel sweeping program Vistumbler( on the laptop and not with me now) where I can see all the WiFi action within a block of my house( yes over a block away I could see the network but could not connect) . And I then switched my equipment.

Sent from my LR102 using Tapatalk

toby10
2015-07-04, 02:13
There is no speed advantage of one WiFi channel over another. Particular channels may result in a more robust connection (less interference, fewer glitches) but data transfer speeds are the same. Typically WiFi ch 6 is the most congested as this is the default ch most routers are set to from the factory. When switching to a less congested ch on a typical 11 ch router, one should only choose ch's 1 or 6 or 11 to avoid overlap interference from other common ch's (ex: ch's 2, 3, 4, 5 can be interfered with by BOTH ch's 1 and 6).